Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6 stud cylinders
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: 6 stud cylinders Reply with quote

Hi everyone, anyone have pic's of the type IV engine that has been 6 studs mods. George at EMW only does 5 suds
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6? Whoa, interesting. I have only ever heard of five before. How big of cylinders are you trying to put on that bad boy anyways??

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, they are going to be 103 or 105 also "o"ringed. Brothers machine shop in Ontario CA does the mod, but only to un-completed engines. My engine is very near completion,so they won't do the service.. at the time it was 1300$. I also don't know if it's now possible since I had dual plugs added.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For big cylinders everyone has gone to Nikkies as they don't have the sealing problems that the steel cylinders do and the need for 5 or 6 studs.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on the size of the cylinder and the size of the sealing surface. when you put 15 pounds of boost even nikies leak. I have my own nikie-like cylinders made, I just need them coated.
user/effvee/media/2011-03-26_15-47-10_465.jpg.html]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/URL]

914werke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

effvee wrote:
I also don't know if it's now possible since I had dual plugs added.

Who did the dual plugging to your heads? Do you have any pictures?
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

European Motorwerks did the work.
914werke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

effvee wrote:
Hi, they are going to be 103 or 105 also "o"ringed. Brothers machine shop in Ontario CA does the mod, but only to un-completed engines. My engine is very near completion,so they won't do the service.. at the time it was 1300$. I also don't know if it's now possible since I had dual plugs added.

I am embarking on a 2366 (NA) T4 build and wanted to dual plug my heads. (Im sticking with OE 4 stud & Nickkies) Can you provide some details? I reached out to EMW about that work but never got any response.
effvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

914werke wrote:
effvee wrote:

I am embarking on a 2366 (NA) T4 build and wanted to dual plug my heads. (Im sticking with OE 4 stud & Nickkies) Can you provide some details? I reached out to EMW about that work but never got any response.

Hi, you may need to call them, George is the co-owner, he will help you. It will depend on several things. Such as new valves, larger valves. How much work that will need to be performed. I have two sets of heads. A 1.7 and a 2.0. From what I know the 2.0 would yield he best power. But the 1.7 are not slouch, there is porting to be done. This head is the 2.0
, now what you don't see is the dual "O" ring grooves in the head sealing surface.
These are the same 2.0 heads, notice the barrels, you will see the dual groove. The grooves are in both head and barrel. Also there is a builder in Germany by the name of Ralf Klaus. Mr. Klaus suggest that we add fins very near the spark plug holes to aid in heat dissipation, notice the 1.7 heads.

Here's the 1.7
Also get the smaller spark plugs and nut serts installed in the new spark plug holes. Here's the back side of the second spark plug hole, also have the second spark hole nut serted, George already did mine without asking. Those none serted holes are going to strip out. Get them ported while you are at it.

suggest adding heat sinks very near the spark plug area to aid in head dissipation, you will see this on the 1.7 heads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: