Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Even have a chance without weld thru primer ?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Even have a chance without weld thru primer ? Reply with quote

I purchased two spray cans of weld thru primer that have both been unusable. They were bought at different times (several months apart) and at different places. Neither would spray from the get go (shook them forever too before trying). Ball rattles but depress the button on both and nothing happens. I could not take either back - lost the receipt on the first can and too much time had passed on the second can. I do not want to drop another $18 bucks on another can.

Frustrated, I attached a quarter panel without it, a few months back. I am worried about the area that surrounds the wheel - the lip where the outer quarter and inner wheel well are joined together. They were both spot welded together, shiny metal to shiny metal. The "outside" of these pieces are in epoxy of course - but do I even have a chance of these areas not rusting out?

I figured I'd spray the inside of these panels (from an opening inside the trunk) with some kind of coating like waxoyl, 3m Rust fighter, or internal frame coating like Eastwoods sells. What do you guys recon, do I have a shot of it not rusting or am I doomed?

Doug C
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

STOP! You want as much protection for the car as possible. Is your months (years?) long restoration not worth $18 to do the job right? It may be too late for that one panel now, but for the future read below.

That being said, this happens all the time with my primers. Usually after I don't invert the can and clear the material from the tip by pushing it down. The material hardens in the nozzle and no joy next time I go to use it.

To help solve the problem immediately, I take the tip off and put it on a can for brake cleaner. Spray the nozzle a few times. That usually dissolves the nasty bits that clogged the tip.

If that doesn't work, leave the tips in paint thinner overnight. If that doesn't work, steal a tip off another can.

Both of those cans are usable with another tip.
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also just use brush on weld through.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLDveedubs wrote:
Both of those cans are usable with another tip.

No, I switched out several tips on both cans.. tips known to work, even new tip off cans that hadn't been sprayed before. Neither would work at all, I tried every thing including adding thinner to the nozzle (tip removed) and letting it sit.

Doug C
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
You can also just use brush on weld through.

Now, that sounds like a good idea. Ok, I'll look for that .

Doug C
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what about my quarter panel that's already welded on - should I bust it open an re-do with brush on primer or will encapsulating in paint inside and out do?

Doug C
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I would go with the internal frame coating from Eastwood, and use that long extension that comes with it to get as far back in there as possible.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I think I will go with the Internal Frame coating.

I'm considering trying to open up the seam in between the spots [but there must be 50 spots] (if that's even possible) with a small thin flat-head screw driver - and spray the coating in there too. Close it up with hammer and dolly after it dries, then epoxy the outside and internal frame coat the inside area.

Doug C
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug C wrote:
Yea, I think I will go with the Internal Frame coating.

I'm considering trying to open up the seam in between the spots [but there must be 50 spots] (if that's even possible) with a small thin flat-head screw driver - and spray the coating in there too. Close it up with hammer and dolly after it dries, then epoxy the outside and internal frame coat the inside area.

Doug C

I don't even think they went to that much trouble at the factory! The Internal Frame coating is pretty good stuff, it'll get into the nooks and grannies.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to revisit an old subject but I prefer to be overly cautious, especially if it's practically free.

I have sprayed the inside of the wheel arches (the area between the rear quarter panel and the inner wheel wells) with inner frame coating (rust incapsulator paint) and hopefully that'll keep my wheel arches from rusting thru - since I plug welded them together without weld-thru primer.

But I was thinking.. I have plenty of seam sealer on hand - would it be advisable to add it in the bottom of where the two panels come together? Smear it in that long joint real good? I'm just trying to eliminate moisture getting in there what so ever. Thoughts?

Doug C
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the panels that were joined together by plug welding (spot welding at the factory), then had seam sealer put over the entire length of the panel edge to seal it (like the pan halves on the floor). So no harm ever came from sealing the metal too good from moisture!

Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Most of the panels that were joined together by plug welding (spot welding at the factory), then had seam sealer put over the entire length of the panel edge to seal it (like the pan halves on the floor). So no harm ever came from sealing the metal too good from moisture!

Yea that's what I was thinking too... but then again I've never personally seen any factory placed seam sealer around the inside of a wheel arch - of course the factory used other precautions.

What had me worried about adding seam sealer there is that I'd heard of one or two makes having some kind of "foam" sprayed into the lower rear quarters and possible the arches at the factory and it eventually promoting rust thru holes by un-intentionally trapping moisture. I think the British Stag being one. But then foam and seam sealer are different products. I think I'll probably go ahead and do it for an extra precaution - unless anyone has a good reason not to. Thx.

Doug C
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: