Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No Lights on 69 squareback
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricsrods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: No Lights on 69 squareback Reply with quote

I just put in a new turn signal and ignition switches in a 69 Squareback and now I have no lights. Anybody have an idea what went wrong or what I did wrong
68vwfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be a bit more specific on what lights do not work. And which ones do. Turn signals? Headlights? Parking lights? Dash lights?

And do you mean you replaced the turn signal switch on the column?
ricsrods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have head lights or running lights, turn signals now work. I do have power to the light switch, I was thinking maybe it went bad. at least that's how my luck has been on this car
68vwfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I understand. I just shorted out my dash lights and burned out the dimmer part of the light switch.

If you have a volt meter I would test at the fuse box (after the switch). Test to see if you 12 volts on both sides of the fuses. I had one headlight not working and it ended up being a fuse (each headlight is on its own fuse). Looked OK but was not. Front parking lights are on one fuse and rears on another. Are both out? What about the dash lights?

You do mention you have 12 volts to the switch. If you are checking the wire going in you should be able to also check the outputs at the switch. But the fuse box works great if the switch is installed and you can't get a meter on the outputs.

Make sure you use the wiring diagrams here on the Samba so you know what to check and where.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricsrods wrote:
I don't have head lights or running lights, turn signals now work. I do have power to the light switch, I was thinking maybe it went bad. at least that's how my luck has been on this car

Check the fuses, as the ends might have some crap on them keeping power frpm flowing thru. I've run into that on several VWs over the years. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ricsrods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new light switch and lights work waiting on dimmer for lights and hopefully nothing else will go wrong. And they sure didn`t allow any extra wire or room to get your hand up in there
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: