Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jump Starter Batteries - do you carry one?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sea_sick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Jump Starter Batteries - do you carry one? Reply with quote

I was eyeballing a Clore JNC660 jump starter battery to keep on board as an emergency bailout jump starter. No air compressor on this model, just for jumping and possibly electronics if needed. Do you use a jump starter or can you recommend one? According to one source (my wife) I can get marginally neurotic about checking the voltage. I prefer enjoying the sunsets. With emergency departure power on board from a jump starter I could chill just a bit more... I hope.

Cheers!
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an automatic and carry a Sears jump starter. It has a light, DC, AC, and USB outlets. I use the DC outlets for my 12V electric blankets. You can make friends when you have a jump starter. The Sears models are guaranteed for one year and usually last about 400 days. They take a long time to recharge and lose voltage when stored for long periods. Replacement batteries are available.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nocreditnodebt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't carry a jumper pack as My electrical system is rather robust and 1 battery is always fully charged.

But I have in the past and they will reduce the marginally neurotic voltage checking.

If your wife likes Gizmos and shiny powerful things, get one of the New Lithium jumper packs that can be carried in a pocketbook, and reportedly have little issue starting V8's numerous times on a single charge.

I keep thinking about getting one, to play with, or to have portable 12v power, or USB power, or additional laptop power.

http://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batteries-Micro-...umper+pack

But then I see I can get a 12 AH AGM for 29$ and waffle on the decision.

http://www.amazon.com/UB12120-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery/dp/B0015NY552

The better lead acid jumper packs only have an 18AH AGM battery within. One of these fully charged and jumper cables could serve to keep the voltage neurosis at bay.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Sealake-FM12170E...=18+AH+AGM

Half the price of Lithium and twice the capacity, about the same CCA ratings, depending on which figure you choose to believe.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AGM auxiliary battery bank can be switched to connect to the starting circuit if the main battery is dead.

Flick the switch and I have 220 amps of starting reserve.
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Junp-N-Carry that I inherited from my father in law 4 years ago and it's still going strong. I don't know when he got it.

It is handy for jumping cars but there are a number of other uses that make it worthwhile. I have an electric tire inflator that connects to a 12V socket. It's easier to plug the inflator into the Jump-N-Carry than have to route long wires from one side of the van to the other.

I got an accessory plug from 12V Technology and wired it to two alligator clips. I use it to test 12V components and wiring. The best part about this plug is that it has a fuse, which I've replaced several times as I've blundered through various wiring jobs.

The last time we took a long trip we starting watching DVD's after dark. I got a 12V plug for our computer so I didn't have to worry about draining the van battery, then with a male to male cord plugged it into the van's 12V receptacle the next day while we were driving to recharge it.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes your day I say go for it. Very Happy The peace of mind will be well worth the cost, and get one with the extra doo-dads as others have so you have something to play with too.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kirkvw72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do carry a jumper pack I bought at Sam's Club.

USB, 12v, flashlight, and a compressor.

I've already used it to help several people with a jump, myself once, and to keep our phones charged during a power outage.

Highly recommended.
1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg
1987 Porsche 944 (951) Turbo
1987 Vanagon GL, Rocky Jennings Heads, RMW Exhaust, ASL 5-speed, AMG Wheels
1981 Porsche 924 (931) Turbo
1972 Beetle (standard)
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Jump Starter Batteries - do you carry one? Reply with quote

sea_sick wrote:
I can get marginally neurotic about checking the voltage

Sounds like you are using the stereo, lights, and ? else, off your ignition battery when stopped.

I agree with the recommendation to carry a jumpe starter device. Ive never tried one with a built in compressor, cant say if they work. I have a $59 jump starter from O'Reillys. It has worked as designed, to help start a couple different cars.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SS02/5500...;ppt=C0005
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

other options include,
1. adding a 2nd ("house") battery
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1139_125/replacement-auxiliary-battery-kit.html

2. this gizmo that will beep when power gets below a preset of your choosing
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1207_126/voltminder.html

Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 of the costco jumper batteries. Generally I keep one in a vehicle I am driving and I keep one at home on the charger.

Saved my butt a couple of times and saved others butts more often.

I consider it part of my regular equipment to keep in the vehicle, including tow strap, tools, fix a flat(though the onboard air compressor gets used more than the fix a flat).

Costco also has a great return/warranty policy.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Jump Starter Batteries - do you carry one? Reply with quote

Based on a tip from a friend I bought a portable professional power and jump start Schumacher Proseries PSJ-2212 several years ago to power my ARB fridge/freezer on camping trips (about two days and change before needs recharging -- YMMV). You can check on all their specs on Amazon where I bought mine and the shipping at the time was free.

They weigh a little more than the garden shelf variety, taller, slimmer in depth, a lighter outlet, and two gauges to show voltage and %. The clamps have much longer cords which I really like. They are essentially portable deep cells and the standing joke is they will power up the Space Shuttle.

I've since bought a second one and use both for all my aux. power needs while also having two group 41 starter batteries, one for lesser power demands. For now I like this option while I ponder the under the rear seat dual Trojan deep cell thing in the future -- maybe. But I like being able to move these Schumacher units around for various use and also jump starting a dead starter battery.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a portable power pack in lieu of an auxilliary battery for close to 10 years in my westies.
Built-in inverter, 12V outlet, radio, emergency lights and detachable jumper cables. It even came with a little folding solar panel to top it up.
It's great because it doesn't take up space in the van when I don't need it and I can move it around the camp site to power stuff.
I have used it to jump start the van and it does the job.
I recently replaced the battery with a higher amp-hour version and will continue to use this instead of wiring in an aux battery until the day comes when I need a 12V fridge.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have my jump starter on long trips, and sometimes i just happen to have it with me when somebody else needs a jump. Definitely worth the money, mine is just basic jumper and USB port, if I was to buy another I think I would look for one with a compressor.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seans67 wrote:
I always have my jump starter on long trips...I think I would look for one with a compressor.

Me, too. I use the 12v port at times (I currently have no aux battery...currently...HAHA! I kill me sometimes...)

...but I carry a separate compressor, radio, flashlight, etc. All-in one units are just begging for obsolescence
when one feature dies & you have to replace the whole thing...my $0.02. Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-PSJ-2212-ProSeries-Starter-Portable/dp/B000N4UQL6
18AH for $101, 18.5 pounds,
calculations: 1 AH per Pound, $5.60 per 1AH

2. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N5HYCEK?psc=1
12AH for $70, 1.1 pounds
calculations: 11AH per Pound, $5.83 per 1AH

3. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SS02/5500...;ppt=C0005
6AH, for $60, 9 pounds
calculations: 0.7AH per Pound, $10 per 1AH

If I was buying today, I would buy #2
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon --- not quite comparing apples to apples there ? Wink

#1 is 22AH at $141 ?

#2 is great for jump starting but ..... no lighter outlet and not really designed to power other stuff.

I agree with the previous poster .. I carry a separate compressor, flashlight(s), radio, etc. Just don't need all that packed into one, sucking out the juice Wink

I was after the most powerful, enduring portable power source that I could carry around with one hand.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
Jon --- not quite comparing apples to apples there ? Wink

#1 is 22AH at $141 ?

definitely Amps to Amps comparison for the units I linked. The OP asked about Jump Start Battery packs. Not necessarily about flashlight, compressor, or phone charging, but all those things can be connected if desired..

You have chosen a Large and heavy 25 pound device, Im recommending a small and light device that weighs 1 pound.. ymmv

here is the one you have, it costs more per AH than #1 and #2
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-PSJ-2212-ProSeries-Starter-Portable/dp/B000N4UQL6
22AH for $141, 25 pounds
calculations: 0.9AH per Pound, $6.40 per 1AH

You could buy 2 of the #2 and have the same power you have now, for the same price, with a weight savings of 23 pounds, plus they are much smaller than your device, easily carried in one hand.. I dont consider 25 pounds "easy" to carry.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timely post!

While I'm installing a house battery in the Van, I recently used my 12v Truck Fridge TF41 in my car to transport food to my daughters home.
The lighter socket is powered only when the key is on.

Thought about running a always hot outlet to the rear of the car....... but the jumper battery system just seems so much easier!

I'll be Getting one of these units for the car! It will be ideal when using the Truck Fridge!

Great! ........ More money spent!
Thanks guys! Rolling Eyes

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is definitely a curiousity and I might even grab one myself just to experiment. But the Amazon ad doesn't really reveal what type of power storage system it has which leads to how long can it last and etc.

Jon_slider wrote:
The OP asked about Jump Start Battery packs. Not necessarily about flashlight, compressor, or phone charging, but all those things can be connected if desired..

Actually he asked about powering other things ... " ... just for jumping and possibly electronics if needed. " It seems like there is a USB port. I'm not sure what else it has like a lighter outlet ? It would almost have to have that to power an Engle or ARB unless jury-rigged some way (short of a 12v power plug outlet).

Jon_slider wrote:
You have chosen a Large and heavy 25 pound device ... I dont consider 25 pounds "easy" to carry.

#1 is a portable AGM so it will weigh that much. And I would agree about the weight if I was carrying it all day but usually on a given day I move it from point A to point B once, maybe twice. I can handle it Cool

Overall I still don't think we're comparing apples to apples until I know more specs about #2. The two seem to have an over-lapping capability but also seem to be designed for different things. But #2 may be what the OP needs.

Looks like it may be a new product since it only has two reviews on Amazon. My two #1's were purchased years ago. But I'll do some more research and maybe get a #2 ... I have several rigs so it may have value for one of them.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI -- a link to one independent reviewer's selection of top ten jump starters ....

http://bestjumpstarterreview.com/
sea_sick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of food for thought. Jon_slider and nocreditnodebt have me rethinking the lithium ion battery pack option vs. the lead acid, then WestyBob throws in the "Bestjumpstartreview" link, which pushes the Clore as a "recommended" option. I do know that a "7-in-1" style combo with an air compressor and the kitchen sink is out. I've got a reliable air compressor and tend to avoid packaged do-it-all equipment, because it rarely does it well.

A couple of other interesting options between cheap and not-so-much:

PowerAll (regular or deluxe w/ pro cable and a case)
http://www.thepowerall.com/product.html

HF (replaceable lead acid battery)
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-jump-start-and-power-supply-38391.html

The cycle life of the Li-Ion batteries are better and they charge faster. Then there's recycling/disposal...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: