Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

accidentally dented my oil filter...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be warned - I have the cd performance maxi 2 pump filter. The mahle OC47 is deeper than the one that CB performance sells for the pump. I had to crush the end to be able to roll it on. I'll be changing the oil again as soon as I get the CB filter in the mail.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the input! Surprised

Yes, I will probably make sure to change my oil filter after every oil change now since it's not all that much of an extra expense. I'm out $6 for a quart of 20w50 oil here, so it usually end up being like $21 for the oil with tax. now factor in a oil filter with shipping and im looking at $36 now.

Not that bad since my engine runs fairly clean and I can usually go about 5 months between oil changes, especially now that I have my nice dual carb setup going.

before, I was changing my oil every 3 months when I had the single carb setup without heat risers. my oil tended to loose its viscosity quicker since unburnt fuel would make its way in there since my engine tended to run cooler than it should during warm up. even so, I really don't believe that much fuel was making its way into my oil since my oil level never raised or flucuated enough to register on the dipstick, and believe me i check it religiously, still do. Wink

So, no oil leaks after the oil change. Wrong! I now have a very slight oil leak coming from the oil filter. Go figure! Didn’t drive it yesterday and went out to check it last night, and sure enough I saw a tiny bit of oil seeping out of where the dimple is in my filter. I guess it’s slightly cracked. It definitely doesn’t leak while it’s just sitting there. It had leaked from where I drove it around after my oil change.

I wiped it clean last night and even taped it up good, lol. This morning no leaks. Drove it to work today and noticed it had leaked just a tad. It seems to leak a little while driving, but then stops once I park it.

This is all very frustrating since I just changed my oil, all though I know this entirely my fault. I know all of this new oil will have to be drained. If I drain it to a clean container, do you think I can reuse it? I know most would say to just pitch it, but what a waste! I baby my car, but I mean the oil is not even 2 days old. It’s still got that yellowish-green tint to it.

Guess that Japanese “montai nai!” (what a waste!) cultural aspect be ingrained into my head. A huge part of Japanese culture is simple not being wasteful. Seriously, most Japanese people clean their plates clean down to the very last morsel of rice.

I panicked the other day after I couldn’t get my oil filter off (stuck) and I noticed I had bent it, because I didn’t have a spare oil filter. (actually I do have an OLD one for parts reference) I had already drained all the oil out. So I thought I could just leave it on as is (didn’t appear to have any damage…)and hope it didn’t have any issues.

Now I know not to put it on so tight, as I probably over tightened it. I thought I remember only tightening it a little past hand tight and I made ABSOLUTELY sure the oil filter seal was in place. Any tips?

Should I oil the filter seal before putting my next one on?

How tight EXACTLY should I put it past hand tight? I know now to try and grip it closer to where it screws on. Heard the metal is more sturdy and thicker there. But still, it wasn’t like I was gripping it in poor spot. I was gripping it in the center.

Also, I have some spare oil, luckily in case I have a severe leak before I can get this mess fixed. I’m probably just going to take it in to my VW shop and bite the $15 labor fee for an oil change. I was already strapped for time in just doing what I thought would be a normal, routine oil change. I really don’t feel like being out there for hours hammering and stabbing away with a screwdriver trying to get those cheaply made, flimsy filters off, even as much as I love that car. I might be able to get it off with the my oil filter wrench if I really tried, but I’m afraid I will only do more damage and then be stuck have to pound and hack away at that stupid thing.

I do feel embarrassed by this stupid mistake. Mistakes. Mistakes. Learn from them.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Be warned - I have the cd performance maxi 2 pump filter. The mahle OC47 is deeper than the one that CB performance sells for the pump. I had to crush the end to be able to roll it on. I'll be changing the oil again as soon as I get the CB filter in the mail.

Just so you know, a Motorcraft FL400S fits perfectly with a CBP Maxi 2 (pic).
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
vamram wrote:

Just so you know, a Motorcraft FL400S fits perfectly with a CBP Maxi 2 (pic).

Windfish, thanks for that info! Good to know, i'll check my local FLAPS for it.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type1vwjapan, yes you should put a little oil on the filter gasket before screwing it on and you do not need a wrench to install the new oil filter. Screw it on as tight as you can get it with one hand. It will vibrate itself tighter as the engine is running, that is why there is this thing called an oil filter wrench, you use that to get it off.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type1vwjapan wrote:

This is all very frustrating since I just changed my oil, all though I know this entirely my fault. I know all of this new oil will have to be drained. If I drain it to a clean container, do you think I can reuse it? I know most would say to just pitch it, but what a waste! I baby my car, but I mean the oil is not even 2 days old. It’s still got that yellowish-green tint to it.

Sure why not reuse the oil, if its clean and has only been in the engine for a short while. It can't be any different than just leaving it there. You should strain it first.

I use synthetic oil in my Beetle and keep the old oil after each oil change (it's always still dark Golden brown). I put it in my wife's '91 Civic (as it leaks about a liter a month),
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why you need to drain the oil to replace the filter. Just replace the filter, then top off the oil level after you run the engine.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I don't see why you need to drain the oil to replace the filter. Just replace the filter, then top off the oil level after you run the engine.

??? Shocked Does anybody actually do this?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait a minute....but if I take off the oil filter, won't a majority of the oil come pouring out?

can someone actually confirm this?

sure I would love to just take off my damaged oil filter and put my new one on, only if a little oil comes out.

I'm assuming from vamram's response that this is not the preferred method. Here is the order I would do it in, assuming it's not okay to just take the oil filter off with oil still in the car.

1. drain the oil
2. strain the oil
3. take off my damaged oil filter (could be quite an episode)
4. put the new filter back on
5. then put the strained oil back in the engine
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saw that it is okay to take the filter off with oil still in the car. didnt know i would only loose the oil in the filter. that is no biggie!

I'm not that worried about my oil getting a little bit dirty. thats fine. shouldnt make much of a difference. at least my valves stopped clattering. Wink
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solved. lots of penetrating oil, my old trusty filter wrench,and lots of manpower. finally got it loose! Surprised only took about 20 minutes. despite getting absolutely drenched in the cold rain, I'm a happy camper. got the satisfaction of fixing my stupid mistake of over tightening the filter and saved some hard earned dough. just waiting on my new filter to come in the mail tomorrow night.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Why the big surprise? He just changed the oil, but not the filter. No need to drain the fresh oil to replace the filter.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

type1vwjapan wrote:
just waiting on my new filter to come in the mail tomorrow night.

a little oil on the gasket (seal) and HAND TIGHTEN the new one.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
vamram wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Why the big surprise? He just changed the oil, but not the filter. No need to drain the fresh oil to replace the filter.

The surprise for me is that I did not know you could do that. I figured all of the oil would come pouring out.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

77kafer wrote:
type1vwjapan wrote:
just waiting on my new filter to come in the mail tomorrow night.

a little oil on the gasket (seal) and HAND TIGHTEN the new one.

once the seal "seats/touches the metal surface" turn the oil filter exactly 3/4 turn more.

I like to then remove my center coil wire, and crank the engine till the oil light goes out.

this will prime the system, and reduce dry-starts caused by a empty oil filter.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windfish - the Motorola filter was a perfect fit, thanks for recommending it. I had to add 3/4 of a quart to to it back off after replacing the Mahle.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: