Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 VW Bug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: 63 VW Bug Reply with quote

Hi, new to VW's and have always wanted one. I'm actually a ford guy. Bought a property and the previous owner left behind a 63 Bug. PO said it didn't run, but I got it to run. It does not have the original motor and it's currently a 1600 with a 12v conversion.

The bug needs work, but will drive it the way it is. I'm looking for suggestions please. My bug is idling a little rough and it hesitates. The bug does startup fine. Below is what I did so far. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

- rebuilt carb (Solex 30 pict 1)
- replace spark plugs and wire
- still need to replace cap and rotor
- still need to replace points
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to have you with us.

Get brakes working first. That way you don't take it for a spin to test it's drivability without some stop ability. Minimum replace the rubber lines and inspect all other components. You're year came with a single circuit brake, if you end up replacing the master cylinder consider the much safer dual circuit.

Next replace all rubber fuel line. It is old, it does not like ethanol and if it fails the car can burst into flames. Since your car runs we can assume the lines are not completely clogged. This clogged fuel line might come to play later when you try to get up to highway speed.

Now that both you and the bug will survive and you can work on other things. Post pictures so we can know exactly what you have and have a better chance of telling you how to make it better.

Hang out here on the samba reading, it is amazing what you can learn with a few minutes of lurking every day.

Oh and where are you located.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 63 VW Bug Reply with quote

63vdubbug wrote:
Hi, new to VW's and have always wanted one. I'm actually a ford guy. Bought a property and the previous owner left behind a 63 Bug. PO said it didn't run, but I got it to run. It does not have the original motor and it's currently a 1600 with a 12v conversion.

The bug needs work, but will drive it the way it is. I'm looking for suggestions please. My bug is idling a little rough and it hesitates. The bug does startup fine. Below is what I did so far. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

- rebuilt carb (Solex 30 pict 1)
- replace spark plugs and wire
- still need to replace cap and rotor
- still need to replace points

Is it a single or twin port 1600? Look at the headers, if they split in two before going into the motor it is a twin port. In that case, you should have a 34 Pict-3 carb.

Spark plugs and wire is a cheap insurance, nothing to dwell over.

Regards to the distributor, my 1600 DP did not run right, and I replaced all those parts. Still did not run right. Got a timing light, and the timing was all over the place. Turned out I needed a new dist. Some good ones with electronic timing are available here for under 200 $. Definetely worth it. But I am keeping my old dist, to have it rebuilt.

Good luck!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go out and buy the John Muir "How to keep your VW alive" book. Can usually be found at Barnes and Noble. Gives a good overview of the cars and covers most repairs. A real good resource.

There are also several "how to buy a bug" guides on the net. Things to look for as far as rust etc, so you have a better handle on what you are dealing with. And keep in mind that even a rusty car is restorable.

In the meantime, would try to make some connections with the local VW community.

And for now, you need to complete the tune-up - valve adjustment and do further troubleshooting. One thing that will mess you up is bad gas and crudded up carb from same.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome 63 was a good year! you will be amazed at how simple these cars are!

Some day when the rust is gone, I will at last found inner peace... (Peace has Been Found)

"Wide awake, and keeping distance from my soul"
trh351
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 VW Bug Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:

Is it a single or twin port 1600? Look at the headers, if they split in two before going into the motor it is a twin port. In that case, you should have a 34 Pict-3 carb.
Good luck!

I think he meant the intake manifolds, not the header. Also, IIRC, DPs have aluminum castings going into the head and rubber boots to connect to the steel tube manifold. SPs are all steel tubing. Both have an aluminum casting to tie together the steel heat riser tube.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint it PURPLE Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey everyone, thanks for the response.

I actually drove the bug up and down the block. The brakes are to be in good shape and brake lines are new from what I see. I also found a couple of books and a log of what was done with the bug. Haven't had a chance to go through the books. The PO got into an accident due to the brakes so she had it replaced. I will however replace it with disk in the future.

I've been lurking around here for some time now and pretty excited what I can do with this bug. My first assessment is the bug will need to get some sheetmetal work which I'm not too concerned as I have a welder, but overall the body and pan is in great shape. For now the car will be a rat rod type (if that's what you guys call it). I want to drop it and narrow the beam for sure. If you guys know which is better between adjusters vs drop spindle, please let me know. I want to keep a good ride so I can put my babies inside and go cruising. Very Happy

PO also painted the car over the original paint which is coming off. I might take some acetone and remove the top layer.

here are some pics of the 63:
[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Condesation on the intake? cold weather?
[/URL]

My goal for now is to get it to idle right so I will take all your suggestions and try them. Thanks again everyone!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condensation on the intake is normal. You look to be somewhere warm, otherwise it might have been frost. If the heat riser pipe on the intake manifold isn't plugged up with carbon, and if the muffler being used flows decently through it, it warms up fairly quickly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condensation or even frost on the intake below the carb is normal due to the fuel inside evaporating.

Remove the vacuum line at the carb that goes to the distributor. Pop the dist top loose and over to one side from the distributor and suck on the vacuum line. Does the points plate rotate? Does it move fully and does it return slowly or quickly when you let off the vacuum?

Remove the air cleaner with engine off and work the throttle arm on the carb a little bit. Does the brass accelerator nozzle spray fuel or is it a weak stream or stopped up?

If the Beetle has sat for much more than a year, it is time to at least take all the brake cylinders apart for a good inspections and cleaning. Normal brake fluid attracts water right out of the air like a magnet sucks up steel filings. Water build up it rusts up the cylinders, rust in turn tears up rubber seals. The water can even turn to steam when braking heavily causing brake failure. So standard brake fluid should be replaced due to this every 2 years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first.

You could switch to silicon brake fluid which does not attract water and have much longer lasting brake cylinders. Problem is switching between the two can result in ruined brake rubber parts if standard brake fluid was used before. Have taken brake systems apart, blown out the lines and let it all dry out over three weeks or more, and have had no problems then switching to silicon brake fluid.
Even then it is a good idea to bleed off some of the brake fluid every year or two to get out any water that might get in. Water does not mix with silicon break fluid, instead it settles into the lowest parts of the brake system, and thusly easy to get out.
bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to hook up the warm air preheat hose to an original style air cleaner and that will help the carb from icing up. yours are blocked off in the engine picture . the two holes in the rear tin are for the preheat hoses yours looks to be from a 67 with a dual snorkel air cleaner. a stock 63 would only have one hose on the left side.
'63 Karmann Cabriolet L54 Poppy Red
63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

I'm hoping to get some time to work on it this weekend. Do some of the suggestions all of you have made. Tune up the main thing. I will definitely check on the brakes as well.

allsidius - it's a single port.

gkutamodo - I'm in the bay area (peninsula). Yes, it was pretty awesome weather that day I took the picture.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I can't believe no one's told him to re-locate that fuel filter out of the engine compartment yet! You guys are slippin'...

Looks like your '63 has some good potential...and the price was right too! There's tons of excellent advice available on this site from people who really know these cars inside & out. Welcome to the VW world...
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Wow, I can't believe no one's told him to re-locate that fuel filter out of the engine compartment yet! You guys are slippin'...

That's awesome. But, Grandpa Pete hasn't discussed dual-circuit MCs yet either! Even more amazing! Cool

'63's a great year. I'm on my 4th- and after 16+ years, it's a keeper.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
117harv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest, that's exactly what I was thinking...lol
63vdubbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do you guys recommend placing the fuel filter? the dual circuit MC was already brought up. Very Happy
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the fuel tank.
bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder do any of these guys that recommend dual circuit master cylinders actually know of a well maintained single circuit failure or are they on a mission to tell everyone in the forums just because it sounds good? Why stop there. Just tell everybody to buy a new car with airbags and antilock brakes and park the old bug. Just saying. It's getting old.
'63 Karmann Cabriolet L54 Poppy Red
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Under the fuel tank.

Or splice it into the hose that connects the hard line from the chassis to the one that runs to the engine's fuel pump. It's located right next to the transaxle on the driver's side.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugmandave wrote:
I wonder do any of these guys that recommend dual circuit master cylinders actually know of a well maintained single circuit failure or are they on a mission to tell everyone in the forums just because it sounds good?

Yes, we know of several instances. Lots easier to be able to stop with 40% or 60% of the brakes, instead of none. Lots easier than to have to pull out or replace the front of the VW.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: