Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 euro type 1, 1300 with replacement engine
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcflame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: 67 euro type 1, 1300 with replacement engine Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

Here's the story. I picked up a 67 Euro Bug with a 1300 6 volt system. Now, I knew when I bought it the original engine was long gone having 648,000 km on the car. It has a remanufactured engine in there now. The owner, who brought the car with her from Germany in 1968 insists that it's a 1300. Reading information here I've learned that a lot of rebuilders opt'ed to up the upper half to a 1600 during their rebuild. This is what I'm looking to accomplish btw. The car is undergoing a restoration at the moment and will be going to the body shop next week for a while. So while the engine is out I want to rebuild it.

So here are my questions.
OH, also note that this is my first bug (at 52, yea I know - what took ya so long!).
As there is no identification stamped on the generator stand I have no way to identify what this engine is other then visually.
So, visually, can it be determined if this "1300" has been up'ed to something larger?
It is still a SP btw but I'm not sure which carb is sitting on it. It also still has the original twin inlet air filter housing if that maters (not sure if that would fit on a different carb).
If I can figure out what it is I'll know what to buy to do the overhaul - THAT IS, UNLESS y'all can say "hey, don't wast your time. You can get an upper half cheap at ????".
That works better for me anyway as i'd rather go that way I just don't know where to get a good kit OR what other changes I'll need to make (intake, carb etc).

So in closing, thanks for listening the the know nothing newbie ramble and
ALL INPUT IS APPRECIATED!!
Thank you all
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

You can not see if its a 1300 or larger, without taking the heads off.

There is no kit for refurbishment, so you have to take the engine apart, measure what you need to change, buy the parts and put it toghether again.
If your end play is good, oil is fine, I would not take the bottom end apart.

The twin inlet airfilter, is an original 1500 filter, the 1300 only got one inlet.

If the engine has no engine #, it is probably because it got a new case when it was refurbished. Or sometimes the # was deleted.

Good luck Smile

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: