Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propane Fire Pits: choices, opinions and fuel tank options
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Propane Fire Pits: choices, opinions and fuel tank options Reply with quote

In the last few years I have discovered LP fire pits and now I dont miss falling,bucking,splitting,stacking,hauling firewood. I can even be safe,warm,cook with and legal in the middle of Summers here in the NW. Its funny how many friends have bagged on the ol fire on a hose, but come circling when the Ranger makes a friendly stop.

Took the new to us tin top out last weekend ( seems to be used more than the RV or rock rig) and took along the fire pit. I didnt want to lug the big bbq bottle and my 3 gal flatty is tucked away in the drift boat. I stopped to get a green bottle adapter and what a pain that was! Keeping the bottle upright, the flame strength fluctuates and the reg is always icing up. Thought is was the pit so I hooked it up to my bbq tank and runs clean.

I have a westy 3gl tank I have restored and keep weighing the pros and cons of mounting it to run the fire pit. I also have a set of RMW swings but dont like the "rear end collision" and a bunch of spewing LP. I could store it on the yakima rack, but a pain to get and put away, especially for my wife as she wants to use the van on girl camp trips too. I could secure it inside while traveling, but again.....lp inside during a crash, plus the 2 100 lb dogs need space and a clear landing on sudden stops. Having a tank inside just doesnt seem right.

We do sneek of road and through some obstacles to get to some of the best camping around and am concearned that it would hang lower than the rock sliders/rocker protectors and defeat the purpose of "ground clearance". What say the mild off roaders with a westy tank mounted? I havent looked, or mocked it up yet, but is it posible with the persuasion of a plasma cutter to notch the area and tuck it up further? If so a whip to fill and a stay and play would work well as I have already eliminated the regulator at the tank.

Suggestions from those who have done?

Thank you!
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the OEM Westy tank for a Propex.

Carry a 1-2 gal tank in the Thule box or strapped to the roof rack for the fire pit.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im planning on a Webasto airtop gasoline heater. I also have the fire pit on a 30 foot hose with a high flow reg so placement of the tank isnt an issue although running an lp pit with no sparks under an awning on a rainy night is nice! May seem like a hazard but with the dissipation of heat at 7 feet when the pit is on low isnt an issue.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider myself a "mild offroader", but I've only hit mine once and doesn't interfere with my rock sliders. Only issue I've had is the vent got covered in thick mud one trip and my stove wouldn't light so we used my small backup camp stove.

I've also thought about a propane external stove to cook with the Dutch Oven, but I do happen to like carrying firewood and making a fire Smile
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
I wouldn't consider myself a "mild offroader", but I've only hit mine once and doesn't interfere with my rock sliders.....but I do happen to like carrying firewood and making a fire Smile

Doesnt it hang lower than your sliders?
I used to love the smell of a campfire on my clothes, the crackle, the sparks etc. Dont pack an lp unit or you will secumb to the clean side lol! The biggest issue is fire ban out here and with the lp sparkless pit its allowed.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:

Doesnt it hang lower than your sliders?

Yes, but the breakover angle isn't that bad. I've found it's better to drive over the big rocks then to put a wheel on them and have them on the sides of the vehicle. The center of the vanagon is nearly it's highest ground clearance, unlike typical 4x4's. My spotter figured that out when I wasn't following his directions and still wasn't hitting anything!

I only hit it going through a section of trail about 400 feet long and full of basketball size rocks. It just bent the heavy skid plate up on the tank and bent the handle that turns the gas on. When I got home, I moved the skid plate back to it's normal spot and now the gas knob is shaped funny, but still works.

I've been on the sliders quite a bit too. I'm only at 18.5" ride height and have 215/75-15 tires.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good input. I also used to like the smell of wood fires and such. Used to. I say this because now after we have sat next to a fire in the evening, we get back on the boat or in the van and suddenly it doesn't seem so cool. Our hair reeks. Our clothing reeks. And soon the upholstery and bedding will reek. Once a summer an ember trashes an expensive piece of gear - backpack, jacket, camp pants, hat, gloves, expensive folding chair, etc. And if the wind is shifting, there is constant movement of camp chairs to avoid smoke.

So these LP gas pits are something for me to consider. Thanks.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm....

New to this propane campfire concept.
I must live in a cave, never saw one. Interesting concept and complete understand the advantages where you cannot burn nor do you want to smell like smoke........ Though that smell IS camping in my mind.

Anyway....... The prices!
Is this a get what you pay for concept?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UB8CKI?psc=1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-58035-Campfire-Propane...co+Big+red

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-58031-Campfire-Portable-Propane/dp/B000O51VJ0

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a tintop addition of propane tank, does anyone have the dimensions for where to mount the stock Westy propane tank? Is mounting as easy as buying and bolting up, or is there more to it?

I would love to know this as my Syncro didn't have a LP tank and I am swapping a tank on soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alijonny wrote:
for a tintop addition of propane tank, does anyone have the dimensions for where to mount the stock Westy propane tank? Is mounting as easy as buying and bolting up, or is there more to it?

I would love to know this as my Syncro didn't have a LP tank and I am swapping a tank on soon.

I drove the van to work today and plan on investigating the area at lunch. I will report back.

Dave-- the difference in those 2 are the regulator and hose. the units are the same. The red one has a cheaper reg and smaller hose, the silver one has a nice ball valve to control flow aka flame height. I have the red one and plan on modifying it with a high flow reg and ball valve ( about $35 ). I also have the early Camp Chef unit that was sold at Costco's or Costco.com ( free delivery to your house) and paid $99. It is larger, has a lava rock upper bed and a protection ring around it that makes a great spot for laying marshmello sticks. It's just too big to stuff under the seat of the van when the bed is folded down. The red fire can sits nicely under the seat when stacked on my colman stove with case. You have to lift the front seat edge up and tuck the pit under it. When the seat is down, it cradles the can really well.

I do not openly cook any greasy items on these pits. They do make cooking grills for them, but the stink and mess wouldn't be good. Imagine your back patio BBQ in your back seat. They do have cover/bags for the larger pits like the Camp Chef and the 2 above pits or "fire in a can" have a pretty good metal cover that snaps down to keep them secure and closed while traveling. Just my $.02
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

Last edited by vanagonjr on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would find the van's tank too restrictive. I've had my campfire under the awning and 25 feet away from it. I carry a small (1.2 gallon) propane tank for my portable campfire. I've also got an adapter and stand for the little 1-lbs. bottles, but have yet to use them.

djkeev wrote:
Hmmmmm....

New to this propane campfire concept.
I must live in a cave, never saw one. Interesting concept and complete understand the advantages where you cannot burn nor do you want to smell like smoke........ Though that smell IS camping in my mind.

Anyway....... The prices!
Is this a get what you pay for concept?

I have the Little Red Campfire. Bought it locally; has logs, not rocks. Flame size is fully adjustable. Puts out great heat.

I can't tolerate smoke (sensitive sinuses and eyes) and AZ has no-burn days/seasons; propane-powered campfires are the best invention. Very Happy In fact, I just recently replaced my wood-burning fire pit at home with a propane-powered unit (I can now have a fire in the winter despite the countywide no-burn days).

You cannot grill food with the Red Campfire units; you can, however, cook using a pot if you get the accessory grill.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I love new accessories. I'm visualizing a whole lot of opportunities to use this when a real fire is not doable for whatever reason. And an accessory that I can use at home as well as while camping only increases the justification for purchase. I'm losing money if I don't buy one. Very Happy

Kamz, where in your Westy do you store the campfire and your small propane tank?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Kamz, where in your Westy do you store the campfire and your small propane tank?

Van was not fully loaded when I took this photo, but this is where they go:

Something to keep in mind when shopping around: The Little Red Campfire's handle is not recessed into the lid, while the Big Red Campfire's is. The result: Big Red can be lifted higher off the ground, if need be, using the lid.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Something to keep in mind when shopping around: The Little Red Campfire's handle is not recessed into the lid, while the Big Red Campfire's is. The result: Big Red can be lifted higher off the ground, if need be, using the lid.

Good to know, thanks.

I have one of these:

But it's louder than hellfire, devours 20# tanks in about 8 hours of use, and is not very portable. Furthermore, I don't think it really gives off that campfire vibe. Good for the garage when it's super cold out, though.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
I have a westy 3gl tank I have restored and keep weighing the pros and cons of mounting it to run the fire pit.

I say yes to mounting the westy propane tank. It is not usually a contact point in my experience. I have a Syncro Westy. My front bumper is more of a contact point than my Westy propane tank, which has a reasonably sturdy shield.

kamzcab86 wrote:
I carry a small (1.2 gallon) propane tank for my portable campfire.

Thanks for the info, Ive recently wondered about a propane fire, due to wood fire bans in Big Sur. Though technically, they only allow propane stoves, not propane campfires, the idea has potential.

Do you have any guesstimate how many hours of propane camp fire you get from a single 1 pound green propane bottle? Or how long your 1.2 gallon tank lasts?

Here is a custom mounted Propane tank, using the GoWesty accessory post. As you know, carrying a propane tank inside the Van is a no no.

newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:

Thanks for the info, Ive recently wondered about a propane fire, due to wood fire bans in Big Sur. Though technically, they only allow propane stoves, not propane campfires, the idea has potential.

If you get one of the camp fire in a can's, grab the $20 top grate or a small BBQ grille for the camp Chef model. When installed it becomes a "cook top" and a "warming fire" both are legitimate reasons to avoid a citation Smile don't ask how I know this
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apples to watermelons there Joe. we're talking ambient propane fire to sit and talk around.. you know because a couple adults sitting in the dark chatting feels creepy. and a coleman lantern hiss doesn't quite do the right thing.
joetiger wrote:

Good to know, thanks.

I have one of these:

But it's louder than hellfire, devours 20# tanks in about 8 hours of use, and is not very portable. Furthermore, I don't think it really gives off that campfire vibe. Good for the garage when it's super cold out, though.

for garage heat, try one of these new radient designs.. much more efficient and actually more comfortable to be near. 360* radient, I'll take along when we camp in the colder months.

Orngbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered one of these through Kickstarter. Looks like a great idea!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/campfireinaca...2-in-1-cam

1984 Westy
1971 Westy
1974 Super Beetle
1963 Beetle, Beryl green
1964 Beetle project
1968 Bradley GT
President, Northern WI Volkswagen Club
www.nwvc.weebly.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
If you get one of the camp fire in a can's, grab the $20 top grate or a small BBQ grille for the camp Chef model. When installed it becomes a "cook top" and a "warming fire" both are legitimate reasons to avoid a citation Smile don't ask how I know this

Excellent point, $13 well spent?
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-58033-Little-Campfire-...727TSXY2E1

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: