Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shifter coupling, stock, aftermarket?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panic_fan wrote:
just curious how often these things wear out on average.

Depends on how gorilla-fisted your previous owners were. And if you pull the engine without supporting the transaxle or not. My bus is going on 46 years on the original, with a good spare in the onboard stash. ("Good" means I've installed it and tested it. There's nothing fun about spending time on the side of the road with parts that don't fit.)

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
deronmoped wrote:

I was surprised, it had German and VW stamped all over it, yet it was not made very good.

I also bought this same "German" coupler. The rubber blocks or inserts and the pin that goes thru them was garbage. I went and bought the EMPI made red, hard urethane coupler. I was shocked how much better it was compared to the "German" one. The German rubber blocks had far to much flex/slob in them and the urethane had no movement.

Just ordered one of these. the stock one was missing the bolt that runs through and holds the rubber bushings in place. Right now 3rd gear is non existent.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alikatcraig wrote:
Retailers should be aware of this quality issue and not be selling them as 1st quality.

And WE need to hold their feet to the fire. There is absolutely no motivation whatsoever for them to improve the quality on their own, but they will respond to our demands.

The rubber inserts are FINE at reducing buzzy gear shifter, and add a nice little springy kertock to your gear engagement. They only fail when the hockey stick seal is leaking transaxle oil all over them.

All couplers, "German" (Turkish)(Mexican)(whatever) or aftermarket, should be inspected for how the collar is attached to the stamped metal cage. We had a painful batch of those things loosening up at the swege and you could not tell by inspecting, everything would look fine, but under torsional load, there would be an almost imperceptible movement that made stop plate adjustments extremely annoying and finding your gear a guess. I think it was German Supply that scored some welded ones. Don't know what the current bunch does to make sure that joint holds together.
Colin
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have current recommendations? I thought maybe while the trans is out I would look at this again. Out of the four or five that have been purchased I've been able to assemble one unit that I am using but it really isn't what I would call quality. Had to bend the cage to tighten it up. Before I pay someone to weld the end I'd like to have one that is reliable. The original was nice but the rubber had rotted.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using the solid machined one that another Samba member makes and sells in the classifieds. Really nice work, hasn't caused me a lick of trouble in 30K miles...only negative I can think of is that there's no rubber buffer between the tranny and stick to eliminate all vibration.

My experiences wfinding stock ones were the same as yours, Steve. :-/

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed two of the off brand "red plastic" kind that other vendors sell, and then I removed them and installed two of the genuine VW ones that Wolfsburg West sells. Of the two, the VW one is far better, albeit not perfect. I squeeze the cage down a tiny bit so the rubber bushings fit tighter. Given the option, I would also weld the cage where it is crimped, and tack the round receptor where it is staked in.

Can you believe that the cheapo style red bushing couplers come with a set screw that isn't pointed? It's a damn hex bolt, and a damn shame. Brian has the billet aluminum kind, which has absolutely zero play, but his exhaust is too loud for me to tell if there is any shifter noise. Cool I'm happy with the WW/VW unit.

This is what you don't want:

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
I'm still using the solid machined one that another Samba member makes and sells in the classifieds. Really nice work, hasn't caused me a lick of trouble in 30K miles...only negative I can think of is that there's no rubber buffer between the tranny and stick to eliminate all vibration.

My experiences wfinding stock ones were the same as yours, Steve. :-/

- Doug

Does this mean you have shifter vibrations/buzz in the cab?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 from Wolfsburg West. Late genuine VW. Better quality than many although not as good as those old stock ones that are almost impossible to find. Screws lack safety wire holes, and grub holes are drilled at a slight angle - done by morons instead of skilled craftspeople to make Wall Street happy. Whatever is most cost effective I guess. Nickel Chrome color but painted bronze by VW. Inserts are genuine VW and made in Germany.

Took it by my local welder to have the cage welded so it can never spin. This should take care of it although I'll probably repaint to stop the rust on the weld.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Shifter issues Reply with quote

Just recently had to weld my old shifter cage, because the new cast cage would not line up. The old one did exact same thing as the video, very hard to get 1st,2nd, and reverse. I put in the urethane bushings, but it is very noisy and causes the shifter to vibrate quite a bit. I'm going to switch back to the rubber bushings. I also had to weld the ring on the bottom of the shift rod, just above the shifter ball, where it developed a flat spot on the right side where it rubs agaisnt the shift plate. The adjustment plate also needed a bit of welding on the right side where it curves upwards. The shift rod pin at the bottom also had a flat spot, so it got a bit of weld too( the slot in the front lower shift rod probably needs looking at, too). Now I only have a couple inches side to side play in the shift rod, much smaller throws. I highly recommend everyone check all these wear spots and repair them.
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shift bushings?!? Oh, don't even get me started!

Anyone remember my thread from 2010? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=429742
Believe it or not, these are still going strong!

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter coupling, stock, aftermarket? Reply with quote

I don't want to start a new thread so I'll pick this one. Can anyone tell me how tightly the coupling is supposed to sit on the shift rod. The Bentley doesn't list a torque for the bolt and not sure if it's supposed to have the ability to rotate up and down or not.
yellowCOwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifter coupling, stock, aftermarket? Reply with quote

Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one..

My stock ‘78 shifts fine but have noticed a noise getting worse when shifting. I crawled under there today and the shift rod is actually rubbing on the bottom of a cut out piece of the body right before the rear cage being discussed earlier in this thread.

I was able to get it to stop making noise, but was wondering if anyone had seen this before? The front bushing looks good still.

'78 Westy
Currently yellow and white "Sunny"
A few other air cooled VW and Porsches over the years
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter coupling, stock, aftermarket? Reply with quote

My long gear shift rod was all rusted so I made a new one as exact to the original as possible, however I ended up with a the shift rod just vibrating against the chassis cross member cut out slot just as you describe.

I tried two different couplings and found that there was a slight variation in the geometry of them, I had also replaced the engine and box mounts and found that any small changes could cause the shift rod to catch the chassis.

In the end i applied a true "engineering fix" and put a zip tie around the top of the chassis rail and under the rod just to cradle the weight/sag of the rod and it worked a treat!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: