Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Out for a nice, long drive back in 2010
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Out for a nice, long drive back in 2010 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldsplitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was such an amazing weekend. Thanks for posting the pics, great memories.

Will
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldsplitvw wrote:
That was such an amazing weekend. Thanks for posting the pics, great memories.

Will

x2 I can honestly say that those events (Solvang, Bad Camberg, Hessisch) are the most exciting things in my life right now...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Out for a nice, long drive back in 2010 Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

No plates? What about insurance?

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for a nice, long drive back in 2010 Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:

No plates? What about insurance?

Plates and insurance are unrelated in the states other than most states require that you have both.

I've got registration and plates for the state my car is registered in (My home state) but I've only ever run the California black plates that were on it when my grandma owned and drove it years ago.

The only exception was last summer on a trip to Winnipeg, Canada. I tossed on My MN plates to get through customs each way.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If related to an isurance or not, a car here around has to have plates on it when driven on a street.
Just to be able to identify it in case of trouble.

"You got hit by a car and it drove away? Wich one was it?" "A beetle."

So in the states you can drive without anything on the car?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
If related to an isurance or not, a car here around has to have plates on it when driven on a street.

you still have to have plates on it. If you do not (like when you buy a car you have 30 days to put plates on it) be prepared to be stopped.

In many states (not in all) you have to have a current inspection and tax sticker on the plate.

this is a very common form of temporary tag:

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Bill that does look like a memorable trip indeed! Looks like your oval was lovin' it as well.
Nice weather in the pics by the way (unlike right now Smile , those pictures work very well against the Midwest winter blues Wink

In Illinois you have to have valid (so with validlicense plate sitcker) license plates (front and rear!) which are in good condition showing on the vehicle, otherwise you're up for a fine fine.
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/police/faq.html

And if for instance you are resident of Chicago, you have to have a valid city permit sticker on your front windshield as well.

And of course you need to have proper insurance as well.
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/mandatory_insurance.html

If you buy a car in Illinois, you can apply for a temporary license plate, but a card board definitely won't do in the Land of Lincoln....
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/title_and_registration/trp.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
usariemen wrote:

you still have to have plates on it. If you do not (like when you buy a car you have 30 days to put plates on it) be prepared to be stopped.

In many states (not in all) you have to have a current inspection and tax sticker on the plate.

this is a very common form of temporary tag:

This is amazing, if you can drive around with that, considering plates have been mandatory in most countries ever since about 1905 or something. One thing is insurance, which I understand can be validated in other ways. But being allowed to drive around with a car not possible to identify by an individual code, even just for a limited time, amazes me. Here there are temporary stickers that you must buy for a day, or longer, if your car needs to be moved, test driven etc. They are about 50 dollars a day! and covers insurance towards third party, not your own car.

Note that I am a renegade myself, having test run my own cars without plates on numerous occations, so I am not critizising anyone here, it is just amazing to discover how this is handled in other countries. My dad used to switch plates between his two cars, depending of which one was running at the time, but then we are talking about the 60's. And if he did get caught, or even worse, found himself in an accident, no matter whose fault, he would have been in shit so deep you wouldn't even have seen his scalp.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way you can do that in Arizona or California, I guess Georgia has no laws. Smile

We have actual printouts from the DMV that are legal temporary tags.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the UK (including Northern Ireland) a vehicle has to be 'registered' with our licensing authority, the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority) before it first goes on the road.

License plate layouts have been in various formats over the years but always identifying the area where the vehicle was first registered and from 1963 some identity of the year it was first registered. Unfortunately to the layman these identities are not simple to decode.

Unlike some countries of the world our license plate follows the vehicle throughout its life regardless of ownership changes or area it 'lives' in. However personal plates can be purchased if the required sequence of numbers & letters match current standards and are not used by anyone else. These personal plates can be transferred between vehicles all at a cost payable to the registration authority of course!

The motor trade has access to 'Trade Plates' which are numbered in a unique sequence and issued to a trader for temporary use on a vehicle which has no permanent owner or insurer.

A minimum of Third Party insurance is compulsory on every vehicle used on the highway and only applies to drivers named with the insurance company (of which there are many). The insurance companies must share information with the DVLA on-line and various authorities are able to check that a particular license plate has valid insurance. These checks can be carried out digitally on-line with ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) cameras either mobile or fixed which in many cases can check for excess speed, valid annual Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) payment etc.
There is no outward marking in a vehicle to confirm that it (and its driver) have current insurance in place.

So if you drive a vehicle in the UK be wary, you are being watched! And issued with a fine if you are committing any of many offences!

Just to add insult to us all the City of London has both congestion and emission rules and charges (and more cameras to enforce them) over and above anything said above!

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
There is no way you can do that in Arizona or California, I guess Georgia has no laws. Smile

We have actual printouts from the DMV that are legal temporary tags.

believe me, there are official watermarked temporary plates you get when you purchase a new car in georgia, but you can still just call your insurance, say hey i need proof of insurance for another vehicle. all you need is a little card with the insurance policy number on it, in case you get stopped, and then 30 days to put proper tags on....

in the meantime a piece of cardboard with wildly differing spellings of "tags applied for" as a stand in Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:
The insurance companies must share information with the DVLA on-line and various authorities are able to check that a particular license plate has valid insurance. These checks can be carried out digitally on-line with ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) cameras either mobile or fixed which in many cases can check for excess speed, valid annual Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) payment etc.
There is no outward marking in a vehicle to confirm that it (and its driver) have current insurance in place.
So if you drive a vehicle in the UK be wary, you are being watched! And issued with a fine if you are committing any of many offences!

It's the same in the Netherlands. + there are a gazillion maximum speed cameras (called"flitspaal") to add to that Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Out for a nice, long drive back in 2010 Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

Bill

Wait a minute... Are you saying you brought this car to Winnipeg!?

Don
oldsplitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. This thread has gone on too long. I, and anyone else who took that drive, saw the 46 was a fresh resto, and the owner didn't have the heart to drill the deck lid prior to the drive. It wasn't a deal. If he was pulled over it would have taken 2 minutes of explaining and that would have been the end of it. Done. Don't beat a dead horse not worth beating.

Will
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Will.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldsplitvw wrote:
Wow. This thread has gone on too long. I, and anyone else who took that drive, saw the 46 was a fresh resto, and the owner didn't have the heart to drill the deck lid prior to the drive. It wasn't a deal. If he was pulled over it would have taken 2 minutes of explaining and that would have been the end of it. Done. Don't beat a dead horse not worth beating.

Will

That 46 may drive around that way for ever. The car looks fantastic. It was just the animation to ask how such issues are dealt with over there in general.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark had plates and correct registration IN the '46 had he been stopped.

In Massachusetts, to register a car you must FIRST get it insured. Makes a lot of sense to make sure all cars are insured..... not done that way in most other states that I am aware of. Minimum insurance is only "liability" to cover damage that you might do, not damage to you car (that costs extra).

On convenient loophole however, is that if you buy a new car, you can simply put the plate from your old car on it and have it valid for 7 days *if* you have sold your old car the same time you bought the new one.

After a new registration/transfer, you have 7 days to get the car inspected.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in upstate NY (not NYC) as long as you are insured, Ive driven in many vintage cars around town and talked my way around LEO on tags/registration.

When they see a ton of time and money spent on a restoration, they figure out you aren't going to be a problem on the roads.

If you drove it on the Thruway or across state, different story.
qwerty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: drive down CA HWY 25 to Solvang w/o plates Reply with quote

I was waiting to find a set of '46 plates for the US occupation forces in germany before I drilled the holes... still waiting...

I have driven many vintage VWs around without properly displayed plates - but only in convoys of other vintage VWs... I guess the police are tired of pulling over vintage cars only to find plates inside or some other excuse...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: