Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia Plaid Material
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetlepete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Westfalia Plaid Material Reply with quote

I am getting ready to recover my westy bed and back cushion. The fabric although good is faded and as long as I am refinishing the cabinets I would like to get new fabric.
I was wondering if any one has purchased fabric and what their opinions of the quality, look, feel, and close-ness to the OG westy fabric is like.

A look around and it seems that Wolfsburg, Bus Depot, NLA Parts still sell the fabric by the yard. Although it appears that Bus Depot has stopped selling the ready made seat covers. Too bad as they were quite good.

As always thank you in advance for all your help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlepete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Go Westy does sell some but I have the Brown plaid
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.busdepot.com/fabric4

Take your cushions to a local upholstry person and ask them how many yards you need to buy for them to do the work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlepete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then you like the quality.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot tell it from the factory brown camping cloth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlepete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info. I am finding that all these suppliers get a lot of parts from the same company(s). Then sell them as there own.

Best
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green plaid westy fabric I got from bus depot looks identical, and appears to be very high quality. Has a better backing than the stock fabric as well. I haven't used it yet though.
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had Sewfine make me up two front seat bottoms from the plaid material that I bought from BD. They turned out great.
LouFilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my green Westy plaid from Wolfsburg west, and it looks great. BD told me they'd have it next week. The fabric matches perfectly. Like someone said, the backing is actually slightly nicer than stock.

Slightly on a tangent. If a person is doing the front seats, the seat covers from BD aren't made from this material and the green vinyl is off in my opinion. I think you'd be happier making them or having them made using this material and a green vinyl (or Ultaleather) that you could use for door panels so it all matches.
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some seat fabric from BusDepot.com and it was very nice. Thick and durable fabric, and the backing was like a silicone.

Online the fabric looked identical but I got my bus with grey upholstery so I couldn't compare very well lol
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West told me they get their plaid from the same European supplier as Bus Depot and then each company puts their own backing on it.

I bought the plaid and had Sewfine make seat covers with it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do still sell the complete seat upholstery sets, ready-to-install, as well as the fabric by the yard. Here's the link to the seat covers...

http://www.busdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=pl...sort_order

Here's what it looks like in green plaid (but we sell yellow, orange, and brown versions as well)...

Last edited by Busdepot on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlepete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
Wolfsburg West told me they get their plaid from the same European supplier as Bus Depot and then each company puts their own backing on it.

I bought the plaid and had Sewfine make seat covers with it.

Really Nice. I think I will do the same as the vinyl side need to match as close as possible. IYDM, how much did the covers from sew fine set you back?
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlepete wrote:
Really Nice. I think I will do the same as the vinyl side need to match as close as possible. IYDM, how much did the covers from sew fine set you back?

$380. That's with me supplying the plaid, they supplied the vinyl and made the piping to match. Keep in mind these are for my early bay, so they're "custom"
beetlepete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems reasonable. Were you happy with the fit and finish. Did the vinyl match the original? Mine will be for a 79 westfalia, so late bay, would that still be considered custom?

Sorry for the questions, but would like this to last another 37 years.
best
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlepete wrote:
That seems reasonable. Were you happy with the fit and finish. Did the vinyl match the original? Mine will be for a 79 westfalia, so late bay, would that still be considered custom?

Sorry for the questions, but would like this to last another 37 years.
best

Very happy with the quality. I'm not sure on comparing the vinyl. I just wanted a green vinyl that complemented the plaid.

Call sewfine, they're very helpful and will send you samples if you aren't sure.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:

It would be interesting to see/hear what the different backings are and the quality of each.

Seems that could dramatically affect how well the material lasts.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
strfish7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
We do still sell the complete seat upholstery sets, ready-to-install, as well as the fabric by the yard. Here's the link to the seat covers...

http://www.busdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=PLAID+SEAT+UPHOLSTERY

Here's what it looks like in green plaid (but we sell yellow, orange, and brown versions as well)...

Your link doesn't work for me, just fyi.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, try it now...
http://www.busdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=pl...sort_order
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LouFilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors not as bright

Patterns slightly off

Thought I'd throw in some pics. Top pic-seats- The pattern and coloring on the BD seats (esp the vinyl) are off, but they look great. As you can see, the patterns are aligned (top cushion to bottom cushion) and the look is better than factory, great sewing on crummy Fabric. The seat covers are backed with light foam. The plaid material on the BDC covers is slightly lighter and less saturated them the material from my top matress covers.

The next two pics are the WW fabric on top and my factory mattress covers on the bottom in both pictures. As you can see the patterns don't match, and the color on the Wolfsburg West (WW) is also less saturated, but now is slightly darker. The WW fabric is backed much like the factory product but with darker rubberized goo on the back.

What surprised me is that none of the patterns or colors matched. So if i want it all to match i will have to order all my fabric from one place and all my vinyl from one place and have it custom stitched (and make door panels).

One thing I want to be clear on is that even though the BD covers don't match (and the vinyl is more of what my amateur eye sees as furniture grade, not automotive grade), I would certainly recommend them to buy. They really made the front of my bus look much better. Unfortunately, they are only going to be a temporary solution until I redo the rest of the interior and get back to the seat covers, since they don't match anything else (I did find a exact match to the vinyl at my local fabric store, from England, pricey almost like utraleather and not the quality of ultraleather).

My current solution is that I'm picking up upper mattress covers whenever I see them and I will use those to make my seats, front buckets and rear seats, once I get them all gathered and use theWW fabric for some little sides like bonus seat pads, my fabricated stool, covering my upper bunk shelf, etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: