Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jump Starter Batteries - do you carry one?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaraBlacksheep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an XP-10 due in by Wednesday as I prep for (finally!) my first real trip in the van. I'll report my findings..if nothing else, just for kicks, I'll try running my TruckFridge off of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batteries-Micro-...uto_text_y
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaraBlacksheep wrote:
I've got an XP-10 due in by Wednesday... just for kicks, I'll try running my TruckFridge off of it.

I think WestyBob was right, you will need to rig a cig lighter socket, but not the one I posted..

You might need a generic FLAPS female cigarette lighter socket, connected ("custom rigged") to the alligator clips on your battery pack.
http://www.autozone.com/lighters/cigarette-lighter...39353_0_0/

Because that is the 12volt 10amp output port. The ones that use the round the 5.5 x 2.5mm connector, plugs into 5volt outputs, which may not match the Truckfridge.

Looking forward to your results..
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there is a ready made converter that should work well using the same high amperage output terminals that the jumper cables plug into:

AG-MSA-10: http://smartodoors.com/Antigravity-Batteries-Micro-Start-Harness-AG-MSA-10/dp/B00M9IJJKI

Should be simple enough to adapt that harness to the plug for any electric fridge using a couple butt connectors or Andersen Power Poles.

If you are handy with a soldering iron and want to try the DIY route, it looks like the jumper packs use standard EC3 connectors: http://www.horizonhobby.com/ec3-battery-connector-%282%29-eflaec302

http://www.rcheliresource.com/how-to-soldering-an-ec3-connector/

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it is cold (like 10-15degF or less).

I carry around an extra battery... so I can keep it indoors... so if the temp is too cold to start off the starter battery, I can use my warm battery to start up.

Sometimes at those low low temps... the start battery is a bit sluggish... usually it does start up... but especially when I am travelling... I like a warm battery to be my back up..
RaraBlacksheep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug through some review videos to find one with a clear shot of the connections, it does appear that they're are EC3 (male on the battery pack side). I'm away from my shop now, and therefore my soldering stuff, but I am going to crimp together an adapter from these two.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JWZEKVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G8WLT7C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the solution to connect a truck fridge (6amp max draw) would be to build an adapter with EC3 connector, 10amp fuse, and female cig socket. Or one of these could be used, removing the clamps in favor of a female cig socket.
http://themicrostart.com/products/accessories/jumpstart-clamps/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RaraBlacksheep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's basically my plan. I just bought the Y setup as I had previously bought a NOCO socket and the quality was great, but for whatever reason it's not carried on Amazon anymore. For $1 more though, I'll have a good quality socket and plug to stick in my spare and leftover parts stockpile. Alternatively I could use the Y and replace the 2nd socket with a hard wired voltmeter or something. We'll see what I come up with..
RaraBlacksheep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's here!

..and that's where the good news stops. Looks like they updated it with a matte finish case. And, of course, a new connector. Looks like the EC3 terminals in a different plug; does this look proprietary? I'm no electronics guru.

Anyone need some EC3 to Tamiya adapters? Rolling Eyes

thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recognize that as a standard connector. I would try to get in touch with the manufacturer and see if they can shed some light on the situation. Contact info can be found here: http://antigravitybatteries.com/about-us/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RaraBlacksheep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give them a call tomorrow; I'd put money on their liability fears keeping them from being able to help, but we'll see!
adv rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Jump starter Reply with quote

Those small IPhone sized jumpstart packs work great. We sell them at work $109. It will start any vehicle, several times.- Just no diesels. It has a 200amp burst of power for jump starts. they do have a 400 amp one for diesels, it is $179.

I charge my electronics for weeks on end, and jump start vehicles with one charge. I work at a motorcycle shop, so most any other shop could get them. If any of you want them , PM me for more info
RaraBlacksheep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: The new terminals have the same spacing as the EC3 but the pins are just ever so slightly larger, the male pins are slit to expand/contract but it's just too much of a difference to make up.

I also keep forgetting to call them to ask about the connector and/or if they have any sort of available accessory. I am considering hacking up the adapter cord for all of the laptop bits and splicing one end to a lighter outlet, but that will kind of depend on how heavy the wires end up being. The plug on the side of the unit says it's 12v 10A..I'd like to hope that the cable they include is rated for that as well?
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One sure fire way to overcome the proprietary connector would be to install a set of Anderson Power Pole connectors about half way up the jumper cable wires. Just match the Power Pole size to the wire size and they will handle the current without a problem. This ensures that they will still be usable as jumper cables.

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/housings-contacts/

Install a matching size set of Power Poles on the cord for the fridge and you have a simple, secure and time proven way to connect your fridge to the high current output on the jumper pack.

nocreditnodebt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The claimed mAH capacity of these jumper packs if for 5 volts, not 12.8v+.

Some lithium batteries excel at delivering large currents for a brief time span. So this ~ iPhone size jumpstarter is capable of adding enough CCA to start a modern fuel injected engine.

But,

This does not translate into a mega battery in a tiny package which can power a fridge for extended periods of time. One would be better off depleting their lead acid battery and using the jumper pack to start it for the ride home, if needed.

The 30$ 12v 12AH AGm battery will power a fridge for longer than one of these Liion jumper packs, and that might be overnight, on a cool night if the fridge was already cold.

Thank you for the pics of the jumper connectors.

I make lots of use of 30 and 45 amp Anderson powerpole connectors. The 45's do get warm passing 40 amps. Not sure if I'd trust the 45's to pass 400 even briefly. The pics above show some fairly thick copper and lots of surface area.

The 30 and 45 Amp powerpoles can connect with each other, but the larger amp PP connectors only mate with themselves.

The 45 amp powerpoles take some skill to crimp without their special tool for doing so. The 30's are pretty simple. I've managed to shoehorn 8 gauge into the 45 ampers with some stranding removed, but the 30 amp PP's can barely fit 12 awg wiring.

Please understand the limitations of these lithium batteries, capacity wise.

High CCA of short duration does not equate to a high capacity battery. The capacity is still impressive for the weight and size but it is not a portable fridge powerpack that can be relied upon to keep food from spoiling for days on end.

Do note that danfoss compressor fridges will run the fan even when the voltage is too low to support the compressor start up. You can hear the fan running, but the compressor will not be running.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Jump starter Reply with quote

adv rider wrote:
Those small IPhone sized jumpstart packs work great. We sell them at work $109.

I just ordered this one for $55

http://tinyurl.com/kgcpy39

RaraBlacksheep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not just the fridge, and it's inappropriate for a lot of things..but it's any number of other 12v lighter outlet things you may want/need to run remotely, possibly in a pinch. For instance I have a quick charger for my camera batteries but it's 120v or 12v lighter socket only. The fridge thing was more just a curiosity than anything else; though it would be neat if it could work for a few hours while tailgating or boating or something and you wouldn't be tied to an outlet on a vehicle (or if it doesn't have one at all).

I had not thought about putting a connector on the jumper unit pigtail though, that's probably the way to go once an appropriate one is found.
RaraBlacksheep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real world test report: left my fridge on while the van was parked all weekend. Stayed on until the 3rd morning, when I found it giving what I assumed was a low voltage warning.

Voltage at the posts was 11.55v, dash lit up but the starter wouldn't even click. Clamped the XP-10 on and it fired right up. I drove for about 10 minutes and parked, it had gained enough voltage to buzz but wouldn't turn over; XP-10 delivers. I'd say it works as advertised..

It also successfully charges my iPhone 5, but it got a lot hotter than normal. Briefly looking in to this, it looks like this is a possible consequence of an aftermarket cable (and the heat can damage some critical component internally), so I took it off as soon as I had enough charge to limp by.

So, as far as capacity; I had charged it before leaving on my trip about 2-1/2 weeks ago, jumped the van twice and gave my phone a 50% charge; the indicator lights on the side still show "full charge" for whatever that is worth.

I could have spent less but I'm still happy with what I got (especially since the price came down a bit since I first started looking at them). All that is left is figuring out a 12v outlet solution..
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaraBlacksheep wrote:
left my fridge on while the van was parked all weekend. Stayed on until the 3rd morning, when I found it giving what I assumed was a low voltage warning.

Thanks for sharing your research!

so just to be sure I understand, you plugged in a fridge to the cigarette lighter port on the dash of a Van that has NO House Battery?

And when the low voltage warning for the fridge triggered, your Ignition battery was too depleted to start the van, right?

So, the fridge cutoff voltage is set too low right?Smile Can it be changed?

Do you plan to add a House battery so your fridge cant drain your ignition battery?

Anyway, good to know your ignition battery will power the fridge for 3 days, I guess, but not really... since the van would not start without a Jump.

Yay the Jump starter worked!

So, I suppose you need to use the jump start battery clamps, attached to a cigarette lighter socket, and test how long your fridge runs, right? That was the WestyBob objective, to get an idea how long the fridge would run on the jump battery.

Sorry your connectors did not seem standard..

I have no info to share on the jumper pack I bought for my daughter, it was mailed to her, and arrived 1 day after she needed a jump, which was provided by a friends car with standard jumper cables.

So, glad to know the jumper pack will start a Van..

now back to your cigarette socket adapter project.. I hope you get it sorted out

thanks again for your efforts

lessons learned,
1. dont trust the cutoff voltage on your fridge to protect your ignition battery
2. Dont run fridge off ignition battery for 3 days

Pending research
1. Add a cig socket to the jumper pack and test how long it runs the fridge..

Smile
RaraBlacksheep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't trust the wiring for the cigarette lighter in the dash to carry that much current for extended periods, plus I wanted to keep it free for phone charging, etc. so I wired a heavy gauge fused port direct to the battery with a switch and printed out a custom housing for it. But yes, I just have my starting battery for now, I thought about putting an aux system in but I am just now on my first trip in it and want to build around actual needs vs. what I just speculated I would need.

Anyway I know it's horrible for a conventional battery to drain it like that but I am usually driving daily (I wanted a 'real world' test without having to be in a location that put me in an actual pickle). As far as the voltage cutoff on the fridge; I believe it's ~11.5V, which I wish was a little higher; as far as I know it's not adjustable. But I haven't looked in to it whatsoever (Truckfridge/Indel B if anyone knows off the top of their head). But yes, by the time the cutoff came in to play the solenoid on the starter wouldn't even click. But yeah that's pretty much the gist of it, although I have found the split lighter socket to be damned handy so I won't be cutting that one up (charging phone and GoPro batteries at the same time!). I'll likely get on that when I get back to home base later this month.

Only caveat to my results is that I have a TDI starter, which is more efficient than the stock unit, and Jay Brown's hot start relay which may or may not actually affect anything in this situation. I still haven't got the start battery fully charged yet, it was slightly slower than normal cranking this morning at about 12.25V, whereas it was spinning over full tilt while the jumper pack was on. I believe my stock starter wouldn't turn the motor at that voltage (I was battling a charging issue last summer).
bstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late post, but I'll add that I use the Schumacher PSJ-2212 DSR ProSeries 2200 Peak and bought it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N4UQL6/

I've used it at the track for my race car (running a wee battery) and we've always carried it around in the Land Cruiser when we travel. Even though I have two batteries in the syncro, I'm likely to carry it with us until I have proven charge/discharge functionality.

It holds a charge for quite a while in my experience and saved me many times.

Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: