Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mojave desert Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a1fa wrote:
$500 ?

For both the van and the other engine?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be my offer & tell him it looks like a flood car; see what he says; flashing cash can help
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though the ultimate "value" of the Van will not be huge, getting a rust free body is a HUGE plus!

Of course you need to do body repair and a massive amount of work so baLance rust free with that.

$500 sounds completely insulting to the seller.

I'm on the East Coast, values are different here and rust free units are treasured.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was entertaining 4 to $600.00, if your in desperatley in need of a long term, bottomless pit, Air Cooled project.

The dust is all free.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

800. sounds scary enough.
These things are so tempting.
The replies here are varied but point out the usual issues; all perfect and good.
The bus is super dry and of course will need every piece of rubber replaced inside and out, under and over. All hydraulics and any seals will need love. Wiring too. The seats, foam inside, wall coverings, pop top fabric and draperies will call for a medic. The bodywork is obviously up for plastic surgery. Then there is the matter of an engine and gearbox that will require full biopsies before deciding to resuscitate or not.
Aside from the powertrain, plan on putting 8k into what it will require just to be drivable. Some may say that is low, but I assume you are doing the work. The engine and gearbox is a whole different wallet lobotomy.
Depends how bad you itch for the restoration virus.
Not too many years-decades back I brought home a bus that needed more than my human will could give. I sold it to a man who would pay anything (700.) to have it in his driveway. He hauled it away and I was cured.
Oh and if you think me a sage of wisdom, consider that the current wallet eater (the Escorial green one) was also from less than honorable stock. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=430662
My good Sambaista, if you are married please ask before doing the deed.
Keep us posted!
Cheers,
Jeffery
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave brings up a great point about value. Out here, we are pretty spoiled for having little rust to contend with. So much so, that there are bands of West Europeans that travel through these areas and have been scooping earlier Baywindow bus parts, whole busses and bugs and shipping them back over the pond. Dunno about Vanagons, splitties are pretty much all gone from the junkyards. Regardless, value of something changes on the outlook about what is more rare for a region.

For me, I seek out the unmoletesed, the most complete, and hopefully the lowest mileage. I am such a spoiled California pussy, I won't even consider something with large rocker panel rust.

Sad as it might seem, ( and it is difficult to see in my pics) but that spare motor is very nearly complete, with all the exhaust and engine management controls for California emissions. That it turns over by hand and developes decent compression with bled down lifters puts that engine value at at least $300, really more if you nickel and dimed the NLA and other useable parts. I'm not saying to bolt it up and get on the freeway, but $500 for both would likely see me being told to pack sand.

At this point, I need to consider just what exactly I want. Basically, to step away from car camping and get into something real. I bought the Country Homes camper for a place to slum at my away from home terminal, but found that is sort of not part of my future anymore. I then discovered the Westfalia design to be far superior.

No need to have a showroom ready full on restoration. Just clean and decent, and reliable enough for 10,000 miles a year on the highest usage. I have other junk to play with as well, see my tag line.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell.
As your into junkyard dreams dancing in your head, are game, and can't possibly live without Mr.Sandman, drop the Desert Fox 5 Grand for the refugee from the crusher.
I'm sure he'll shake your hand, thank you right kindly for helping him move out of Death Valley.

He'll be laughing all the way to the bank with your MFMO donation.
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold last year a '81 Deluxe Westfalia. I had it for 13 years. It sat for twelve of those years. Had 113 k on the engine. I drove it, and then just parked it. I wanted to make an offroader out of it. I cleaned it up and sold it on the samba. It is now in Europe. I just heard from the buyer. He got it running and had a smile on his face, without too much effort.
The air cooled Vanagon Westfalia is appreciating like every other type 2. I have had three over the years, and have fond memories. I want to have one again. No pun intended!
This one you are looking at. Does the seller know anything about the van? Like, yeah it ran x years ago or anything. If not, he is not in a strong position as a seller. It looks fairly unmolested. The passenger side needs body work, as well as a lot of clean up. How is the electrical? Rodents like to chew. Since its in its worst possible condition (dirty, not running, etc.) you are in a strong position. Obviously it needs a lot of work. $1000. seems like a reasonable number give or take $200. What is it worth to you? Don't let your excitement get the best of you. It's easier to imagine it all bitchen, than actually making it that way, of course. It won't depreciate after you fix it. They didn't make air cooleds forever for nothing! Just buy the effer! Not really. But figure the worst case scenario as far as your expenses, etc., go. And don't forget to breathe! lol
Good luck with it man!
Peace
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot, I'd get it just for the VINTAGE cup holder...center seat tracks and custom interior lighting are a bonus. My 1980 Westy sat for 17 years, BUT IT WAS ALL STILL THERE and the upolstry was in one piece..still,.everything had to come out or off..but, 4 years and $16K( ok it's more but I can't bring myself to admit it ) later she's a looker and a runner. I didn't see the flooding, just desert dust. Check out my pics..I hope you can rescue it...all the best, John inGA
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another valuation method is to take the parts value - transport cost - to get the total

if you overpay ($1,000) then you wasted $500 if it is worth $500... how much is the value of $500 to you?
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure we all like good deals. When you look at the big picture( of making this van a decent runner) you will spend how many thousands of dollars. The $300-500 differance in the entry price number gets smaller. Hell that's just one after market bumper. Razz Wink

But I would have to ask the guys offering $500, If you were the seller would you take $500? I guess as I have gotten older I always look at it from both sides.But if the seller starts at $?00 then that is your starting point.

As Dave points out this van does have some value. I tried to point this out if this vans was completely dust free.
If Wasted youth is the only player then for sure less than 1K for sure. Two buyers $1000-1200. three buyers $1200-1600.
I really do not check the non runner camper Vanagon prices. But It does seem like it's hard to find a camper "runner" in the 3K range. Seem to be in the 4-5000 range now a days.
Don't take this that I would just piss away $500. Just saying to look at the big picture.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
What the hell.
As your into junkyard dreams dancing in your head, are game, and can't possibly live without Mr.Sandman, drop the Desert Fox 5 Grand for the refugee from the crusher.
I'm sure he'll shake your hand, thank you right kindly for helping him move out of Death Valley.

He'll be laughing all the way to the bank with your MFMO donation.

Laughing

Don't let my avatar fool you. I'm not some 17 year old dope smoking prick. That was...like almost 30 years ago! Laughing Anyway, no stars in my eyes. Suffice it to say the Internet shrinks the world, even an old desert rat can quickly search out on his cell phone what some junkyard hunk should sell for while he's standing there peeing on a tree.

I don't have grand dreams of winning trophies or driving some Vanagon... any Vanagon... across the frozen Bearing Straight on a world tour. But here's the catch: I already have one. Same year, but with a crappy, incomplete interior shitty paint and needing some bodywork like this one ( see my gallery), and an engine needing machine work.

I'd rather keep what I own and do it up right, but to "me" that means finding a nice Westy interior. Which happens to be up near Sacramento for $1,200 (Samba classifieds) and that means taking a trailer to hauling it, miles, etc. Then there's the installation. For that amount of time and trailer rental expenses, I might as well drive out to the desert and bring back the whole damned thing instead.

Anyway Rolling Eyes .... This interior is a lot nicer than the pictures justify. The cushions are still firm, the stove isn't all scorched, most of the original curtains are there, etc. I know it looks like hell in the pics, but all the hinges are tight, the bed folds out smartly, etc. This tells me low useage. Long story short, if the price is right, this would be a nice step up from the Vanagon I already have.

Speaking of cost... And the air cooled Type 4 motor. Yep. Money pit. Very little support for the 2.0 air cooled engine. I'm prepared for that. And yeah, this sucker needs work, man! Shocked
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow is confirmed for a whole day at Desert Rat's place. Only my time and his allowance for some wrenching, and we'll see if it drives. He said it was driven in and should run. No pressure or BS about how he's got someone else interested.
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you have to take advise with a grain of salt. Especially with people that you don't even know. This forum is awesome. For one, you have thirty some responses to your
inquiry, granted some of them are yours. Bottom line, Westfalias are a good investment. Besides that, they are pretty versatile vehicles! My opinion, and that's what you are getting, opinions, based on the pictures, etc. You might have yourself a a good rig before you, especially if you can remedy the ails yourself. I think the Westfalia is the superior camper outfitter. They started in the 1800's. That spare engine is worth something. One last thought, if you establish a price point to start with, so if you get it running, etc., the price doesn't start to go up, because at that point whoever is selling the Camper just realized what he has is now worth more. Sounds like a fun adventure. Safe travels, and best of everything on this to you. You may have to do a build post! Cool

Peace out, man.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Oh, it's all good. No worries! I asked for opinions, and I got them, true. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Laughing I definitely like the Westfalia design over the Country Homes style.

Years ago (1992) I was in Singapore and was in a clothing store, and I saw neatly folded Levi's 501 blue jeans. I pulled them off the shelf and was immediately assisted by a clerk who seemed agitated that I was handling them. Apparently I broke some protocol, as this was a high end shoppe. Price on the blue jeans? $110.00 equivalent US dollars. No way would I ever pay that. Funny what some people will pay for things! Very Happy

No real point to that story... Rolling Eyes
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what everyone is speaking to is just how much it is going to cost to make it a 10,000 mile a year vehicle. Type 4 engines are expensive, and quality parts are hard to find in some cases. Also, the air cooled Westfalia is the slowest of all the Vanagons, which may not seem so bad until you are in the slow lane of the 99 desperatly trying to buck a headwind at 60-65 mph when ALL the traffic, even the cheap Korean econoboxes, are doing 75-80! and then you are faced with the grapevine! Old VW vans are great fun, but I am guessing from these posts that money doesn't grow on trees in your household. It will cost a lot to resurrect that old beast and make it a decent reliable driver. The going in price could be doubled easily by tires and brakes, and even if it runs good, it most likely needs some engine refreshing to be reliable. Good heads can cost $1000 plus for the pair, and that is without all the other stuff you will need. And to do a good rebuild will be 2500-3000 in parts alone, and it will still be slow and relatively undesirable compared to the water cooled ones.
All that being said, do you know what the owner wants from it? $500-600 is what it should be worth, given all that it needs, but I would guess that in reality, $1000 plus is what you will have to pay. I hope not $1500-2000. If the asking price is above that, you really have to decide if it will be worth it to you. You will have many multiples of whatever your going in price invested in the van before you are assured of reliability.
So, have fun, and if you decide to go for it, remember, you are among equally optimistic deranged people on this site. We all look at these things with rose colored glasses. Just try not to let your heart overwhelm your wallet, because these things can unbelievably overwhelm your wallet.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My aircooled van is not slow by any means, but it's also not fast. It does not have abundant power, but it has just bare minimum to get it to move.

I look at that $500 van, and I am reminded of how much things cost to fix, even doing them yourself. The van may clean-up nice, but then what?

All new seals, everywhere.. $$
New Tires.. $$
Suspension, bushings $$$
Motor work $$
Getting L-Jet to work right $
Upgrades $$$$
Body Repairs $$

All of a sudden this van is costing you $10-15k, when all you could get out of it is $5k. Value is determined by what someone is willing to pay. We all can ask $10000 on our air cooled Vanagons, but if there isn't a sucker willing to pay $10000, then you are just going to sit on it, until that sucker shows up.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/4851668192.html
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/atq/4857639278.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4902112566.html

It's a project van or a parts van. No body is going to buy the motor by itself. There are millions of them out there. Re-builders only charge $250 core free for your old one..

Somebody asked me if I was the seller would I have sold it at $500. Depends how bad I need it gone. If I don't need it gone, I'd price it $10k. You never know, some sucker would want it that bad...
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe, hands down, that the factory naturally aspirated diesel Westfalia 1600, is by far, the slowest Vanagon on the planet. Just my own personal experience. Great mileage though!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's nice to know.

I don't think I've ever heard this ever mentioned here before.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is $500.00 what he is paying you to take it away ? Around here you can buy running A/C vans for under $2500.00.
That van needs 3k before your wife will ride in it. I would take it as a gift if the title was clean.
Just following the Bay window market and seeing the craziness there ,I guess that that the A/C vans are next,but that one needs way to much work.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: