Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

interested in buying a buggy.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harleyL7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: interested in buying a buggy. Reply with quote

Hello all,
I've been looking around the forums and I'm loving all the builds and all. I really want to buy one of these, but what do y'all think I should know before I just go out and buy one. Also, where is the best place to look?

I wish I could build my own but I do not have a garage.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should first and foremost know your situation.

1. Budget: The cheaper the buggy the more work it needs (see #2)
2. How much can you do? Can you weld? Your mechanical ability is what? Can you deal with the need for regular mechanical work? (its not a Honda)

Once those questions are answered you look on The Samba, on Craigslist, on Dunebuggyarchives and EBAY
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where will you store it if you don't have a garage?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
impaleale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you buy, don't make compromises. And thinking "yeah I can just build that" is okay. But if you say that more than 5 times you want to re-evaluate how much you really want one. Every step my buggy has fought me.
t3sters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key note I have noticed so far, you will spend more than you will make back if you sell it. (Normally)
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy one that has just been rebuilt with a new chassis or a rebuilt chassis. There are demons lurking in old used ones and if your not prepared to do the work or cannot do the work you will find the hobby totally void of fun after your first break down when the motor freezes up or you loose your tranny or When you start seeing highway through your floor pan. These are not uncommon problems and I had 2 of these 3 things happen to me in the first month. If I was not already planning on doing a rebuild I would have been very discouraged. I will have about $6000 to $6500 in my build when im done. Spend at least that or more on a project recently finished and thoroughly inspect every aspect of it and understand that these are almost exclusively GARAGE BUILT. There will be no consistency in built quality but if you take your time in buying you should be able to tell the difference between the good and the bad
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should add that ya you need one! Never had so much fun driving in my life!
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the other stuff the guys said here and would only add a few things:

You mention you dont have a garage...I would at least locate some storage before you consider buying one of these cars, they really need to be inside when not in use, AND....even recently rebuilt 40-50year old cars based on an 80 year old design need regular work to be done on them...and you will need a place to do that other than the street.

I'm assuming that you have another vehicle.....If that one isn't a vehicle that can tow, it should be. Buggies dont weigh much, so it doesnt have to be anything burly...I tow mine with my Vanagon.

Towbars for these cars are cheap ($100), and if the car is anything but a very new and high quaility build, you will need a towbar.

Take a look at this thread on another part of this website too:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=619650

If you still arent scared off, well done, you have passed the first hurdle!
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: interested in buying a buggy. Reply with quote

harleyL7 wrote:
Hello all,
I've been looking around the forums and I'm loving all the builds and all. I really want to buy one of these, but what do y'all think I should know before I just go out and buy one. Also, where is the best place to look?

I wish I could build my own but I do not have a garage.

HarleyL7 - you've seen the comments and like any other hobby there are challenges and benefits. That's usually one of the appeals of a hobby, and make no mistake, buggy ownership is a hobby.

Thesamba provides probably the best place to start looking for a buggy to purchase, but there are others. I know two people, possibly very close to you (one is in the Outer Banks of NC and the other in West Virginia), that build and sell buggies on a one-off basis. Both of these guys are currently rebuilding buggies for other people (because they are trusted and skilled - one of these buggies is mine). Have a look at these two build threads for and idea of what quality work looks like and that may help you in finding one yourself - maybe even from one of these guys. Good luck with your hunt - FYI, I'm in Wilmington, NC.

http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3371

http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365
'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
https://manxclub.com/forum/app.php/gallery/album/44
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy a used buggy, try to find one that has been stored indoors. If you have a carport, shed or can make a portable canvas garage, the buggy you buy or build will last longer and stay looking nice. I looked at some outdoor stored buggies before I found my current one, and many had rotten floor pans and probably a lot worse. I wasn't in a position time-wise to do a complete rebuild, so I really limited my search to completed rigs in good condition. I found a nice one and it still took me 6 months to get it on the road, but now I'm having a lot of fun with it, and that's the idea.
harleyL7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all the advice, I really appreciate it and hope one day I could be a part of this great community. Unfortunately, right now I do not have a garage because I live an army barracks. Maybe in a couple of years I will have one. Do you think if I buy a completed rig it could be stored outside? And how much do those normally run for? Especially to have someone build one for me.
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you cant live without one then you could get a car cover but you wont want it outside uncovered. My parents bought a cover for a mini cooper and it fits pretty good and will keep the sun and rain off your seats and floor. you will have to work on it every now and again( or every day) but I have done a valve job on mine on the side of a dirt road so if you have to then you can make it work.

the cost will vary quite a bit but my parents bought a decent and reliable one that a guy built 2 years prior for $6500 even then they had things they wish were different about it and things that weren't done very well but none the less its a ton of fun and it was in good condition. you spend much less than that your probably going to find issues.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: