Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New master cylinder, pedal jammed? Push rod?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luft kühl wrote:
Wrong.

In a dual master cylinder the pistons for both hydraulic circuits share the same bore. When one circuit fails, the piston from the good circuit moves up against the failed one to maintain a connection to the pedal. As the piston moves, the additional space that is created needs a small amount of additional fluid in order to remain full. If the single reservoir is already empty, it will suck in air instead and cause the remaining circuit to fail as well.

The residual brake fluid in the Tee-d off hose would be more than enough to provide fluid in this case.

I agree that if you can't determine you have half braking power after 20 pumps, then Darwin should claim you anyhow.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
How old are your soft brake lines? They may have collapsed internally and are restricting fluid flow to and from the master and slave cylinders.

Thanks for suggesting that!
I replaced my Ghia calipers and the M/C before I discovered the bad flex-hoses . . . The brake dragging problem was starting to drive me nuts!
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notablecarrot3 wrote:
mukluk wrote:
How old are your soft brake lines? They may have collapsed internally and are restricting fluid flow to and from the master and slave cylinders.

Replaced in 2008... Mad

Sounds like the MC but how old are the wheel cylinders? German or non? Leaking? What do them flex lines look like? Are any swollen? I've replaced two new ones because they reacted to grease that got on them from the axle. They were still working but swelled up from that grease.

Who did you get the master cylinder from? Maybe it went bad right away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Notablecarrot3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
Notablecarrot3 wrote:
mukluk wrote:

Replaced in 2008... Mad

Sounds like the MC but how old are the wheel cylinders? German or non? Leaking? What do them flex lines look like? Are any swollen? I've replaced two new ones because they reacted to grease that got on them from the axle. They were still working but swelled up from that grease.

Who did you get the master cylinder from? Maybe it went bad right away.

Flex lines are ok, wheel cylinders are all reasonably new, no signs of any leaking.

This is the 3rd master cylinder to go bad and I desperately need a car! Any ideas?

The piston gets stuck and takes ages to work it's was back up ( 10 minutes )

EverettB wrote:
Is it wrong to be jealous of their facial hair abilities?
Notablecarrot3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad took the master cylinder to bits, is this the correct order for putting it back together?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
IMG_4311 by Tom.Wheatley, on Flickr

EverettB wrote:
Is it wrong to be jealous of their facial hair abilities?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a restriction in the connections and lines leading to the reservoir? That would slow down the pedal return.
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 73 super I had a bad problem with the brakes. There was no freeplay in the pedal and the brakes were constantly dragging, and they would get hot and the pedal would get rock hard, making the brakes pretty much useless. I adjusted the stop plate, and the problem was solved. But then the clutch pedal fell down and the cable slipped off the hook. After that I now know to tie the clutch pedal up when adjusting the stop plate.
lavo56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notablecarrot3
To answer your original question. Yes you might have the wrong pushrod. When it was converted to dual cylinder, the person who did the conversion might not have realized a different pushrod was needed.

KTPhil and bill may have both stated that master cylinder brake pushrods are NOT all the same!!! They have to be matched to the master cylinder. My research shows 4 different pushrods for the bugs and at least 2 different ones for the Type III. Some look similar but are NOT the same

This subject is often overlooked and rarely mentioned when conversions are done.

Maybe someone with better writing skills and more knowledge than me could do a sticky on master cylinders and pushrods and how they need to be matched.

IMO I think this might be the cause of some brake bleeding problems also

Steve
Mayor Marion Berry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luft kühl wrote:
grandpa pete wrote:
the single fill reservoir does not affect the dual circuit master as long as it is " T'd " off so it can supply each side .

Anyone who understands how a dual master cylinder works will know why this statement is not true.

can folks shed some light on this for me? I am upgrading my 59 to a dual but im.using the original metal reservior, but T'd to feed each master cylinder. Should i not do this?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the proper dual circuit reservoir has 2 separate chambers in case one leaks all the fluid out, this way you still have some braking. with just a single chamber you are SOL if it leaks all the fluid
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: