Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:

Wow, something modern in this size in 4WD would be extremely tempting. Why did they only have 2 model years? Too small? Were they sold in the US?

4WD T1N sprinters were never sold in north america. (they were sold in the rest of the world). There are a few companies that offer 4WD conversions using USA sourced parts. There are a few folks who have successfully imported the 4WD running gear from the UK for T1N vans.

The sprinter shown is a 118" wheelbase with the standard ceiling. The other option is the HC ( high ceiling). Low roofs were special order, I don't think I have ever seen one myself. This is the smallest sprinter sold in the US. The new sprinters (NCV3) Are only available in 144" and 170" wheelbase. As of 2015 they were available with 4WD/AWD. The NCV3 is slightly larger than the T1N.

118" wheelbase vans were only offered for a few years (02-03?) in limited numbers in both standard and high ceilings.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Wow, something modern in this size in 4WD would be extremely tempting. Why did they only have 2 model years? Too small? Were they sold in the US?

If it were available, and fit in my garage (probably wouldn't) I would trade my Westy for it in a heartbeat.

My wife would kill me though.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
tarandusVDub wrote:

If it were available, and fit in my garage (probably wouldn't) I would trade my Westy for it in a heartbeat.

Very Happy Shame on you Applause

Hate to say it but mine might like it!
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
svenakela wrote:
MB TN1!!!

What 4x4 drivetrain are you running under there?

The OM602 is my absolute favorite IDI engine. They can be tweaked to produce ungodly amounts of torque, and still hold together with the stock short block and slight port work in the heads. I wish they were as efficient as the later DI engines, 'cause the simplicity and reliability of mechanical injection is appealing relative to drive by wire.

I think IGLHAUT made all the 4WD transmissions. The 2WD is Daimler Benz.
IGLHAUT is owned by Mercedes anyway...

The Allrads are ridiculous heavy duty. The VW LT 4WD's are known to have week axles (too small and too few cogs in the diff's, they wear hard) and need regular service. The MB monsters just runs forever.

Link

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:

Here is a 118 wheelbase T1N with a lift and big tires. ~6-10" wider, and 3' taller than a westy?

According to google the width difference is 5.4".

My sprinter is 8'6" to the top of the rear brake light, my westy was over 6' tall, and it was lowered so the height difference is right around 2'.

MidwestDrifter wrote:
I think the T1N sprinters are a good mix of newer tech/features, and a simpler layout.

Yep!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:

A friend of mine in in Illinois had one, and I saw one for sale in Wyoming ~7 years ago, those were the only 2 I've ever seen, I did test drive the one in Wyoming, that's how I know they haul ass Smile

Samba ad here.

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:

118" wheelbase vans were only offered for a few years (02-03?) in limited numbers in both standard and high ceilings.

My buddy that owned a 118" said they stopped making them (importing them?) before 2006, I don't know why they stopped making them though....

Samba ad here.

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

Svenakela,

Wow, love that red TN1 and your description of its serviceability is remarkable. Every year I continue to move my preference in vehicles towards those that can be worked on wit ease.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

Why, I'd buy an 80 series LandCruiser as well! Or a Mitsubishi Van, perhaps!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

Baywindow bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

A cabin on a lake.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
A cabin on a lake.

they don't drive very well
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
photogdave wrote:
A cabin on a lake.

they don't drive very well

But get better mileage!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

One of these:

Land Rover Defender

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and one of these:

Fleetwood E1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I figure the Land Rover would be at least as reliable as the Vanagon and probably just as fast.

Mark
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

Mine is the same height as my Syncro 16" highroof, so no big deal. My current shop has 12' doors.
No wife = more toys whenever I want. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

svenakela wrote:

I think IGLHAUT made all the 4WD transmissions. The 2WD is Daimler Benz.
IGLHAUT is owned by Mercedes anyway...

Iglhaut, Oberaigner, Mantra, Achleitner...I believe all are independent companies? Some use a transfer case as part of the trans, some are 'divorced' transfer case like mine. My parts came from a dually ambulance, single speed transfer with center and rear locks. The transfer is being swapped out for a Jeep unit for fulltime 4WD locked or unlocked. Kinda like a bigger Syncro. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Mazda MPV yet...
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGY_oWK9e4E

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWmRWQ9yM88
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

I'd put a subaru in it with a propex and a hightop. Heck maybe even a 1.8T with a decoupler to get better fuel economy on those weekend trips to the KOA.

Link
[/url]
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Reply with quote

New options in Japan. Pop tops galore

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/japanese-camper-car-show-highlights/
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: