Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting Lilcar ready for an 1800 mile road trip this summer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Is Bill Collins still active in the VW scene Bill...I thought he had sold off his collection...or am I going crazy??

He's remained active in the vintage aircooled scene, John - he did sell off a large number of cars in his collection - most notably his hebmueller, a bunch of splits, ovals, and a gorgeous original black '67 Ghia but retained the '67 Beetle convertible Rome showed as well as a really nice '51 which sports a 356 engine- a very quick car- He's also got 2 beautiful 356s - a '59 convertible D and one of the very last '65s off the line. He still really enjoys driving his cars and takes the 356s across county on a regular basis. He has put together a few small 356/VW tours in the past years- quite a lot of fun! This is the longest one that I have been involved in by far - up until now 500 miles was about the longest I've been on....
Here's a photo of our '54 convertible on one of his tours to VT we took a couple years ago
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The starter quit 60 miles into the trip and we had to park on hills every time we parked it thereafter!
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn

Last edited by moogie32 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diane,

Will this work for the hook, spring, etc.?

http://www.vintagecarparts.de/liste.php?set_shop=1&set_wg=58&set_markwg=88;58

Thanks
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:

Well here's the hook at least.

http://www.chucksconvertibleparts.com/products/ghia-top-hold-down-catch-hook

It might be worth a phone call to him for the other bits

Nicholas

Nicholas - thank you so much! I can't believe I didn't think to check with Chuck. I'll call him tomorrow to see if he has the spring and the screw.
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Will you give the entire bow a brush-on coat of the same epoxy, or at least a marine-grade urethane?

The chrome top latch surround plate came out great- did you use 0000 steel wool and a good (German) chrome polish?

Does your top frame have the half-circle metal loop into which your chrome top retaining "fingers" engage when the top is down? Like this one-

This afternoon here in the NY metro area it was nearly 60F and sunny- easily warm enough to drive a convertible with the top down. But mine is still trapped in the garage by over a foot of snow. And 2 years overdue with the NY state vehicle safety inspection. Mad Embarassed

Hi Rome, The first thing I did was to uniformly brush the polymer over the whole bow without sawdust filler to allow it to impregnate the wood - then I came back with the sawdust fortified mixture to fill in holes. I used a fine grade steel wool (000) to get rust off and then came back with Mother's metal polish - it's what we had on hand and it seemed to work well enough - none of this chrome is perfect to begin with but neither is the whole car so at least it all should match. My top frame does have those loops. You need to get that Ghia inspected! I fully expect to run with you (top down, of course!) this summer! Very Happy
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tri356 wrote:
Hi Diane,

Will this work for the hook, spring, etc.?

http://www.vintagecarparts.de/liste.php?set_shop=1&set_wg=58&set_markwg=88;58

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike - yes! That looks like it will work as well - thank you so much- I think I will check out Chuck's hook first because it's a less expensive alternative and if I just buy the hook and spring I can still use my original base. There's one for sale in the ads as well and I've been in contact with the seller- judging from the research I've done in the archives it appears these hooks were the same through '71. Thanks so much for finding this for me! Diane
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you described in your tour preparations sounded very, very familiar.

I was one of eight pre-1958 Volkswagen owners lucky enough to be invited to join Bill in his Hebmueller on the Vintage VW Tour of a lifetime, the DKF's "Return To The Fatherland Tour" back in the Summer of 1999.

Nine old classic VWs hauled their owners, co-drivers, luggage, tools and spare parts out of Los Angeles on a 12 day backroads tour over four 10,000 foot passes in the Rockies and across the USA, into Canada, and on to New York City. The cars were then loaded into three 53' containers for the transatlantic boat trip to England, were the owners/co-drivers picked them up again for the 15 day European leg of the tour. We had dinner, drinks and an incredible lecture from Major Ivan Hirst all about his post WW2 times at Wolfsburg, then a ferry crossing of the English Channel, a stop in Belgium at BBT, private tours of the Karmann factory and their private, incredible collection of prototypes, then a three day extravaganza hosted by VWAG during a visit to their Wolfburg factory grounds, museum and driving our cars at their nearby Erha Lussien Proving grounds. Then on to the 1999 Bad Camberg weekend where our "longest distance driven" (by far) DKF Tour cars/drivers were a feature for the BC weekend. Then we all headed back to England where the cars were shipped again back to ports in the USA and then driven by their owners back home. I ended up driving my original condition, unrestored 1955 Deluxe Sunroof Beetle a grand total of just over 6,630 miles from LA roundtrip to Europe and back to St. Louis. Thanks to Bill and the other participants, this was by far the best VW adventure I've ever been on, and I've been on a lot of them!

Bill Collins did a fantastic job organizing the DFK RTTFT'99 keeping over 30 "A-type" personality wackos and their cars together and moving forward. He'll do a great job on your adventure, just listen to all of his advice and cautions on preparations and you'll have a ball!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,
I absolutely remember that tour and wished so much I was a part of it. Talk about an experience of a lifetime! Steve and I were members of DKF and while we did have VWs that fit the requirements of DKF's pre '58 policy none of them were ever mechanically up to the challenge of any of those tours. I sat on the sidelines wishing I could be an active part of things but sadly never got the chance. A couple of years ago another ex DKF friend and I were in contact with Bill and somehow we got him inspired to plan another small scale tour - it was up route 100 in Vermont for a long weekend and it was a blast! There have been several others, one planned by another tour member, the rest by Bill and each so special in their own way. The problem is that Bill and his lovely wife Connie are the ones who do all the work while we have all the fun; setting these things up is not easy. I help where I can (I am usually in charge of happy hour! Smile) but the small things I do can't compare to the work they put into it- this might be the last one - not sure- but that's the main reason I want to get this car ready for it. With the exception of the tour I took the '54 on I have always had to drive one of more modern VWs and every year I say that next time I'll be driving my Ghia- so this time, finally, I hope it will finally happen. Thanks for sharing your story and feel free to describe it more- the rest of us can only dream of an experience such as what you lived.....
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your story and feel free to describe it more

Bill- how about the roadside engine rebuild of the Christensen's KdF near Elmira, NY? How the group got the engine out? Wink And there was a KdF cylinder head in the spare parts supply brought along?! Shocked
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:

Bill- how about the roadside engine rebuild of the Christensen's KdF near Elmira, NY? How the group got the engine out? Wink And there was a KdF cylinder head in the spare parts supply brought along?! Shocked

I had no idea....that's absolutely incredible....
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:

I hope the engine rebuild was before my Dad (Carl Meier) was driving Christensen's KDF. I heard the story from my brother (Jeff Meier) who was also on this trip. I guess Dick let my Dad drive the KDF and that my Dad was going a little too fast...passing other cars and when the group made it to the next stop, Dick ran up to my Dad and took the keys away from him. I guess Dick didn't know that my Dad used to race stock cars and midgets back in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I guess it's just in the blood to want to see how fast this little VW would go. Sorry Dick.

Diane, I hope you have a wonderful time on your road trip. Your cabriolet is looking great!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theghiagirl wrote:

I hope the engine rebuild was before my Dad (Carl Meier) was driving Christensen's KDF. I heard the story from my brother (Jeff Meier) who was also on this trip. I guess Dick let my Dad drive the KDF and that my Dad was going a little too fast...passing other cars and when the group made it to the next stop, Dick ran up to my Dad and took the keys away from him. I guess Dick didn't know that my Dad used to race stock cars and midgets back in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I guess it's just in the blood to want to see how fast this little VW would go. Sorry Dick.

Diane, I hope you have a wonderful time on your road trip. Your cabriolet is looking great!

Just when you think the story couldn't get more interesting...thanks so much for sharing this detail, Lisa, and thanks for the compliment on my Ghia - coming from your that's a big deal! Very Happy Diane
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow but steady progress on refinishing pieces for top installation as well as door weather stripping and carpet and mat which cover the bulkhead. When I bought the set of '64 OG carpet it came with the piece which goes around the steering column and over to the passenger side but the rubber mat which sits above the pedal cluster on the driver's side was missing. I eventually found the mat but it was attached to a shorter piece of carpet - possibly for an earlier car? Anyway, when I took my seats to my upholstery guy I asked him to sew the mat to the correct piece of carpet and it fits like a glove!

Since the entire interior of Lilcar had been painted black my next task was to pull apart the header plate and refinish it along with the top lock mechanism which needed cleaning, lubrication and black paint removed from the knob.

Here they are finished - nice to have that knob ivory again!

and last but certainly not least both doors got weather stripping applied -
what a messy job! I have a little clean up to do around the seal but that will wait until they are totally dry

One question I have is how the handle for the top lock stays closed once the top is locked into position. It folds in on itself and seems to be missing something to keep the handle from opening up again? Here's a picture of the backside

- is there something obvious anyone can see? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work moogie. I've just gone through the same thing with my handle, but the whole of mine had been painted black, managed to get it all off though.
I too had the problem of a floppy handle which wouldn't stay closed, so after closer inspection I found that there should be a grub screw that holds it in place. If you look closely, there is what looks like a moulding mark on the metal which is filler covering up where the hole is. I removed that and put in a a new grub screw and all works fine now. Not filled the hole yet as I'm not sure what to fill it with. Closes with a nice click now.
These are the ones I ordered:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4-M5-M6-M8-A2-Stainless...hash=item0
But I can't remember which size but I think they were M6.
Photo showing location of screw:
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul! I would have never figured that out on my own - I really appreciate it- I'll make sure of the size and order one up. Funny yours was painted black too - must have been in vogue in the 70's!
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_round wrote:

I too had the problem of a floppy handle which wouldn't stay closed, so after closer inspection I found that there should be a grub screw that holds it in place. If you look closely, there is what looks like a moulding mark on the metal which is filler covering up where the hole is. I removed that and put in a a new grub screw and all works fine now. Not filled the hole yet as I'm not sure what to fill it with. Closes with a nice click now.

Could you send over a picture of the other side? I'd like to see how this grub screw sits. How did you fasten it in the handle - interference fit/pound it in?

Thanks
Mike
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tri356 wrote:
paul_round wrote:

Could you send over a picture of the other side? I'd like to see how this grub screw sits. How did you fasten it in the handle - interference fit/pound it in?

Thanks
Mike

I wouldn't mind seeing that too - we looked at it and I think it gets screwed into the handle from the outside while the handle is partially folded so that the end of the grub screw interacts with a mechanism that sits inward to the hinge? But we're not 100% sure.
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, not the best photo for showing how it fits, but after cleaning out the filler, I fully expected to have to tap it, but it already has a thread, so my screw just went straight in!
On the inside, there is a ratchet, which I had to play around with to get it in the right position (you can just see the indent that lines up with the screw tip when it's closed), so that when the grub screw is screwed in enough it goes 'click' when the handle is folded and stays put. The screw I bought is just the right length and is not proud, so as I said, i just need to find the right filler to cover it up.
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul! This makes sense and I also understand how using the grub screw you posted a link to that you'd be left with the hexagonal shaped hole on the viewable side of the handle. Really appreciate this - thanks!
Diane
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my seats back today and boy did Brian do a great job! He wasn't 100% sure 50 year old vinyl would be able to be stretched over new padding but made it work. He installed new springs and new foam. The horsehair was in good enough shape to be reused but he wrapped it in burlap to keep it in place. He also cut the carpet which covers the rear seat back to size and reinstalled the original binding around it so it would match the rest adjacent carpet. For the first time ever I am able to see over the dash! Very Happy

Carpet cut to size - sedan's are larger than convertibles it would seem

underside of seat - he even reinstalled the paper tag he found when taking them apart.

not in pristine shape but they'll match the patina of the car

in place but not installed in the tracks yet....
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Collins sent me a list of the contents of his long distance and has recommended we all put one together - in his words "The travel kit riding between the spare tire and the gas tank is contained in a soft-sided piece of carry on luggage. Fully loaded it weighs in at about 25 lbs. On many of my shorter jaunts the kit serves as insurance or ballast- if it's there, you won't need it. However, increase the number of Porsches or VWs along with miles and there's a good chance you'll see it opened and in use- it works for us"

That said, I thought I'd share it with you - this has been compiled for 356s so modify it for whatever your ride is.

1 - New fan belt 9.5W X 325 L
1 - Bulb and Fuse kit including
1 Headlight bulb 40/45W
2 Stop and Taillight bulbs single filament
1 Parking bulb
2 Instrument bulbs
2 Warning light bulbs
3 White fuses - 8/15 amps
1 Blue fuse 25/40 amps
1 Carburetor rebuild kit
1 Carburetor linkage repair kit
1 Petcock rebuild kit
1 Fuel Pump rebuild kit
1 Fuel pump bases with gaskets
1 Blue 100mm Gas cap gasket
1 Flexible gas line with 2 ss Ideal clamps
1 Distributor cap with rotor, Point set and condenser
1 6V ignition coil
1 6V Voltage regulator
1 complete generator pulley with
5 spacing shims
1 generator nut
2 Woodruff keys
1 set 6V Generator brushes and screws
4 W6BC spark plugs
1 long spark plug wire w/ connector and boot
1 coil wire w/boots
2 exhaust manifold gaskets
2 valve cover gaskets
2 oil sump gaskets
1 oil filter w/gasket
1 oil pressure sending unit
2 valve springs w/keepers
1 brake light switch
1 set brake return springs, keepers and clips
1 clutch cable with adjusting nuts
1 rear axle bearing
1 rear axle seal w/ cotter key
1 front outer roller wheel bearing
1 front inner roller wheel bearing
1 front wheel seal
1 left upper front wheel cylinder
(reversed for right front brake)
1 left lower front wheel cylinder
(reversed for right front brake)
1 wiper blade
1 small bag asst'd metric nuts, bolts, screws, aircraft wire, lug nuts

I am not sure whether the carb kits include a throttle cable so I'll add that along with a roll of duct tape and of course a set of tools.
Are we forgetting anything?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: