Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Sunroof Restoration
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jondoekauai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: 67 Sunroof Restoration Reply with quote

I just started my 67 sunroof bug restoration. I have to replace both sides of the rear quarter sections of my pan and package tray but that's not why I'm writing this post. I have always known that there is a problem with the rear body clip because the rear apron is buckled and when I got the car I tried to adjust the valves and couldn't get the valve cover off. The body is too close to the engine and after pulling the motor where I had a problem and had to cut the exhaust off to get enough clearance to get it out. I used a rafter square against my transmission face and found that the body part where the engine seal fits is out of square by about an 1 1/2" front to back. I took the fenders off and found a crease by the Z-bar mount. There is a gap where the wheelhouse and package tray meet too. The bumper mount also looks deformed. I think I can pull the rear apron and fix it but I'm concerned that I may need to replace the wheelhouse and bumper mount. Is it better to replace the wheel house or should I just use a port a power to push the rear straight and massage the panel back into shape? I'll try to share the photos I took but first I have to figure out how to post them. I added my photos to the gallery. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Jon 
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to fix what's there. Probably less work and you'll have more originality. Also if it doesn't work out well you can replace the wheelhouse then. But I'd try fixing what's there as a first choice.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jondoekauai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Far Rider, that's what I'm going to do. I found the measurements here for the engine compartment opening and I'm sure that my buddy and his port a power can push it back once I get the apron off. Aloha, Jon
Jondoekauai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw a post where one of the members repaired his rear apron by making a hammer mold and hammering out a new apron bottom lip and filling in the pea shooter holes, very impressive! I need to get my 67 rear apron back in shape and I wonder if there's someone out there who'd be willing to make me a card board outline of the apron curve at the bottom. I'm going to be pulling the apron off to replace the right bumper mount and this is the perfect time to do this repair. My apron is bent out of shape not crumpled, just not right, it is very fixable. It's weird because the measurements are correct from fender bolt to fender bolt. Thank you, Jon
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: