Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fun with my 71 Ghia project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to get the headlights on and I'm looking for information on how it all goes back together. It's been so long since I took the original ones Off I don't remember what goes where. I believe I have all the parts I need. Rolling Eyes

Besides whatever screws I'm missing that I have no idea what kind or how many, am I missing anything else like some special rubber or "Widget"? The buckets on the fender were also replaced with new ones so that part is ready also I just need a little help from the group...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

there are some pics/diagrams showing how they fit together in this thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614277&highlight=headlight+help

There are several other threads I can remember seeing in the past. You may want to search "headlight".
Your parts look like they are reproduction so they may not be exactly like originals. I can tell you this....I remember it took me several hours putting mine together...EACH SIDE. Very Happy
GOOD LUCK!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Thanks Darrel, I think it's going to be mostly trial and error until I get it. The screws that attach all this to the buckets on the fender. Are they sheet metal screws or machine screws?
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

The electrical harness finally arrived. Quality looks pretty great and I loved that all the cables are marked for what they are for the length of each cable. I got the "Trunk" mounted version which will give me the cable length I need. I seen another one in another post recently for ALOT less money but I'm really happy with this. Haven't made up my mind exactly yet but I'm leaning towards mounting the fuse panel in the back of the glove box accessible from the inside of the car. Think

I'm going to enjoy this part and I finally get to mount the headlights, tail lights and turn signals! I also got a control box that manages the wipers (Turns on the headlights when the wipers turn on), automatic headlights (turns on at dusk and 30 second auto off) and the soft dim for the dome light.

And I can't forget electric locks and windows. The window's module has an auto vent feature if the interior gets too hot Shocked

Here is a closer look at the fuse panel. Seems to have 100% of what I need. Very Happy

SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Just for fun here are a few pictures of the paint job. Every angle I look at it is a different color. I need to wait about 3 or 4 more weeks for it to fully cure so it can get color sanded, glazed, polished and first coat of wax Very Happy

Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Damn!! insert drooling smiley here.....
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

I think all the stainless steel bolts give it a clean look. I got 4 long machine screws left over from the door kit. I put everything on the doors and hinges already but cant figure out what they could be for. The inside door handles maybe? I can't remember how the original ones were mounted like Brick wall They are about 2 or 3 inches long...

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Quote:
The screws that attach all this to the buckets on the fender. Are they sheet metal screws or machine screws?

As i recall every layer you put in uses different size and style screw. I bet if you look in a HOG catalog (online) you will find what size goes where.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
The screws that attach all this to the buckets on the fender. Are they sheet metal screws or machine screws?

As i recall every layer you put in uses different size and style screw. I bet if you look in a HOG catalog (online) you will find what size goes where.

I've been looking around and I've found lots of exploded views but the quality is usually too poor to see detail like screw types. With the paint that got on the inside of the light buckets in the fenders I cant really tell if the holes are sheet metal or machine screws. But after thinking about it I would imagine that they would be machine screws so I'm just going to chase the holes through with a metric tap.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
...I also got a control box that manages the wipers (Turns on the headlights when the wipers turn on), automatic headlights (turns on at dusk and 30 second auto off) and the soft dim for the dome light.

And I can't forget electric locks and windows. The window's module has an auto vent feature if the interior gets too hot...

I have similar plans for my build. Do you mind sharing vendor and part numbers for the control box and other goodies mentioned in the quote? I am search challenged Sad and always have the hardest time crafting a query that yields the results I seek.

BTW, I know you plan on going "Full shiny mirror finish" on the paint but living in Florida the orange peel would just blend into the landscape Smile

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
SoCalJes wrote:
...I also got a control box that manages the wipers (Turns on the headlights when the wipers turn on), automatic headlights (turns on at dusk and 30 second auto off) and the soft dim for the dome light.

And I can't forget electric locks and windows. The window's module has an auto vent feature if the interior gets too hot...

I have similar plans for my build. Do you mind sharing vendor and part numbers for the control box and other goodies mentioned in the quote? I am search challenged Sad and always have the hardest time crafting a query that yields the results I seek.

BTW, I know you plan on going "Full shiny mirror finish" on the paint but living in Florida the orange peel would just blend into the landscape Smile

I'll lookup the links and post them here tomorrow.
Well actually since Southern California is my true "home" I'm leaving the orange peel on the 2k grit paper where it belongs Laughing

This is the windows module
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4N1Y2O/ref=pd_lpo_sbs...F7BY40V3E4

This is the headlight controller
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CJ24YY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs...FT0A21FEP0[/url]
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

^^^ Very cool products. Thanks for the links.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

And the wiring tasks begins.

I'm doing all signal, headlight and engine compartment connections with waterproof connectors.

All connections are crimped and soldered at both ends so with a little dielectric grease they should be good for a good long while.

motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Nice work man Cool The orange is so bright I gotta wear shades!
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

motorhead364 wrote:
Nice work man Cool The orange is so bright I gotta wear shades!

Thanks, I'm really happy with the way the paint color came out. I just hope the "recipe" for that color doesn't get lost Shocked
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

So after a little snafu with the heads lights ( http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656912 ) I'm past that part and they are finally in.

Now I'm onto the grills. I washed the plastic screens and they were in surprisingly good condition so I doubt if they were the original ones. And yes I used socket head screws on the screens Very Happy

Now I'm just waiting for the glue to cure on the rubber that goes around the grills and they are going on next.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

Congrats on the progress!
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Congrats on the progress!

Thanks Darrel
rickpereira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

looks great, i miss the days of reassembly, cant wait to see the finished product.. and that color Cool Cool Cool
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with my 71 Ghia project Reply with quote

rickpereira wrote:
looks great, i miss the days of reassembly, cant wait to see the finished product.. and that color Cool Cool Cool

HI Rick, if you where closer I'd gladly to let you relive those days Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: