Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche Pistons
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Porsche Pistons Reply with quote

So, I have a 3.2 Carrera engine that I am having rebuilt and I am looking at Mahle cylinders and pistons but they are listed as "EURO" and "USA". were the engine either side of the pond different, and if so, do I need to buy "USA" pistons for my USA engine?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, a little update.

It seems that the US versions are lower compression and are rated at 214 BHP whereas the Euro versions are rated at 231 due to higher compression. Is the US engine de-tuned for some reason?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpetteng wrote:
So, a little update.

It seems that the US versions are lower compression and are rated at 214 BHP whereas the Euro versions are rated at 231 due to higher compression. Is the US engine de-tuned for some reason?

Emissions.
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, as I thought. I will replace with Euro pistons and dump the catalytic converter as we are not emissions tested for old vehicles back in the UK.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpetteng wrote:
Thanks, as I thought. I will replace with Euro pistons and dump the catalytic converter as we are not emissions tested for old vehicles back in the UK.

Make sure you check specs on cam and valve sizes when you swap pistons. Make sure the compression is not the only difference.
Typically with detuning for emissions. ....the compression is rarely the only change. You will also typically see an ignition advance change as the aim of lowering compression for emmissions is to decrease NOX. Both compression and advance work toward this.

Just suggesting to do all the homework on both engines or you might have tuning issues. Ray
PMNorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also meed to get it chipped to update the engine for the modifications. you should get more than 231 out of it after that too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: