Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice from my ghia friends please
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Advice from my ghia friends please Reply with quote

Well, I had hoped it would never come to this but with a heavy heart I may be selling the ghia project. Some of you have followed my build here over the last few years. I have really enjoyed learning and building this car. But such is life that a significant change may result in selling the car. Without getting into to much detail as much as I like the car it wouldn't be right for me to keep and finish it and my wife have to see it should we not continue to be together. It was her dream and I tried to make it happen but other circumstances may force us apart and finishing the ghia and driving it would Be kinda shitty on my part.

So the question becomes, how best to sell for the most money. I have $13500-14500 in it

$1100 purchase
$1400 chemical dip
$700 free flyer
$800 in a cb 2" beam
$5000 1641 motor
$5300 in parts from KGPR
And another $500-$1000 in misc parts from the samba classifieds

The cars current state is:
Body off in bare metal. All rust repaired
Pan completely restored with patched pans, new cb 2 inch beam, leaves tie rods and all new brakes rebuilt by vw guy of 40 years. All new brake lines, rubber and steel, new master cylinder. New tires, blasted and powder coated wheels, new throttle/clutch cables.

In the KGPR boxes new wiring harness, gauges steering wheel etc. Lots of little bits for the car.

The car still needs a lot, interior, bumpers, paint and body work. You can check out my build thread. It brings you just about up to date except for a couple of patches.

What state would be best to sell, body bare and back on the chassis, body sealed on the chassis, sealed together and running. I could do the body work and leave it in primer for the next guy to decide paint color but I'm no body man. Some one with the money could drop the car off at a body shop and in two weeks have a painted body ready to assemble.

I'd appreciate any advice for getting it ready to sell. I know it will take the right person but I'd like to get $8500 maybe. Too high? Too low? Let me know what you guys think.

The build thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327220&highlight=

Thanks guys.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all of the mechanical work is done I would say body back on the chassis and running. A running car will always get more dollars and the buyer will have an idea as to the mechanical state of the car.

I would not do any body work or put in primer. This allows the buyer to see what work has been done. Filler and Primer can hid a lot of flaws. A body shop would rather have a car come in with a bare body than in primer. It allows them to get a better idea for the work that needs to be done.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nova is right.
Selling a "project" is a trying experience. Expect less than .50 on the dollar, just the way it is. Search others selling projects in the classifieds. Even completed cars rarely sell for what it costs to build them. Economics of VW's Crying or Very sad
Sorry that you are in this position, Good Luck!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just from a buyer point of view - I would almost say that I would rather see the car in primer, rather than metal patches everywhere. I think it depends on who you would be selling it to, some people might not want to take it to a body shop - and would rather have it in primer to squirt their color on and roll.

But I agree that you should put the motor in and make it able to drive. Alot of people might look at it and say "ugh a PROJECT". where if it at least runs and looks decent they can say" that's not a bad project"
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Do realize that I'll get about half of what I have in it and it will be a very small market. It's up in the classifieds but if it doesn't go I'll finish it. The bad thing is my color choice may not be another's but maybe if I go a stock color combo it will appeal to a larger crowd.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motorhead364 wrote:
but maybe if I go a stock color combo it will appeal to a larger crowd.

Definitely stick with stock color combos if you end up going that route. My $.02.

Best of luck selling her! I've been keeping an eye on your build as a fellow '63 Ghia enthusiast. I hope she goes to a good home.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Zodiac- wrote:
just from a buyer point of view - I would almost say that I would rather see the car in primer, rather than metal patches everywhere. I think it depends on who you would be selling it to, some people might not want to take it to a body shop - and would rather have it in primer to squirt their color on and roll.

But I agree that you should put the motor in and make it able to drive. Alot of people might look at it and say "ugh a PROJECT". where if it at least runs and looks decent they can say" that's not a bad project"

Its been my experience that a good body shop won't paint a car you bring in that is in primer...or if they do they will not guarantee the result. They will want to take the car back to metal so they can see what they are dealing with. Primer can hide a lot of problems. You can end up paying someone to take the primer back off.
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I wanted to do the body work all the way to primer and have a good shop paint it but they all say no because they can't guarantee the work because of mismatched products and such. Im going to see what happens with it in the classifieds this week. If nothing comes of it I'll probably go ahead with finishing it and then sell it.

I also think zodiac is correct. It looks more daunting in bare metal but if it were me looking all over again I would like to see the owners work. Although I do have tons of pics to show a possible buyer.

I think the original color was Bahama blue with a white top. I think it would look great that way. Along with original white interior. Only real difference from stock would be the motor and CB narrowed beam.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was just saying like if someone wanted to do a paint job them self, or at a buddy's house, as apposed to going to a shop. I do relize that some people might not have that option, but still seeing a car in primer is a lot more appealing - the pics are a plus - as you said.

You do have to justify spending $$$ for the body and paint though - but afterwords it should fetch a bit more money - and be appealing to more people.
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would it be shitty on your part to finish it and drive it? I would finish it and drive the hell out of it and enjoy every minute. Don't let her suck the joy out of you!

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me this is going through my head right now. I do love the car and have 100's of hours in it. Maybe I'll tell her it's for our daughter. Twisted Evil
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to get personal but I've been divorced and I wouldn't get rid of that car for anyone. IMO, if it was her wish to restore the car then it's her loss. Finish it and let her know how much you enjoy driving it.

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Zodiac- wrote:
Yeah I was just saying like if someone wanted to do a paint job them self, or at a buddy's house, as apposed to going to a shop. I do relize that some people might not have that option, but still seeing a car in primer is a lot more appealing - the pics are a plus - as you said.

You do have to justify spending $$$ for the body and paint though - but afterwords it should fetch a bit more money - and be appealing to more people.

x2
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
I don't mean to get personal but I've been divorced and I wouldn't get rid of that car for anyone. IMO, if it was her wish to restore the car then it's her loss. Finish it and let her know how much you enjoy driving it.

...every situation is different... I say, show extreme kindness...good karma will get you everywhere.

I was divorced once, back in 1980 Sad she told me she wanted a divorce. I did not see it coming... After I composed myself, I went back to her and said, let's walk around the house and address everything we own and make a list of everything you want and I want. We agreed that most of the nice household stuff would be hers and just some basics for me.

We agreed, she would get the house and I would get the equity in the house and have my name removed from any future home responsibility, by the attorney...I would get all the cars, with the exception of the family car...a 1976 Honda Civic, which was paid off...and I would get the use of the garage for one year or until I was settled elsewhere and my project cars would be safe.

...did not want her to suffer and did not want to fight over anything...was a smooth divorce and after the dust settled as mentioned above, we both got what was important to each of us...was a non-contested divorce by me and that simplified everything. We have remained friends, to this day...was a win/win...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for your situation, but in my divorce.......I kept the car with no remorse.

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really solid advice Zen. Im not divorced but my best friend went though one a few years ago. They did as you did (its not easy). They only winners in most divorces are the attys, dont trust them. Dont jack up the credit cards to get back at her/him, dont F-up your credit, dont use a bottle as a crutch, dont hate, move forward. Aint easy but if you can keep your head straight, you will be better off. Good Luck Motorhead, find your Zen Cool Physical work on the ghia could help clear your head and keep your hands busy.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
...did not want her to suffer and did not want to fight over anything...was a smooth divorce and after the dust settled as mentioned above, we both got what was important to each of us...was a non-contested divorce by me and that simplified everything. We have remained friends, to this day...was a win/win...

Oh I agree. Divorce sucks no matter who it happens to and it's hard. The easier you can make it the better it is on everyone but you have to admit....finishing the car and getting enjoyment out if it is just one button you'd love to push! Twisted Evil

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand divorce, I know it's common but........
To love one day and hate tomorrow..... ????

Anyway, if the Ghia isn't a factor in the who get's what game..... You've invested a small bucket of money and a good portion of your life in it.

Keep it!
If nothing else, remember the better days gone by when unbridled passion reigned! When life was simple!

Nothing like Ghia to drive around in with a huge stupid smile on your face!

Don't cut yourself short now. Younare in the midst of an emotional roller coaster, don't go making a decision today that you will regret tomorrow.

And Yes, someday your Child may want the car, right after she pries the key out of your cold dead hand she can have it!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Really solid advice Zen. Im not divorced but my best friend went though one a few years ago. They did as you did (its not easy). They only winners in most divorces are the attys, dont trust them. Dont jack up the credit cards to get back at her/him, dont F-up your credit, dont use a bottle as a crutch, dont hate, move forward. Aint easy but if you can keep your head straight, you will be better off. Good Luck Motorhead, find your Zen 8) Physical work on the ghia could help clear your head and keep your hands busy.

I agree. The toughest thing to do in a divorce is to part on amicable terms. Children bind the parents together forever no matter where they go to live. It's a time to think far ahead and to be gracious. If she once loved you she'll understand and she won't deny you the pleasure of finishing your restoration project.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually how I got my car..

The guy got it for his girlfriend and was fixing it up for her to drive, they broke up - and he wasn't a ghia guy so he got rid of it, so now I own it. He was supprised she didn't try to take it from him, but they weren't married or anything so that would be illegal anyways.

Being an outsider and not knowing your situation in particular I would consider keeping it and driving it a while - but I could also understand why you might want to sell it. Plus a car with 10 miles will sell for the same as one with 10,000 Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: