Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fears I'm over my head.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arkansauced
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't right it your backyard but it's also not across the entire country. Seems like a good deal. I'm not affiliated at all:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1753845
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkansauced wrote:
I know this isn't right it your backyard but it's also not across the entire country. Seems like a good deal. I'm not affiliated at all:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1753845

What the actual heck.
How did I miss this one. Maybe I need to remove the requirement that it's 1969 and up. Hmmm.
People seem to be hiding the IRS in the old models and I'm not noticing. I honestly want IRS on the car period.

Oh hey! Since I'm just gonna use this thread so I dont make a wall of other threads, I'm looking at a couple engines for a possible engine drop in, they are turn key kits built by some company. I don't have them on me, but I'm looking at things like a longblock 2100+CC motor that is aircooled and I'm wondering it 2100+ is too much engine or if there is some sort of issue, they are bored for 90.5 and some other such stuff, I'll edit the post with links in a moment.,

EDIT--
THESE GUYS
http://www.mamotorworks.com/vw/subcategory/longblocks-turnkey-engines-vw-vw
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the Phoenix Craigslist to see across section of what is available at what price. it is not uncommon to not see a VW engine on Albuquerque Craigslist for months, there are always engines in Phoenix.

IRS retrofit on <68 cars: you have to hammer dents in the frame horns to make the CVs fit. it is not really a solution, it's a shift to a different problem.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How goes the search?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strong suggestion - use the Mid America catalog for looking at pictures and thats about it. I dont know who builds their engines, but I would not trust them as far as I can throw them. There is a thread on feedback for various vendors and they dont get many high reviews. Let me put it this way, I ONCE got an order from them that I was happy about.

You may have some decent engine builders in FL that are close enough to drive to. If you are having it shipped, then it can be from anywhere. Anabel Chico and others keep popping up as quality builders. Think long and hard about what your desired goal is for the car before you contact anyone. If this is for a dependable daily driver and some play, you will go for a pretty conservative set up with strong low/mid torque. Would suggest a 1914 at minumum.

If you want turn key, you will pay quite a bit more than just a long block, BUT usually you will get a proven combination and some even tune the engine for you before shipping.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manasteel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO these are not daily drivers. they lack heaters, defrosters, and if you are hard on it it will break! 30 years ago I had a stock type 4 It was amazing the hills it would climb the mud it would go through, not much for ground clearance but I was hooked! I need a baja. it was my dd. I found myself working on it monday- friday so I could go break it on saturday. I was young and beat the hell out of the poor car, it was almost always broken but it was fun. I bought another a couple years back to build its a TOY. I like driving my 07 dodge pick up to and from knowing everything works and im warm. by the way turning brakes are a must!!!!! way to much fun... also a factor in why it broke
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so...attempt number TWO on this post.

I'm USN, currently unable to go searching for a car, and the internet is *way* too slow for anything beyond forums.

The design I've laid out for the car is as follows.

Step 1
Locate a functioning and serviceable "rolling" body. Little to no rust, or serviceable areas that can be replaced simply. This should be on top of a good quality pan, IRS, and working transaxle.

Step 2
Place purchased engine or refurbished engine bought online, preferably 2000CC+, Dual carb, with heaters and proper protection. Mount on car, and OP test. Remove after function test.

Step 3
Strip body from pan, remove rust and old paint from both. Strip back seat, remove mounting positions. Measure for fuel tank placement (outlined below in notes). Strip interior of front seats and all cloth.
Drill plug hole(s) for drainage with threaded cap stops.

Step 4
Sand and prime pan with anti corrosion agent, then rhino line.
Prime and paint body with anti corrosive, then matte forest green.
*possible*- Rhino line lower quarters of body to ensure against body damage from rocks. Remount body to pan.

Step 5
Replace interior with sound deadening material, new cloth. Maintain floor as rhino lined. Mount new fuel tank and lines in back, flush to storage area making a flat surface.

Step 6
Place new or like new harness front seats. Ensure seats can slide and adjust, leaning preferable. Update lights, streamline electronics and ensure all wiring is up to electrical standards.
-
Beyond this point, all steps are to begin working on the functionality of the car. All previous steps were to ensure it met quality standards.
-

EDIT INBOUND FOR NEXT STEPS. WILL UPDATE WHEN ABLE.
WORK CALLS.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can tell you from everything that i have done since i bought my baja bug last year. i went into it with little knowledge at all. i could get my way around a car. but i was far from technical. you will learn as you go if you are willing to. the great part about this website is you have more people out here to help you troubleshoot an issue than anywhere else i can imagine. and.... if someone steers you in the wrong direction everyone else will massacre them. Twisted Evil so truthfully i would recommend getting one that is already built up pretty well. it will cost you a lot less, there is plenty to learn on one that is already built without having to do all the work. one that is already built up and ready to roll will allow you to learn the smaller parts of a vehicle first rather than diving in and getting burned out. if you do not know much about working on cars then start off with one that runs and drives well. then as things wear out or need changed work on them. or upgrade to other things. there is always something out there that is and or could be better to try on your car. i may have missed it but what kind of budget are you dealing with?
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a massive undertaking for someone new to the car thing, but if you have the oomph then go for it. Why do you want a 2000+ CC? Nothing wrong with a stocker if it gets you around good and you'll be able to learn how to communicate with your motor, ask it how its feeling, what it needs, etc. You can go with a center mount 2 barrel for simplicity and a little power boost, see Weber, EMPI. Not to mention parts at any auto chain for those stock motors. After that just start driving it and have fun.
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyNukaCola wrote:
That sounds like a massive undertaking for someone new to the car thing, but if you have the oomph then go for it. Why do you want a 2000+ CC? Nothing wrong with a stocker if it gets you around good and you'll be able to learn how to communicate with your motor, ask it how its feeling, what it needs, etc. You can go with a center mount 2 barrel for simplicity and a little power boost, see Weber, EMPI. Not to mention parts at any auto chain for those stock motors. After that just start driving it and have fun.

The only reason I say 2k engine setup is for the design I'm hoping to go with. The end goals and next set of steps I want to run in with the vehicle are to basically make it "sailorproof", this is something I want to make as my friends have described it..."stupid durable", "Zombie apocalypse go-to car", " 'Navy redundancy level' "
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-
Beyond this point, all steps are to begin working on the functionality of the car. All previous steps were to ensure it met quality standards.
-
[/quote]

....CONT

Step 7
Working from the base, up. Lift-Tires-Suspension upgrades throughout.

Step 8
Strip and have inspected transmission, get the crash course in how they do that stuff (Got a buddy who'll show me, I have a lot of resources available in my local base, and you pay them IN BEER).
Repair and modify as needed.

Step 9
Re mount engine, mount fuel tank (15-20 gallon, undecided), run lines and fuel input through roof or sidewall.

EDIT- Mount dual battery setup with parallel wiring. Mount beefed up alternator much like the old police interceptors had to run all their electric.

Step 10
OP test, begin fine tuning and running of vehicle through it's paces. Break down vehicle and build up again as needed.

Now Nuka, you say "if I have the oomph". I'm almost obsessive about my machinery. I tend to take things apart and put them back together on a near absurd need to know how things operate. I have *absolutely no idea* how much this would cost, and for that matter no idea what I'm doing. That however, is how I've always dived into things, This may very well just....take me a bit longer.

Well, unless I get a functioning one and then work my way up from there. Which might be smart, I think I might try to follow what winchin has said and find a functioning one, then work from there.

EDIT 2-

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1662069
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1731084
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1745978
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1754580
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1674226

I'm sifting through the stuff right now. Trying to balance price vs distance needed to get it, I'd love to buy some 10-14k machine and call it a night but the problem is shipping it to me. That and I'm trying to down grade my debt to banks, not upgrade. I wanted to try and find something for 3-4k and pay it off outright with tax returns and a quick billing cycle of less than a year, so my money could go to upgrading it.
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one with the zombie apocalypse theme already jump started.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1753835

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
johndl58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the class 11. Blank slate, with some extras.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1662069
Note...This is NOT a race car and it has been for sale for quite a long time, but they haven't dropped the price. In southern California, there are quite a few better cars for a lot less $$.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In over your head?

Some movie line went, "a man's got to know his limitations".

I dunno your limitations (if any) but thats irrelevant. You have to search you for the answer....if you bs me - no big deal. But bullshit yourself and you'll pay the price.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: