Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quitting drinking
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of alcoholics are able to function and hide their illness. Very few end up with the stereotypical crawling around or covered with newspapers lying in a gutter. Having worked with thousands of mechanics over the years I've met and worked with more than a few functional drunks, but I've seen a few change direction. What it comes down to is each person will choose their own way. Sadly some will relapse, some will die.

One in particular a man named Tyler came home from Vietnam Nam and got a job working for the airline loading cargo,that was 1966 and the war raged on. He told me he remembered loading the coffins and it really bothered him at about this same time he began drinking every day. His job also put him in direct contact with alcohol as they also cleaned the planes and emptied the trash. The liquor box was always accessible and they drank. They also looked in the baggage not to steal valuable items but they took prescription drugs and bags of weed because who would report that?

They kept a PDR that's physicians desk reference that listed all types of pills and dosages but occasionally would find pills being unable to identify. They would take turns trying small amounts to see what would happen. Tyler was unlucky enough to ingest a few pills then a short time later became incontinent and soiled his pants. Turns out he'd taken a laxative. Why am I telling you this? This is an example of drugged drunk behavior. By the 1980s he was starting to falter and get sloppy but not before he'd advanced and had people working under him now. Also the airline installed cameras to watch the baggage handlers.

He told me he became tired of hiding his illness and allowed himself to get caught drinking at work. He was sent to rehab and he did quit and then went on to become an A and P mechanic worked about 10 more years and regaled us with stories of his misspent youth, we were all alot younger and he was like a father figure to us. Tyler was lucky he got to retire Very Happy

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonbyu wrote:
drscope wrote:
If you are serious about quitting you have to go to AA. You can't do it yourself.

Absolutely not true. March 5Th I will be one year sober after quitting cold turkey. This was after drinking a 12 pack per night plus a handle of Scotch a week. This routine went on for me for years. I decided enough was enough and that was it. I have no desire to have a drink at all. Best of luck to the OG poster.

I applaud you for your success! I've heard similar stories from cocaine users. But you are one of a very few who are able to do this on their own. Most people can't.

Fortunately for me I never used alcohol or any type of drugs other then race cars, so I never personally fell under the spell. But in my family life I suffered the effects of the devastation addiction can do for several years.

From that I learned one very important lesson - if someone wants to quit, their BEST option is to get involved in AA or NA and use a proven system that is in place to help them. Anything less then that is just inviting the risk of failure.

A drinker or a user may be able to stop on their own, but an addict or an alcoholic can't. And even if they could, why pass up the opportunity to have support in your quest for being clean?

Point is that this isn't the time to argue over how macho or strong you are. If you were able to walk away that's great, but far too many others aren't capable of doing that and they need to be pointed and encouraged in the right direction.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another real life story. We have a family member born in 1925 that would make him 89. He fought in WW2 has lived a quiet life and has done well raised two kids and has drank alcohol most of his adult life. He has outlived several of his doctors while he enjoys scotch on the rocks around 4 pm every day. Is he an alcoholic? Probably, but is he going to listen to a 55 year old kid (me) tell him to lay off the booze? I doubt it.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Here's another real life story. We have a family member born in 1925 that would make him 89. He fought in WW2 has lived a quiet life and has done well raised two kids and has drank alcohol most of his adult life. He has outlived several of his doctors while he enjoys scotch on the rocks around 4 pm every day. Is he an alcoholic? Probably, but is he going to listen to a 55 year old kid (me) tell him to lay off the booze? I doubt it.

He doesn't sound like an alcoholic. Many people can enjoy a drink a day without struggling with addiction.
It sounds like he just enjoys life's small rituals.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjohnson67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 11.✅ ordered kadron jets instead of buying several 18 packs. Received em today.... could either have a beer in my hand talking about it, im doing it. But am i thirsty? Hell yes...iced tea taking care of me with a water back...☺
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjohnson67 wrote:
Day 11.✅ ...☺

One at a time, man. That's the way.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Quitting drinking Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

My grandfather enjoyed his daily 4 PM (Hmmm?) highball every day. He made it to 97. I should be so lucky. Smile
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

He drinks in moderation and is happy and as long as he was not neglecting his family then I don't see a problem.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
He drinks in moderation and is happy and as long as he was not neglecting his family .

and never.... EVER gets behind the wheel.. period

We scrapped my nephew and his friend off an Oak tree last Saturday Morning ....after the night of his 21st birthday..
Granted my nephew wasnt driving.. his friend was.. and both were out all day and night together, so lots of factors involved at 4 am...
Stupid choices..
I dont need pity or sorrow and not looking for that here.... Im not the one to feel sorry for.. so do not hijack this thread with pity. Stating mainly for a MESSAGE.
I feel sorry for 2 young men that have not even really lived yet.

Tell your driving kids... if they find themselves in that situation.. simply make that phone call.... no questions asked..

Each persons ability to say "when" or stop is different. What works for some may not work for another.

Alcoholism runs deep in my family... is it "bred" in? Is it a learned trait?
Who knows....and who really cares..???
I drink.. and yes have had too much at times.. Never been behind a wheel.. and am lucky to be able to turn the "want" on and off at will..
Some simply CAN NOT do that..

In the end.. the ONLY person that can make that decision is the individual. If that person is not ready.. it will never happen.. until they are

I applaud anyone that has realized they need help.. or its time to stop..
Its not easy by no means..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:24 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjohnson67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Sorry for your loss NUT. I hit 2 weeks today. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjohnson67 wrote:
Wow! Sorry for your loss NUT. I hit 2 weeks today. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Thanks and keep numbering those days.
My mom is at a day 391 today .and .. It hasnt been easy. She had been sober for 40 years, but when her father died she slowly relapsed into a serious problem. She totaled her car and turned the truck she hit into a Taco all drunk up about 3 years ago and refused to admit she had a problem even afterwards.. Granted there was a point when she was ready to stop... and thats all it took.
We just hope that with the death of her oldest grandson doesn't give and excuse..and cause a new numbering system...or worse.

You can do it... you got this..... as it sounds like you have your head where it needs to be to continue on the path.
Dont let this topic or your life go to waist by a bad choice.

Im a firm believer in the choices YOU make dictate YOUR future.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjohnson67 wrote:

Keep up the good work! Fill that hole left by not drinking with something positive!
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you. Admitting you have a problem is the first step. I run a program for alcoholics / substance abusers and "white knuckling" it alone doesn't work. Lean on people. Either through here, sober friends or an AA meeting. Its not for everyone, but its saved plenty of peoples lives.

Above all remember, its one day at a time. Focus on not drinking today. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

You can do this, and we are all here to help.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Passing The Torch Reply with quote

I divorced an addict who is primarily an alcoholic
Fought for custody of our daughters w/ everything I had
Emotionally - financially - physically
Our (3) daughters turned out to be adult addicts
Heroin - Alcohol - ???
Addiction destroys lives over generations
vwible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice that I can't dispute.
I lost a wife - and my sons, a mother - to liver failure as a result of alcohol. She was a functional alcoholic and I was right along with her through all those years.

For me, it's a minute-by-minute decision as to what to do with your hands:
-- pick up a beer
-- pick up another drink
-- pick up a tool or part and work with it.
-- take a rest and let the hands relax.

If I were still a chronic drinker, I certainly would not be enjoying my VWs.

Run the math on what you spend on drinks every year (adds up quickly) and decide it's a waste of time, talent and resources. It takes effort to get the money. It's best spent elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: If you are active in any addiction .. Reply with quote

If you are active in any addiction ....
If you are a parent of a child ...
Think about the legacy you are creating for your children
Think about their future & the future of their children
Addiction needs to live - it does not die with an individual
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, Great job staying away from alcohol. You're doing great and you're coming closer to breaking the "habit" of drinking each day. What is it? 28 days in a row to develop a habit?

I don't know if I've ever bought into the "it runs in the family" theory? My grandmother was a raging alcoholic who died in her 40's from it. While I never knew her, I know there's no other alcoholics in the family after her. Yes, some family members like to throw a few back but not in excess. I've leaned towards "learned behaviour or a product of your environment" more recently. Alcohol has never been something I particulary enjoyed or coveted. I only have a couple of drinks socially once a week, if that.

What's striking is how many of us use something to cope with lifes stressors. Some use booze. Some use drugs. Far too many are using food as a coping mechanism as illustrated by the obesity epidemic is the USA. These addictions also reinforce how pathetic the mental health system in our country is. People are navigating thru their lives and hitting rough patches. This is when they reach out and "use" something as a coping mechanism to get through it.

Lets all hope that their will be further investment from out country in all things mental health related. Stress isn't ever going to go away and possibly will worsen as modern life continues to evolve.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
jjohnson67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

28 days? On day 23. My 4 year old is now asking daily if I am in my slug bug. My ex thinks it s an eye sore. I have had to keep busy with it otherwise a drink still sounds good. I have had to evaluate relationships already. It has been entertaining for sure. Thank y'all for your support.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep up the good work! 12 pack a day gets expensive so think of all the VW parts you can buy with that money.
jjohnson67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding. I normally run with my debt card and got my statement a week ago. Shocked i have been feeding my vw addiction better than ever now! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: