Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Using stock oval with 36hp as daily
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Using stock oval with 36hp as daily Reply with quote

hi, was wondering if using a stock overhauled 36 hp motor with a car that has an older restoration would be a dependable daily driver? here is the car I'm considering buying.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1721472

I know I would be better off using a 1600 sp or dp, but I really don't need the extra power. sure it would help, but not absolutely necessary where I live and the daily driving I do. Never use highway / freeway. just local roads and highways. don't have a long commute to and from work either. plus, I'm in love with 36/25 horse engines. love the sound and looks! and this one looks like a champ! though I know I should be skeptical about only seeing pics over the Internet.

does this look like a good buy? anyone went to check out this car in person or know any details? I'm still waiting on a response from the owner. hope it hasn't sold already. Crying or Very sad

thanks for any insights!
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my 36hp as a daily (1960 bug) for over 10 years... budget to dump some money into it straight away as I find there's always some thing that needs repairs when you just purchase a car particularly a older resto that isn't being driven regularly. Check for rust as none of the photos show any problem areas.

The 36 is a great little engine - driving it daily I find it fairly reliable but I do have a judson fitted to mine for a little extra oomph so I can go on freeways. I do now carry a few spares around now just due to the fact if anything does break it takes time to get the 36 6v stuff in stock.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the engine and transmission is good, no problems with it. Just follow the old service intervals for the car correctly. It need more frequently maintainance, but it is not so costly. The car should do about 108-110 kmh flat out (or more, mine do up to 120kmh, with 6-7 grades more advance and TDE endpipes), and I think that will do most places in Japan Smile
It is uphill you will notice the Power, but my car is "strong" in 3rd, near always doing at least 70-80 kmh.

As a daily driver, I would upgrade the brakes.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree regarding the brakes - for modern traffic they really aren't up to the job in my opinion.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a very similar position back in 2011-12. Bought my 54, all pretty much stock, 36hp and factory splitcase transaxle. It ran well, I would even drive on I-45 here in Houston. If they are in good order, you'll be fine.

My caution...ask what "older restoration" means. My seller said the same thing and tried to spin it as a 9 out of 10 car. The damn thing was restored in 1991! And hardly driven. The rear axle seals leaked and the transaxle had hardly any oil. The paint was also cracked in several areas, but from pics you could never tell. I still bought the car because it was rust free and had its original metal and complete.

Just check it out carefully before buying. I ended up completely rebuilding my 54 starting in April of 2012 and I'm almost complete now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, for all the input guys. I still feel relieved that I've finally decided to get an actual classic, and stopped that changing my mexi to look like a split bs craze I was on. I owe it to many of the split guys of convinced me and steered me in the right direction. damn, that was a close one! Embarassed guess I had a bad case of the bug and wasn't seeing things very well.

I will take all of that into consideration. thanks! will definitely have it inspected if the seller ever contacts me... Confused
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get it, store the original engine and put a bigger engine in it. But I drove a 36hp daily back in the day and it worked great.
Center Pin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 57 is a daily driver, although it does have a 1600 dp. The biggest issue I have is you have to allow extra time for everything, everybody and there dog wants to stop and talk to you. Above was mentioned a brake upgrade, I did change over to a dual circuit master cylinder but that's it.

With a decent tool kit and a few select spare parts, you can fix any of the minor issues that show up randomly/regularly.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a sweet looking car! Using a 50+ year old car as a daily driver requires that you give it the attention a 50+ year old car needs. Most folks simply use and abuse their daily driver and don't really keep up with the recommended maintenance.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to drive my 58 daily, crashbox, original 36 er etc, and never had a problem. Shoot, I actually miss driving it to work daily, it was a ton of fun.
Do it, I think you will enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

type1vwjapan wrote:
thanks, for all the input guys. I still feel relieved that I've finally decided to get an actual classic, and stopped that changing my mexi to look like a split bs craze I was on. I owe it to many of the split guys of convinced me and steered me in the right direction. damn, that was a close one! Embarassed guess I had a bad case of the bug and wasn't seeing things very well.

I will take all of that into consideration. thanks! will definitely have it inspected if the seller ever contacts me... Confused

You know, the part that I really don't get is that you start up several threads with tricky questions about integrating split bug parts into a fat chick bug (like "i'm gonna do this and that"), and it seems that nothing of that stuff has ever materialized. I'm curious to see some pictures of the modifications that you've done so far....or it didn't happen Twisted Evil
And by now even a mexi bug as such has become a classic Smile in its own right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
I used to drive my 58 daily, crashbox, original 36 er etc, and never had a problem. Shoot, I actually miss driving it to work daily, it was a ton of fun.

58 crash box? You mean non-synchro 1st.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
stale air wrote:

58 crash box? You mean non-synchro 1st.

Yes, he means split-case. A lot of people use crashbox to mean all split-case transmissions.

Of course crash boxes are split-cases too.

I have also heard "full crash" for the early transmissions with no synchros.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, just lost my response that i spend over a half hour typing. how discouraging. Sad Sad

so here is a condensed version.

I never made ONE mod to my car. i was just looking into everything it would take to give my car that "split" look I was after. The only thing I spent any money on was a set of nice split lights and the rear fender dimple sections that I planned to weld into some earlier rear fenders one day. I was never going for a full conversion, as that would be impossible for many reasons. the main one being the larger glasshouse on the later cars. Since I was really serious about it I had a lot of questions naturally. And I appreciate all of the help and insights.

Guess I really owe it it to a few of the split guys who really saved my a$$. They mentioed that they really doubted I would be happy in the long run, and my god were they ever right!!!!! As much as I still love split cars, I realized that wasn't the main thing I was in love with. I just acutally wanted an old, classic car. I realied this even more after I visited my local air cooled shop to discuss some of the mods I wanted to make to my Mexi car. I was looking at a red '71 that he was restoring and I just loved the feel of it. Sure I want an older model than that, but damn was that one nice, too!!! wow!

Sure the Mexican cars are great, but in my opinion they just don't have that same feeling and sense of nostalgie that the older ones do. I used to own a '74 and '72 when I lived back in the States. They were beaters and nothing special, but I was still much happier with them. I really want to get my hands on an Oval, but even something 64 or older will do just fine. I just love the smaller glass housing, etc., etc. Hell, even a square window will do just fine!! just fine!!

I found a really nice stock '53 with semaphores that was in pristince condition that I wanted to have shipped over here, but unfortunately its just out of my budget for the time being.

I also think I will have to try my best to find an Oval here in Japan or an early 60s model. Someone menntioed once why I don't just find a beater and have it shipped here and I would still have plenty of money for it to get road ready. wrong! I wish they were right, but man are they wrong. After I factor in 3,000 for the big ship aross the sea, a possible 1,500 for having it sent across the US if its not in LA, the 2,000 import fees, the 3,000 initial mandatory car inspection and road worthiness test that all mcars must go thourhg in Japan, getting it shipped to my local mechanic for other repairs, then the repairs, other taxes and fees that could entail another 2,000.

So I'm looking at a 25K by the time everything all been said and done just in getting the car here. damn....

I'm also consideringhaing a '62 restored that I found.

Wish I could put around in a 36HP, but don't think my wife would allow that. she has to draw the line somewhere. Sure if I find a car with a 36 motor, I will definitley keep the motor and possible put it back in one day. My car has to have AC. that is our term of agreement on me driving a bug as a daily. I never use it, just when I've got my little guy along with me.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were going to rig AC in my '59 I'd pull the 36 hp out and swap in a later engine and tin; it's not like there are gobs of hp to allow a compressor to rob. You may want to renegotiate the AC bit because that requirement makes it way more difficult which is what it sounds like your wife is trying to do.
sconord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of going thru heroic lengths to get ac to work, get her a new car. Save the classics and keep em original or close ish.

JMHO.
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I'd never try and fit an AC to a 36 HP motor, lol. but I don't know, I'm sure some have done it before, maybe one of those 58-67 vintage AC kits. It's not like I'd be using the AC all that much anyways. only when I had our son.

my wife doesn't drive the car. only me. she just wants me to have an AC for our 2 year old when I pick him up after work. there's a lot of stop and go traffic here on the main drag, so it gets pretty hot. I'm fine, but have to be a good dad and not make him sweat it out. it was one thing when there wasn't a choice a long time ago, but those golden days are long gone.

I f***** hate AC on a bug! apart from it looking like crap and screwing with your idol, it clutters up the engine bay and you can't get to shit. can't even take the friggin dizzy cap off without scratching it all to hell and back.

sure wish I could have 2 bugs, but can't get everyone to understand that I can't have 2 cars! only one. one. one. too expensive to just have a car here. it's so damn crowded and space is to tight you can't even get it up without knocking stuff over..they actually charge you taxes here on how big your car is in size due to space issues. Rolling Eyes as I've said, the Japanese government has a Long list of BS regarding car ownership. not trying to whine, as I chose to live here. just some of the frustrations that we "gaijin" have to get accustomed to that we never even dreamed could be real.

since I can only have one car, that's why I want an older oval, regardless or not if I have to put AC in it or not. I have no choice, no choice. one bug, has to have AC. end of line.

sheesh, and they tell you to think outside the box when you're little. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
sconord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swamp cooler. Or. Make a deal that you stop for ice cream or slushie on the way home every hot day if requested.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be working on finding a ragtop with popouts.
Have you considered that 2yr old is one of toughest things on earth and provided with plenty of water can take the heat and long outlast any AC system known to man? The hardest part is that they have not learned how to suffer in silence.
RestoKäfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having just got the oval registered and driving,i remembered you.
IMO the only problem I have is first gear can be a bit slow if your not ready at the lights.
In all honesty I like the none syncro and havnt found it a problem/she stills pulls 2nd if your moving
Brakes are okay
The part I like is you can rev 3rd to 60kph where as my 1776 will only rev 2nd to 60kph.
Having now 2 cars its hard to decide what to drive 59 12v or 56 6v
Im now in favour of the 56/36 hp
Kids have always like coming on a cruise,as they got older I needed to improve on the sound system in the 59.Well just today when offering a cruise to the boys,the oldest said "What one" I replied "the oval"
He then replied "na"
The younger still comes with me in the oval/even no seat belts
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: