Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which idler arm bushing?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Which idler arm bushing? Reply with quote

Cip1 has two bronze bushings, 71-72 and 73-74. For a 73 412. Thanks!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Which idler arm bushing? Reply with quote

bradself wrote:
Cip1 has two bronze bushings, 71-72 and 73-74. For a 73 412. Thanks!

I will measure mine when I get back this afternoon and tell you which one you need. I would call and ask them to measure the bushings.

I am betting the 1971-1972...because that bonded rubber bushing they list....is what the 411/412 used.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's this one.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-4021
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lahti411 wrote:
It's this one.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-4021

Thanks!
The 1971-1972 bushing on CIP1 did not list dimensions. I wonder what the difference is?

The funny part is that if you buy one, install it properly and keep it greased.....you should never have to buy another one again. I re-installed mine in the housing I refurbed this summer and measured it....."0" measurable wear after 89,000 miles.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Scroll down to see the housings complete, 2 different ones.

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=113-415-441
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradself wrote:
Thanks!

Scroll down to see the housings complete, 2 different ones.

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=113-415-441

Thanks! I see it. The earlier one is, shorter....hard to say on the pin diameter as well.

Its, funny....15 years ago virtually no one knew about the bronze bushing. It was originally a fix by VW.....in the last two years of the super beetle....for the teally, crappy handling and short life the original bonded bushing had.

I found one by accident in like....man...had to be 1998 or so....in a box of super beetle bonded bushings in Dallas. No one knew what it was by part #. I have been using that same bushing, ever since and now they make one for the early model too. Cool! Ray
bradself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately the Super Beetle crowd prevailed over the whiny independent VW mechanics crowd and THEIR endless whining over working on a vehicle other than the one that was designed in the 30's and stayed that way until it was no longer produced. I was once a Rambler fan, and those cars had torque tubes (rather than drive shafts) and trunnions (rather than normal knuckles) well into the 60's. And try finding front end parts for a damned Nash! The beetle and bus lovers are damned lucky; the foolish carping about how T4s are such POS is actually embarrassing IMO. It's a normal car, as normal as air cooled cars can get.

I appreciate my car more and more. Whatever the "fugly" assessment is about I have no idea, my wagon gets more car love and appreciative comments than any car I've owned since my Heckfloss Benz. The styling was at least a decade before it's time and though it could have had a more circumspect design team in the suspension department, as the first break away from that front beam beetle suspension it was tops. And who knows, maybe MB, BMW, Volvo fans of the same era cars carp endlessly about DJet, but honestly, compared to a beetle which is largely a riding lawn mower with doors and a roof, t4s are actually CARS!

IMO a 4 door wagon with the same 2.0 as the 914 and a gear box to compliment the power band would have been a sales hit. VW was simply too reserved designing these vehicles.

Want a car that's a complete PIA to access parts and mechanical expertise in the States? Try a Citroen Ami. Want an even more ridiculously underpowered undrivable aircooled car? Try a Vespa. The original clown car.

Presently I'm amazed by my vehicle, 393K miles. Show me a Nova or a Falcon with a half million miles still fetching groceries. And I'd do it again--I'd i had the wherewithal I'd hunt down a 4 door sunroof. Only regret would be that the hatchback prototype never made it out of the factory. Spoiled rotten beetle/bus owners should hang their heads when they run into one of these die hard cars that's still rolling.

Ok, rant over!! And good for the Super Beetlw crew too, curved windshields and all. Erggh!!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradself wrote:
Fortunately the Super Beetle crowd prevailed over the whiny independent VW mechanics crowd and THEIR endless whining over working on a vehicle other than the one that was designed in the 30's and stayed that way until it was no longer produced. I was once a Rambler fan, and those cars had torque tubes (rather than drive shafts) and trunnions (rather than normal knuckles) well into the 60's. And try finding front end parts for a damned Nash! The beetle and bus lovers are damned lucky; the foolish carping about how T4s are such POS is actually embarrassing IMO. It's a normal car, as normal as air cooled cars can get.

I appreciate my car more and more. Whatever the "fugly" assessment is about I have no idea, my wagon gets more car love and appreciative comments than any car I've owned since my Heckfloss Benz. The styling was at least a decade before it's time and though it could have had a more circumspect design team in the suspension department, as the first break away from that front beam beetle suspension it was tops. And who knows, maybe MB, BMW, Volvo fans of the same era cars carp endlessly about DJet, but honestly, compared to a beetle which is largely a riding lawn mower with doors and a roof, t4s are actually CARS!

IMO a 4 door wagon with the same 2.0 as the 914 and a gear box to compliment the power band would have been a sales hit. VW was simply too reserved designing these vehicles.

Want a car that's a complete PIA to access parts and mechanical expertise in the States? Try a Citroen Ami. Want an even more ridiculously underpowered undrivable aircooled car? Try a Vespa. The original clown car.

Presently I'm amazed by my vehicle, 393K miles. Show me a Nova or a Falcon with a half million miles still fetching groceries. And I'd do it again--I'd i had the wherewithal I'd hunt down a 4 door sunroof. Only regret would be that the hatchback prototype never made it out of the factory. Spoiled rotten beetle/bus owners should hang their heads when they run into one of these die hard cars that's still rolling.

Ok, rant over!! And good for the Super Beetlw crew too, curved windshields and all. Erggh!!

Dewd! Great rant!
I agree with all of that!........yes....you have to drive one of these to really get an odea of how much better of a car than ANY of the other aircooled cars.....the type 4 is.

I would take a nice, complete, original beetle for a good price just because I consider it preservation/antique collecting......but not in place of my type 4. The closest thing in improvements to the type 4....was the 1973 type 3.....and thats still far behind.

The styling of the 412 was actually not far off the mark. There are a handful of contemporaries working the same angles. Take a look at the nose or the BMW 3.0 CSI. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: