Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting Lilcar ready for an 1800 mile road trip this summer
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Getting Lilcar ready for an 1800 mile road trip this summer Reply with quote

Hey there Sambinistas!
I am in the process of getting my 1963 Karmann Ghia "Lilcar" prepared for a tour of the Canadian Maritimes this August. This trip will involve 6 other cars - all Vintage air cooled VWs and Porsche 356s- We'll begin in Maine and from there go to New Brunswick (crossing the 8 mile confederation bridge!) into Prince Edward Island. After taking 2 days to explore PEI we’ll take a ferry to the western coast of Cape Breton Island, then move onto Nova Scotia followed up with touring the coast of New Brunswick. After that we'll cross back into Maine and head home. Total mileage should be around 1800 miles. I can't wait!

I am in the process of preparing my car and have a lot of work ahead of me - I figured that posting a thread in the Ghia forum would give me the incentive to keep plugging forward and also the chance to reach out to fellow Ghia owners when in a quandary as to what to do next...

First a bit of background about my Ghia - she came already named by the previous owner - Lilcar. I found her 6 years ago on Craigslist in San Francisco. She was more of a project than I was interested in but a picture the seller posted of the underside of her trunk lid showed her original Pacific Blue paint which intrigued me. And she was essentially rust-free. Here are a couple of shots of what she looked like when I got her....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pretty dismal - faded metal flake dark blue over dark aqua over Pacific blue. Top in tatters. Interior totally painted black (even inside the glovebox!). Ivory knobs replaced with wooden ones along with the steering wheel. A tired 1961 engine which did run after playing with it a bit. But boy, was she tired....
I made contract with her original owner as well as the woman who owned her from 1973-2007 and they were a wealth of information and inspiration. The original owner sent me pictures of what she looked like brand new

Initially, I was looking for an original car and soon discovered that original early convertibles were few and far between in my price range. The second best thing would be to try and refurbish her so that anyone casually looking at her would think she was a original survivor and that's been my goal from the beginning. I have tried to source original or NOS items when I can and when I can't I try to make it as original as possible.

The first thing I did was to start stripping off the 2 coats of paint covering the pacific blue. This took an incredibly long time and left me with a somewhat spotted car which I filled in with a near perfect match from my local car paint shop. Here are some pictures of that process-

and this is what she looks like now-

But there's still a long way to go - right now I am working on the seats - the horsehair was disintegrating and the sag in the middle makes it impossible for me to see over the steering wheel. I separated the springs from the frame and after painting the frame will hand it over to my upholstery guy who is going to repad and fit original ice blue upholstery which I sourced on The Samba. She's got a appointment with a shop with experience with Ghia tops early April and then she's off to a friend in VT who will rebuild me a 40HP engine which I can rely on to go the distance.

I still have to replace rubber and finish up the interior work. I found some original salt and pepper carpet which I am installing little by little. I refurbished the top frame and need to do some bow work before the top gets done. Lots of little stuff - it's mind boggling but the August deadline keeps me honest for sure!

Here are the most recent pictures:
Original carpeting partially installed – I have the missing pieces – just need to attach the rubber matting to the carpet
seat frame and springs before paint
springs after paint
I have been away the past few weeks on vacation but will get back to her next week…. Will post updates as they happen!
Cheers, Diane
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice work stripping all that old paint off to get to the original paint! It looks sooo much better now.

Keep updating your thread with your progress!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely love this Ghia Cool , what a transformation.Pacific blue is one of my favourite colours,looks great with that blue/green canvas top.
It inspires me to get stripping the paint on my Ghia.

The trip sounds fun too, post plenty of pics Very Happy
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvelous!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice transformation! I really like how you saw the OG car was there just waiting to be restored..looking forward to hearing more from the trip too!
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately the top is going to have to be black canvas. I have looked everywhere for a turkis top and nothing is available. Chuck Coli (Chuck's convertible parts) has a swatch of original material and says he's been looking for years too. Perhaps someday, but for now black will have to do. You might notice that the original boot was also turkis and I do have it but alas it was painted black when the interior was- I scrubbed a little too hard trying to get the black off and messed it up enough that it won't look great but found a pretty nice '64 boot which I can use a vinyl paint on if it fits after the new top is restored. But I want to check the fit first. If I can use it then I'll have to have a new one made - I'd much rather use what should have been there to begin with!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately the top is going to have to be black canvas. I have looked everywhere for a turkis top and nothing is available. Chuck Coli (Chuck's convertible parts) has a swatch of original material and says he's been looking for years too. Perhaps someday, but for now black will have to do. You might notice that the original boot was also turkis and I do have it but alas it was painted black when the interior was- I scrubbed a little too hard trying to get the black off and messed it up enough that it won't look great but found a pretty nice '64 boot which I can use a vinyl paint on if it fits after the new top is restored. But I want to check the fit first. If I can use it then I'll have to have a new one made - I'd much rather use what should have been there to begin with!

Awesome car, and awesome work so far bringing it back more closely to original condition!
It never ceases to amaze me that layers of subsequent paint can be removed without completely destroying the original finish.

I tried looking up the original color choices here in the Technical Paint/Upholstery archives, but I found that particular brochure to be a bit confusing.
Were the original Cabriolet top color options for a Pacific Blue Ghia either the Turkis or Black?

If that is correct, then I can certainly see why you would want to go with a black top until you can find some correct turkis colored material.
However - and obviously this is just my personal opinion (that nobody even asked for) - I would think that perhaps a top that more closely matches the off-white color in the door panel upholstery would gve a better overall look to the car than a black top.

Keep up the great work - it is truly very inspirational.
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really nice, and love seeing the Pacific Blue shining through! Mine is originally the same color, although currently only the interior still shows it. I'll some day see what's what underneath the paint on the body, and hope it comes out looking as nicely as yours.
Sounds like an awesome trip in your future!
WooleyNelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice car!

not to be picky, but.......

Side trim strips?????? Smile
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it were mine I would never have the top up! I think I'd dye the boot Turkis Cool
Your work at resurrecting your Ghia is remarkable!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?

Last edited by kingkarmann on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work thus far! Love those vintage photos with the Turkis top!

Will you be rebuilding the 40 horse with the AA 86 mm "big bore" pistons/cylinders or have you managed to find some original 83 mm ones? That extra displacement of the 1385 cc vs. the original 1192 cc might help you on your trip. Smile
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many different ways to do a "restoration" ... I really appreciate the path you chose. Very special. Thanks for sharing.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KGCoupe"
Were the original Cabriolet top color options for a Pacific Blue Ghia either the Turkis or Black?

I would think that perhaps a top that more closely matches the off-white color in the door panel upholstery would gve a better overall look to the car than a black top.

[/quote]

Thanks, KG! Here is a copy of what Chuck sent me

I believe the top colors are on the right hand side- it sure looks like there was a third color offered - the off white on the door panels is actually ice blue - a very pale blue - I am not sure whether that third color is ice blue or grey...
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WooleyNelson wrote:
Really nice car!

not to be picky, but.......

Side trim strips?????? Smile

Good catch! Smile Actually that picture was before side trim was added - holes are there but you can't see them - here's a more recent picture but I had not installed the side view mirror yet.

moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Well if it were mine I would never have the top up! I think I'd dye the boot Turkis Cool

That is totally the plan!!!
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:

Will you be rebuilding the 40 horse with the AA 86 mm "big bore" pistons/cylinders or have you managed to find some original 83 mm ones? That extra displacement of the 1385 cc vs. the original 1192 cc might help you on your trip. Smile

While I want a 100% stock look a big bore kit it absolutely something I am considering. I have been on a bunch of these tours before driving something with more than 40 horses and even then it's been a challenge to keep up with the 356s on hills - it's amazing the torque they have! The other non stock thing I will be retaining is not going back to a 6V system. Right now it's running 12V and it just makes life much easier.....Maybe I can hide the battery under the seat and install a dummy 6V in the engine compartment?
caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome car!! What other details are there about the road trip? I am planning a very similar trip this summer from NJ to the outer most point north east Canada in our 67 bus.
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caseydenise wrote:
Awesome car!! What other details are there about the road trip? I am planning a very similar trip this summer from NJ to the outer most point north east Canada in our 67 bus.

Thanks! The planning is in the early stages now but the fellow organizing it has done with with 356s before. This is what he has sent out so far :
-
We will meet at a rest stop in New Hampshire to head north through Maine into New Brunswick for an eight-day clockwise tour of Canada’s Maritime Provinces and coastal Maine.

Our game plan will take us through Maine and into New Brunswick for day one. Day two will find us traversing New Brunswick and crossing the 8 mile confederation bridge into Prince Edward Island. We will then spend two days exploring PEI while based in Charlottetown. On day four we’ll take a ferry to the western coast of Cape Breton Island for one night. A night on the southeastern coast of Nova Scotia will follow. Our final day in Canada will find us meandering south along coastal New Brunswick, where the highest tides in North America exist. Then we’ll cross back into Maine. On Friday, 8/21 we’ll head south along Maine’s eastern coast to pick up I-95 south above Portland headed for home.

Day one will be a thruway trek to Bangor followed by Maine’s Rte.9 east to New Brunswick. Our plan is to put the inland turf behind us. Our Maritime days will be more leisurely with numerous diversions for sight seeing at a slower pace. I will be planning the route and selecting our nightly lodging. There will also be a few wrinkles that get everyone involved during our Canadian Maritimes week.

I know I'll get more details and will be sure to post them- To do this in my '63 is a dream come true! Smile
Diane
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've covered this before off-line, but to the others on theSamba it's too bad that the current MINI convertible's green top is too different from the original color:

Even Rolls-Royce does not offer a green top on their Drophead Coupe ($$$$) though with enough money I'm sure RR could make a custom-colored top.

Some of the green colors offered here (462, 466) could go very well, but boat canvas seems not to be suitable for cars...
http://www.glfi.com/marinecatalog_topgunpage.htm
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, Rome! It's amazing the subtle differences in green and blue tops just don't go with Pacific Blue - I talked to a member of the Haartz family several years back at the big AACA Fall meet at Hershey and he said that they would make custom colors but it would require something like enough material to make 200 tops....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: