Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vinyl wrap removal
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Vinyl wrap removal Reply with quote

I have the chance to make some cash on a promotion with my 70 bay bus. They want to pay to vinyl wrap it and them remove, but I am not sure I am cool with it. Any suggestions from the body/paint world?
It has been resprayed before I got it. its in pretty good shape but has a few rough spots.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291988&highlight=

"Still learnin the way around my VW bay"
Teal Bay Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuart Maingot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company I work for actually wraps commericial vehicles. The techs I spoke with advise that it depends on the type of adhesive on the vinyl. The cheaper types don't adhere for as long but when applying try to avoid excessive heat with the heat gun and use the heat gun when stripping the vinyl off to soften the adhesive and also use isopropyl alcohol as you begin to peel it away to help soften the adhesive and have the wrap removed without residual adhesive adhering to the paintwork. Hope this helps. Good luck.
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Maingot wrote:
The company I work for actually wraps commericial vehicles. The techs I spoke with advise that it depends on the type of adhesive on the vinyl. The cheaper types don't adhere for as long but when applying try to avoid excessive heat with the heat gun and use the heat gun when stripping the vinyl off to soften the adhesive and also use isopropyl alcohol as you begin to peel it away to help soften the adhesive and have the wrap removed without residual adhesive adhering to the paintwork. Hope this helps. Good luck.

They are having the same people do the install and removal, I am supposed to meet with owner today to discuss.

Teal Bay Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Maingot wrote:

This is a spot on reply. I work within this industry as well.
There are also some good low key vinyl remover chemicals used within the industry.

The cheaper vinyls as mentioned....do not adhere as well....take more work and heat to adhere properly.....and are likely to put the paint at the most risk for scratches from bubble popping needles, rivet brushes and carelessly used trimming knives.

But...almost all wrap vinyls, while being worlds apart better, than they were 10 years ago.....will have difficulties on removal if left on for too long.

If you have really nice high gloss paint.....the vinyl will remove easier....but I would not allow wrapping on a classic vehicle that I had high dollar, really nice paint on. The risk forcacrtachjng even with the most skilled installers.....is always there.

If you have older faded but complete paint....the vinyl will be much harder to remove.....socbe careful on the timeline of how long it is installed.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my take on it....

I agree with everything posted, but, it's a vw. you know whoever resprayed it used the cheapest shit possible.

I would be willing to bet that paint will come off in sheets when they remove the wrap

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that the install/removal guys know that you want your vehicle back like it was before the wrap & they will be responsible for repairs.
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that replied.
The deal is done. Wrapped for 2 weeks and removed. THey used high quality 3M vinyl with tiny groves designed in the sticky part for easy removal.

It peeled right off.....And my resprayed paint was fine.

Teal Bay Bus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: