Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspacher Gas Heater - asbestos like packing washer ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Eberspacher Gas Heater - asbestos like packing washer ? Reply with quote

I'm playing with my eberspacher BN2 lately - 'trippy little thing. I took it out of my car to do fuel tank repair and in doing so put a little tear in an asbestos type washer that fits between the heater's exhaust outlet and the tin covered exhaust pipe that ultimately exits through the wheel well.

This asbestos like packing washer is under the hose clamp 'like' clamp directly under the heater. This area connects the heater to the exhaust pipe.

Anyone have an idea where I can either find a new one ( doubtful ) or use something that can effectively be substituted ?

Thanks. BTW - mine is still operable but… just.
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the beetle tailpipe gasket. I seem to remember sizing them up and they were the same size.

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher Gas Heater - asbestos like packing washer ? Reply with quote

abl1111 wrote:
..... a little tear in an asbestos type washer ..........

Glue it together with hi-temp silicone RTV and install it before it cures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with most obscure parts, this has been a challenge. The standard and super VW tailpipe 'donut' gaskets are either too small or too large for the eberspacher application. But, those are the closest things to what I need.

Gluing it with RTV 'just ain't right' and it would look like 'sheet'. This is all OEM and I'm trying to keep it as close to that as possible.

The eberspacher exhaust pipes that join via this gasket and a clamp have these specs:

Larger diameter pipe has an outside diameter of 1.67" and the pipe it fits over has an OD of 1.57". The smaller pipe has a flange or lip and it all attaches exactly like the super beetle tailpipe - the donut gasket holds tightly onto the pipe without flange - pipes are joined and held in place via a clamp that sandwiches the flange and the gasket to hold the two pipes together.

I need to either find this donut gasket or make one. I have searched for it online an cannot find it.

Any ideas ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: