Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash pod switch functionality help
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all of the concerns guys, but I've pretty much already made up my decision. I would love to have a real split, but I drive my Beetle daily so actually owning and maintaing one as a daily wouldn't be very practical.

And getting an old shell would still be quite costly, because I would still have to source a lot of the split and kdf parts that I am wanting on top of the shell purchase price. Then pay someone to swtich my motor, tranny, etc., etc., to that car. Would end up costing way more to do it that way, to where I would be better of just getting a rough, unrestored split. Plus, even if I got my hands on a real split, there is no way I would switch or change anything on it. No way! I couldn't give up the original motor and tranny, because, damn!! it's a real split and swapping stuff out would be just wrong. I would want to leave it in it's original, unrestored condition. But can't do that because I need a daily driver. And, can't afford to keep 2 cars. Very costly do even own one car in Japan. Very costly!!! Wink

so back on topic if I may, does anyone have a close up of the high beam switch on the floor to the left of the cluth? I found one picture on the internet that was good, but I still couldn't see it as well as I would like to.

Also, does the stock speedometer light up with the lights on? Thanks guys!!!
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type1vwjapan wrote:
Also, does the stock speedometer light up with the lights on? Thanks guys!!!

Yes. Cool
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir,

Thanks for the answer! Appreciate your help! I figured it lit up, but didn't want to assume anything. That is one less thing I have to worry about on my long list of mods to my car.

And just to ellaborate more about my decision not to purchase an older shell.

I love my car that I have. It is in excellent condition, and there is hardly a speck of rust on it. No damage what so ever. Only has about 52,000 KM on it and purs superbly like a kitten with dual carbs. Rides as smooth as can be, too. No issues or quirks what so ever. Perfect. Wink So I really don't want to switch cars or anything like that, even to an early 60's Beetle shell. I would still want to give it that KDF look, and would not mod an actual beautiful 60's car.

Plus, it would require an ungodly amount of parts and swapping stuff over make it complete even if I got an earlier shell. All so I can just have smaller windows going around my car? I would love to have the smaller looking front window, side windows, and bigger doors with smaller windows, but to me it would not be worth the extra $10,000+ for that look. I think I can do something about making my car look like it's got smaller windows on it, but honestly don't have any ideas at the moment. I'm still open to ideas on that.

Right now I'm looking at about $10,000~$12,000 for EVERYTHING that I want to mod and change on my car to give it that split/kdf look that I'm hungry for. Not that bad since I only have about $6,000 in my car including the purchase price. Looking at a total of about $18,000 ($20,000 max) for a car that I can drive every day and not worry about reliability and the cost of repairing it once one of those rare split parts crapped out on me.

If I were to get an old shell I would be looking at almost $30,000 for everything that way. Wow...$30,000! that's close to the price of a nice $40,000 split now.

The way I'm doing it I can hav have the looks that are important to me for half the price and use it as a daily. Sure it won't be a real split, but I can live with that just fine.

Sorry if this makes you cringe in disgust about the thought of me driving a customized bug, usariemen.

I agree with you usariemen about many of the people who modded their bugs to split windows were poorly done and it literally looks like complete shit. Thanks to you, I owe you one!, I decided to not take the cheap way out and go with that sucky fiberglass shit. I also plan to redo the interior and dash so it won't look like as much of a freak show as you imagine it to be. Sure, it will still probably be an eyesore to you to see that split window, w deck lid, split popes nose, split tail lights, early front fenders and hood, split dash with dash pods, split 3 spoke wheel, banana bumpers, etc., but I will love it! Guess that's what's ultimately important.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra at work.
If I could believe that you would really be pleased for ever.
IŽd just leave you alone.
But if you keep up the passion and interest and you learn more about all that, the day will come and you will regret it.

Buy such one instead:
http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/vw...ref=search

You get a real vintage standard beetle with three spoke and semaphores for these 3500 euros. Add 2000 for getting it shipped and you have still a lot left for getting it on the road.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

type1vwjapan wrote:
...is that the highbeam switch? wow, that is so cool! You gotta love all the unique aspects of these cars!

actually, having the headlight dimmer on the floor next to the clutch pedal was quite common in the auto industry until about the seventies.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Buy such one instead:
http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/vw...ref=search

You get a real vintage standard beetle with three spoke and semaphores for these 3500 euros. Add 2000 for getting it shipped and you have still a lot left for getting it on the road.

Holy shit! I'll take it!

Don
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wreck a more modern Beetle? It too will be an interesting vintage car one day!

Just remember that you are only the custodian of a car that will be a true enthusiast's pride and joy in the future.

Unless YOU WRECK IT FIRST!!!

Rod

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys, as I posted in the Oval forum...I really owe it to all of you guys!!!! especially you, usariemen. It defintitely takes class to admit that I was in fact wrong. Embarassed Laughing

I finally realized and got it through my thick head that I won't be happy in the long run. even if I modded everything to look like a real KDF. because my car just wouldnt have that same vintage feel to it that I know.

I used to have a '71 and '74 back in the States. sure they were beaters, but the overall sense of nostalgie and history with the car made it a true classic car experience. Sure the Mexi cars are great, just now what I'm after. not at all. I love my car to death, but I know I will have to part ways with it one day.

hell, i even liked a nice '71 that my local shop was restoring. was a nice red color and reminided me of my old '74 I got when I was 16.

it's just too bad that many people assume it's an easy and not so costly process to import a car to Japan. I looked into that and it was a nightmare. a real mind f***. It still is hauting me as I speak.

So, I found this nice '53 stock oval with semaphores I wanted to puchase in Florida. It was in pristine condition. Looked a lot into it and decided I really wanted to buy it. So, you say just a couple grand to send a car here??? wrong...as much as I wish it was true.

My god its very costly. a 12k to 15k car will easity become 30k to 35k before I can even so much as dare to take it for a spin around the block legally. not to mentiond the fact that it could even possibley be denied at the port in Yokohama, then I would have to get a lawyer and take it to the court house, etc, etc. the list of BS just goes on and on and just spewed all over me when I looked into it all.

i love Japan, but man they suck in terms of giving people the screw on all of these hefty BS motor "inspections" and regulations. Don't even get me going on about these mandatory car inspection/road worthiness tests that are mandatory every 2 years and cost minimum of $1500. i wish it was a bad dream I could just wake up from. just got my car a couple of years ago RIGHT after its so called inspection. the damn thing had old worn tires, a faulty carburetor, the timing was a mess, engine tin missing, and the list just goes on. Car stalled and sputered all the way home. barely go it to start the next day I tried to take it to my local shop to see what the heck was going on.

some inspection and high standards that the Japanese Motor Division has, eh? Glad they are really looking out for the overall safety and welfare of the common people. Helps me sleep better at night. Rolling Eyes
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't there any facilitation in place for historic vehicles? after all if the mexi made it into japan when it was new, maybe so can an older model.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not anything to do with it being historic, which is one thing i have less to worry about. There's a lot of paperwork involved and if one signal digit is wrong on the paperwork it can be denied entry. as long as I was thorough with my paperwork and the same was for the seller, shouldn't be a problem. it's just a matter of fact of trusting the seller or not and hoping to god the car is in fact a legit car and its all up to date on the paperwork. thats the thing about buying a car over the net, you just dont know if your're not there in person.

my mechanic has connections and partners all over the US, and could probably get the car into the country no problem. it's just that it costs soooo much to get the damn thing here. so doesnt leave much money left for getting it on the road.

oh well, I will just hold onto my funds for a while, save up, get the oval or early 60s model I want, and be happy with my mexican bug in the mean while. as I've said, there's nothing wrong with mexi bugs, its just not the car I thought I'd fall in love with. I feel like I'm getting a divorce and trying a new, second life,lol. I'm actually in pain...but also know time will heal itself one day I'll find that perfect bug at the right time.

nice to hear from you Garba, and sorry I've never written back to you yet formally. I told you I'm bad at writing back. nothing personal and no offense meant.

even though my original plan would have cost a lot less, which I was right about, it just wouldn't leave being satisfied in the long haul like I initially thought. dodged that bullet. close one.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this split, located in Japan:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1618617

??? less shipping costs? no customs? less paperwork?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they want over 40k...out of budget. had my eye on that for a while. sale is pending too. thanks though!
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
type1vwjapan wrote:
...is that the highbeam switch? wow, that is so cool! You gotta love all the unique aspects of these cars!

actually, having the headlight dimmer on the floor next to the clutch pedal was quite common in the auto industry until about the seventies.
I had a 1976 Chevy that still had the high beam switch on the floor. PITA when you're trying to turn, downshift and shut off your high beams at the same time! Mad

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: