Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting Lilcar ready for an 1800 mile road trip this summer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try on a scrap piece of metal first, just to be sure considering how much replacement handles are!
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_round wrote:
I would try on a scrap piece of metal first, just to be sure considering how much replacement handles are!

If you can find them at all! Good idea! What was there originally I wonder? Even if I can get this to work it won't look finished on the exposed side....
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found some time to get more stuff done....I got the rear seat hinges attached at last - who would have guessed there's a left and right side? Embarassed The seat sits much lower and looks much better - Thanks so much Mike and Nicholas for pointing me in the right direction here. Installed the rubber strap to hold the rear seat in place- I have never been able to secure that seat up until now- Carpet just sitting in place - I will have to install that and the windlace pieces next. The driver's seat is at a shop to repair a tear and hopefully some seam stitching that has started to separate. I ordered a black stayfast boot from Chuck -

Started a punch list - still have to figure out a way to keep the passenger visor to stop flopping. I can't tighten the screw any tighter and it still won't stay in place. Got a little work in the trunk to do - Still have to figure out how to install that parcel tray. I may not get to the crank before this trip because I am now at the point where I don't want to hurry things for the sake of getting it done and then screwing it up as a result of it. I also have a few more pieces of rubber to install. Closer to the departure date I'll change the oil and adjust the valves.
Less than two weeks to go- doesn't seem possible!

Little holes here and there are the downside of using original materials!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Lilcar!
She's 53 today! Very Happy
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:
Happy Birthday Lilcar!

If only we responded as well to restoration. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
moogie32 wrote:
Happy Birthday Lilcar!

If only we responded as well to restoration. Laughing

You can say that again, John!
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less than a week left! Productive day yesterday finishing up a bunch of little things - the rear interior is finally installed; windlace in place and rugs and hinge covers secured. I found the missing hinge cover washer which looks much better than the thick zinc washer I had in place of it. Still need pillar seals but Jullian95 has them in stock and can get them to me before I leave Thursday. The parcel tray is finally installed and the trunk spot painted Pacific Blue where I had applied Master Series to some surface rust. While I was trying to get the edges of the dash pad to tuck under more I found more of that metal flake blue paint which I stripped off. Aircraft Peeler works like a gem - I don't know why more people stripping the paint off their cars don't use it.

Going to the Terryville Bug-A-Fair today - hoping to get little bits like points and wires for spares....

moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's getting down to the wire.....I have spent the last few days getting little things done - changed oil, worked on getting the visors to stay in position, glued in the front pillar seals, adjusted valves (thanks for your help John and Steve!) and picked up a fuel pump, wires, cap, rotor, points, throttle and clutch cables, fan belt, and fuel filter tonight. She's as ready as she's going to be.

Had a near hit yesterday turning back into our road while out warming the engine for an oil change - I was at a dead stop, blinker on, waiting for a line of cars to pass when to my horror I saw a motorcyclist in my rear view mirror coming at me very quickly. I had no time to react and just braced for the inevitable impact when fortunately he finally saw me and had the sense not to slam on his brakes - he gunned it and somehow got around me just in time- I am still shaken by it - and while I do everything I can to drive defensively nothing I could do could change a situation like that...someone was looking out for me for sure! Here are a couple of pictures from the Harwington show - didn't really find anything in the swaps but it was a great time - Thanks to Bug City Dave and Bill S for the tutorial on how to properly fold my roof! Yippee!
Very Happy

The original boot fits!

On the way to the show

Castillian Yellow '67 will be one of the cars on the tour

Can't believe its almost tour time!!!!!

Last edited by moogie32 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very exciting! Looking gorgeous! Cool
The convertible top boot looks beautiful, you must tell us your top tips for the perfect fold! I can never get the elusive straight folded look, I always end up with runckled lateral ends! Embarassed
Here's to a great trip, and many trouble free miles!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the trip...the Ghia looks beautiful. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Very, very exciting! Looking gorgeous! Cool
The convertible top boot looks beautiful, you must tell us your top tips for the perfect fold! I can never get the elusive straight folded look, I always end up with runckled lateral ends! Embarassed
Here's to a great trip, and many trouble free miles!

John Moxon wrote:
Enjoy the trip...the Ghia looks beautiful. Smile

Thanks guys! McDonaldneal - I will try to get step by step pictures of the process - I am still a neophyte when it comes to top folding and also don't have the strength to push down on it enough to clasp the side hooks to secure the frame. The other day when I did it myself it took several tries and I may have some runckled lateral ends myself! Wink Since one of the "pros" is on this tour I'll wait to take pictures under his tutelage.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about a driving top down picture...and two verts, awesome. This is such a nice car, (as is the 67). Not to be too picky...ya gotta do something with your door mounted cowl mount rear view mirror. Sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Not to be too picky...ya gotta do something with your door mounted cowl mount rear view mirror. Sad

I know, I know - It's not correct... but here was my dilemma -
Originally there was a mirror installed way forward on the fender - I am assuming by the dealer. You can see it in the original photos. When I got her those had been replaced by aftermarket mirrors which I didn't want to keep. I knew I wanted a mirror where I could actually adjust it while driving and as I stripped the paint I discovered holes in the door where I'm guessing another mirror had been installed at one point in her life. I had a template ready to go to mount it on the cowl but I just couldn't bear the thought of drilling more holes in her for a mirror. And you know, it isn't too bad where it is - and it really beats not having a mirror at all!
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's the guy who was supposed to be my co-pilot for this tour and unfortunately won't be making this tour due to health reasons; my dad.
He's accompanied me on my last two tours and he's a lot of fun to have sitting shotgun but this time around it wasn't meant to be. Get well, Dad - you'll always be the first person I ask to accompany me on a road trip!

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moogie32 wrote:

The original boot fits!

Can't believe its almost tour time!!!!!

Your car is looking GREAT! - all of your efforts and hard work have certainly paid off.
You must be SO excited, not only about the upcoming trip but about having such a beautiful old Ghia Cabriolet that you will continue to make memories in long after this trip is over.

I love the fact that you were able to keep so much of the original items, and am quite simply amazed at just how well things cleaned up.
Congrats on resisting the urge to completely restore a car that simply does not need a complete restoration - It's wonderful to see an original old car that wears its original "wear and tear" so well.
(Not that I am in any way against completely restoring, or even over-restoring, old cars - I just have a deep appreciation for "survivors".)

You are going to have such a wonderful trip! There is nothing else quite like taking a long scenic road trip in an old Volkswagen.
The fact that you will be part of a group of like-minded enthusiasts is a huge bonus, particularly if any unforseen mechanical issues should happen to pop up.

moogie32 wrote:

Castillian Yellow '67 will be one of the cars on the tour

It's always great to see a nice Castillian Yellow Ghia, be it a KG Cabriolet or KG Coupe. Smile
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
It's always great to see a nice Castillian Yellow Ghia, be it a KG Cabriolet or KG Coupe. Smile

I was thinking the exact same thing! Very Happy Get busy D Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

Your car is looking GREAT! - all of your efforts and hard work have certainly paid off.
You must be SO excited, not only about the upcoming trip but about having such a beautiful old Ghia Cabriolet that you will continue to make memories in long after this trip is over.

I love the fact that you were able to keep so much of the original items, and am quite simply amazed at just how well things cleaned up.
Congrats on resisting the urge to completely restore a car that simply does not need a complete restoration - It's wonderful to see an original old car that wears its original "wear and tear" so well.
(Not that I am in any way against completely restoring, or even over-restoring, old cars - I just have a deep appreciation for "survivors".)

Thanks KG - I feel the exact same way! I am really happy Lilcar cleaned up as well as she did - there's something about this car....this is the one car I'll end up with and the only one I suck my breath in on every time I see her....

c21darrel wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing! Very Happy Get busy D Cool

I agree! Very Happy
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 1 - or should I say Pre 1 - 200 miles From Branford Ct to Seabrook NH- Lilcar ran like a champ. Met up with Bill and Hillary in upstate CT and drove to New Hampshire tonight to get an early start - we need meet the others tomorrow at 10AM.

Heard one of the 356s experienced transmission troubles and has been sidelined for a newer Porsche.....

Packed and loaded truck

New copilot - daughter Sarah

on our way - Mass Pike

Ghias in hotel lot- newsflash! Found out tonight Lilcar locks! Never tried this before since she lacked a top and it didn't matter.

Tomorrow we drive something like 400 miles to get to Canada.... Shocked
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!
Soooo exciting when the day finally comes!
Looks like you've got a co-pilot and photographer with IT skills, so you shouldn't get lost and there should be plenty of pictures to keep us entertained and to show your dad when you get home! Very Happy

You know we'll be following you all the way, good luck, and happy travels!

(Expertly packed trunk btw!)

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Yay!
Soooo exciting when the day finally comes!
Looks like you've got a co-pilot and photographer with IT skills, so you shouldn't get lost and there should be plenty of pictures to keep us entertained and to show your dad when you get home! Very Happy

You know we'll be following you all the way, good luck, and happy travels!

(Expertly packed trunk btw!)

Thanks Mcdonaldneal! It is hard to believe everything has finally come together for this and I appreciate your well wishes!

Today was more of a day of just putting in the miles to get to the start of where we will really tour - we drove mostly mostly interstates through Maine to get to the Canadian border and are now 100 miles north in the border in St Johns. Total mileage today was about 400 miles and I am happy to say Lilcar is running strong. We met up with 4 Porsches a '57 , '65, '88, and '06 at 10 this morning in New Hampshire. Speeds mostly 70-75mph. I have the smallest engine and am happy for the big bore pistons and cylinders!

Hopefully pictures will be more scenic tomorrow - here's some from today:

tour lineup

with moose in Maine

somewhere on I-95 maine

waiting at customs Canada

and entering St John

Last edited by moogie32 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: