Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any New Zealanders Run into a Crazy American on a Bicycle?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Any New Zealanders Run into a Crazy American on a Bicycle? Reply with quote

So one of my good mechanic buddies got back from New Zealand a couple weeks ago and was amazed by the country. He helped me get neck deep into Volkswagens and as a retirement gift to himself he spent over a month in yalls wonderful country biking and camping on the side of the road and saw a majority of the country. While I was home last weekend he exchanged many a story from his adventure, including countless VW's he saw while there, which caused me to post to see if anyone may have seen him around. While on his stay from12/28/2014-1/26/2015 he said that many a time he received generous hospitality from folks , sometimes resulting in a free meal or a place to crash out of the weather. Kind of a long shot, but I thought I would ask. I don't know how many tourists from america just decide to bike the whole damn place, especially at retirement age, but I figured he probably stood out.

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kiwis are wonderful folks. I once stopped to help a lady with a flat tire, and her gratitude at that simple gesture was overwhelming. Some can be Mr. Hyde while driving in traffic, but generally a very gracious people.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
The Kiwis are wonderful folks. I once stopped to help a lady with a flat tire, and her gratitude at that simple gesture was overwhelming. Some can be Mr. Hyde while driving in traffic, but generally a very gracious people.

Boy that Mr Hyde comment made me laugh as that's exactly how I describe Kiwi's when they get behind the wheel - but not in a mean way.

I bike toured much of the So Island in 1990 and the Kiwi's are truly great people and countryside is gorgeous. But as you are peddling up hill on a "metal road" (Gravel road), they fly by you at 60 mph spraying rocks and you can picture them saying "Poor old chap giving it a go on such a hot day!" Laughing

On a curvy narrow mountain, I was on the inside with a rock face on the left, as a car went around the corner, his rear fender actually brushed my front pannier. I just kept focused and stayed upright.

Man I want to go back!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on seeing the title I died laughing! It just seemed so random. I only have seen 3 kiwis on the samba but 2 of the 3 I see frequently on the ghia forums. Both living in auckland. Lets hope they see this post. I plan on driving around some place just wandering for a year when I turn about 30. That sure will be fun!
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to Piss off a New Zealander?
Tell them their Flag looks just like Australia's......

Volatile reaction!
"No it doesn't! Look at the stars! ........... Laughing

Been there, done that....... Innocently the first time but now it's become a yearly sport as a new crop shows up every Spring!

Try telling a guy from Wales that he's English......... Whoa!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best man at my NZ wedding owned a flag manufacturing company in Auckland, and he'd point out the occasional Aussie flag being flown as a NZ flag ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: