Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thoughts on living in your VW bus & home defense.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on living in your VW bus & home defense. Reply with quote

LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
More times than I'd like to count, I've woken up in less than ideal places after driving through most of the night until I couldn't any longer. Sometimes it's really difficult finding safe spots while you're on the road, which leads me to this topic, what are your thoughts on home defense while you're staying in your bus? Fortunately, I've never been the victim of a break in, but I have had some snoopers which were quickly detoured by my ferocious(sounding) pit bull.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[Admin note: non-VW pictures are deleted from the Gallery]

I lived in mine for one summer only, so I'm no expert. If you are doing this for 2 years, I'm sure there are times when the planning fails....but...

The fear of Ted Bundy types is an irrational one measured against the risk. Violent crime is way down from its peak ( and in Canada, the Leafs are the most violent thing in that country) but the imagery of sensationalist news and TV shows makes us believe otherwise.

Unless you are Actively training in close quarters combat leave the weapons at home.

Don't bring handguns into Canada. Period.

If planning leaves you in an unknown place, key in ignition or known place on person, ready to bug out.

And I do wish to thank the Samba members for keeping this a useful discussion and respecting each other's views, while the mods clean their weapons.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
Keep in mind, I typically travel by myself with my dog. Planning is much easier accomplished with a co-pilot whose job is to do nothing other than navigate and plan.

That is a really smart dog!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get back on? (Thoughts on living in your VW bus & home defense.)

Thanks
Tcash
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One simple thing is well fitting curtains. If it looks like someone is "living" in a bus it might deter some would be thieves. Or, maybe even a small nightlight? That is when not trying to camp in stealth of course.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Canadian, this thread seems a little comical. When we had a shooting at parliment last year, many of us got a good laugh comparing Canadian vs American new coverage (sorry). You guys need to relax and leave the guns at home.

On the odd chance someone is willing to hurt you to steal your property, you're no safer in your home than a vehicle. In fact, the guy living in a bus probably has a lot less to steal and is a much less profitable target. The average person who breaks into a vehicle is probably just a junkie or a teenager, the second they realize someone is living in there they'll take off.

So the best defense living in a bus, is probably just being in your bus. IMO pulling out a gun is just going to escalate things in a way you don't want. If you're really worried, install a basic car alarm, that'll scare most people off and wake you up before anything "could" happen.

On the pepper spray suggestions, don't get the pressurized kind. You'll just gas yourself out the bus with the over spray. My dad did this to my mom at their house last year emptying out an expired can of bear spray outside. She was not pleased. Laughing
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
One simple thing is well fitting curtains. If it looks like someone is "living" in a bus it might deter some would be thieves. Or, maybe even a small nightlight? That is when not trying to camp in stealth of course.

I've only encountered would be thieves while I was stealth camping in cities. In the sticks, 0 issues.
Light is your worst enemy while stealth camping in cities. I'd much rather face thieves than trigger happy road pirates in costume who believe they have more rights than you.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the latest sum up is thus

:

Guns
dogs
sprays
edged weapons
escape
one guys driveway
care and judgement in general
Key in ignition
Car Alarm
Curtains
Canada
Map of Tasmania
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
And the latest sum up is thus

:

Guns
dogs
sprays
edged weapons
escape
one guys driveway
care and judgement in general
Key in ignition
Car Alarm
Curtains
Canada
Map of Tasmania

Umm...you forgot nightlight.

Razz

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnydog wrote:
"A well-regulated Baywindow Forum, being necessary to the security of Baywindow owners, the right of the Samba members to discuss their beliefs over security relevant to any style of camper, shall be consigned to the OFF-TOPIC forum."

Please can this ridiculuous thread be relocated already? There is no baywindow here.

True dat! Looks like "they" will allow you to have a ridiculous off topic thread like this in the Bay window forum. But if you mention a Dakota Digital CHT gauge your thread will be locked.

Maybe livin in a bus isn't for you if you have to carry a gun. Carrying a gun is just asking my for trouble. you have a pitbull, man up and take care of yourself or get an apartment. I'm a 150lbs dude and I take care of my self the old fashion way, with my fists. Guns make men out of pu$$ys who would other wise have nothing to say.

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrasher22, I've spent a lot of time in Canada, in fact I flew to Ottawa to buy my bus and had an excellent vacation driving around the country. Stating this as a full blooded American, I LOVE CANADA.
I do love my country, but I fear my government. And though I don't live there, I have zero bad things to say about Canada, it's population or it's government.
I'm glad you've touched on the topic of media, living in Canada and chances of theft. The time I've spent in Canada, I've feared the wildlife more than the people. It is much different as soon as you cross the border, the US is nearly a militarized police state at this time and I believe the media plays an important role in that. In the states, we are literally taught to fear your neighbor and even snitch on them to the authorities if you see "something suspicious". I don't know anyone that leaves their doors unlocked in the states and in Canada, it's nearly abnormal to lock your doors. Our media feeds us fear, death and biased bullsh*t. Your media for the most part does not. What happens when an entire population has this garbage bashed into their minds 24/7? People unconsciously become a reflection of what they see. Add that to our government's military spending budget of $534.3 billion as opposed to the $212 billion we spend on welfare assistance, and you produce trigger happy and violent poor people. In my mind, this might make your ideas non-applicable for living in the US.
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Maybe livin in a bus isn't for you if you have to carry a gun. Carrying a gun is just asking my for trouble. you have a pitbull, man up and take care of yourself or get an apartment. I'm a 150lbs dude and I take care of my self the old fashion way, with my fists. Guns make men out of pu$$ys who would other wise have nothing to say.

Rich P.

Sorry Rich, that "man up" BS isn't welcomed. Also, I don't fight, I defend myself only when necessary. I don't believe your fists of fury would fair against an attacker standing ten feet away emptying a magazine in your direction under the impression every VW bus is worth $217,000 at auction.

Watch this.
http://youtu.be/QFoBaTkPgco

Also, my pit bull is a p*ssy. This wouldn't detour many.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by LivinInnaVWBus on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least in Massachusetts, having the key in the ignition will earn you a DUI (obviously only if you've been drinking)if the cops question you, even if you were passed out in a sleeping bag in the back. Not sure what other states are like, but I've always been told to leave the key out of the ignition if you are sleeping in your car.

Just another thing to consider...

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivinInnaVWBus
Well said!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it boys. As much as we'd like to think that this is a civilized nation, it's actually still the wild west. The strong are still taking from the weak. If you think dialing 911 is going to bring someone to save your butt you're wrong. They'll get there much too late to help. No boys, it's you that must take responsibility for your own safety and security. How you do that is up to you. Funny how most people who hate guns have never even been around them much less fired one. Now I'm not saying that all you bus owners need to have firearms aboard. It's a personal choice that you need to make based upon your capability to handle a gun as well as the risks vrs. benefits from packing one.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
At least in Massachusetts, having the key in the ignition will earn you a DUI (obviously only if you've been drinking)if the cops question you, even if you were passed out in a sleeping bag in the back. Not sure what other states are like, but I've always been told to leave the key out of the ignition if you are sleeping in your car.

Just another thing to consider...

If someone is intent on stealing the bus and opens by putting a crowbar through the drivers window, the key in the ignition is just a convenience. In addition, if it's seen from the outside it's an invitation.

You can't plan a defense unless you know something about who the offense is nd what they have in mind.

The drunk looking for a place to crash or the hooker looking for a studio will be stopped by a locked door. Not hard to void. If all the houses in the neighborhood have bars on the windows and security doors, keep driving.

The carjacker is likely to be armed and may not hesitate to kill you to get the vehicle. Found where cars are found, nice cars, and where there is little supervision. Gas stations have CCTV. Parking in back of restaurant and you are nicely hidden for their purpose.

The drunk teenager may be armed, out here they often are and with lever action rifles. They shoot up road signs. They may hassle you for the sport but really aren't in for a big confrontation or looking to shoot anybody. But if they brandish a firearm in your direction they get shot and the Lord sorts it out. There is such a thing as being terminally stupid. This is a more rural breed and can be found on roads around small towns. travel in packs showing off for each other.

The bear wants food. Very sensitive sense of smell and ammonia will indeed keep them at bay. I used ammonia on my garbage last night. meat scraps in the can and we have coyotes and a fox that will scatter garbage. Not the household stuff, janitorial strength. Don't get downwind, it's powerful. Like to hang out where people and munchies are plentiful.

The snatch 'n' run thief wants an easy score, like your tasty electronics you can't live without. They don't want a confrontation and are typically not armed to avoid heavy jail time. Look for them in gas stations, grocery store parking lots, etc. Anywhere women with purses get out of cars or load groceries in.

The psychopathic murder/rapist is typically not armed. These guys are poor, any guns they had were long sold to score some drugs. They stab and strangle their victims. Very dangerous. They don't give a shit abut you or themselves. Their presentation will be irrational---they don't want to steal so much---- they just want to grab you and drag you off, or kill you in the bus and drive it until the gas runs out. Might want the bus to lure other victims. Rare type but these will kill you. Count on them having a knife and flashing it. Shoot first, ask questions later---unless you aren't armed and then your fists will be slashed to ribbons and your throat cut. These can be anyplace, anytime--rest areas, gas stations, back country trails, etc.

The crack heads will steal your battery with bolt cutters if they can figure out where it is. But they don't want a confrontation. No crack in jail and they have withdrawal problems. however, like the other "street" types, they will but up an aggressive bluff. Calling it with a firearm can cause you big headaches. That's what the axe is for. "You wanna piece of this muthaf$*%?" They don't. Leave them an out and they'll take it. Pretty easy to avoid in the first place.

Two little old ladies in a Mercedes sedan that pass you on the left, totally empty road, then try to return to the right lane just as they draw even, forcing you off the road? RPGs and big gunports in the side. They'll blame the remains on terrorists.
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PITApan: A lot of potential truth in there, but you've also got quite an imagination my friend.

aeromech: YES. Exactly.
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
A lot of potential truth in there, but you've also got quite an imagination my friend.

Not really. Those little old ladies is a true story.

I've lived and worked kinda close to the street, and lived in some really bad neighborhoods (not for long TG). Less imagineering than appears. I know the street scene. A lot of the nasty people aren't interested in you, they are into assaulting and killing each other.

There are deer crossing signs on the back roads out here---all riddled with bullet holes. Who's doing that? The kids with the pickup trucks with the 30-30's in the rifle rack, that's who.

There are people I didn't mention because they aren't a real hazard. I had a guy wander into my house once. Totally out of it. Locked him in the bathroom and called the cops. They haul him off, said they guessed he got dosed with something. I know plenty about severely mentally ill street people. They might try to get into a bus to get out of the weather and crash, but are scared of people in general and have a hard time keeping their thoughts organized much less anything else. Not really a criminal element.

I had my truck hit twice, once in SF once in Oakland. The Oakland burglary some guy stole my complete oil soaked work boots and left me a horseshoe. In SF some guy was breaking into cars and piling stuff on the sidewalk. I caught him at it, called the cops, he seemed pretty out of it. I got most of my stuff back. Neither time was I in the vehicle and neither time did I get the feeling the perp wanted to deal with anybody. That one guy needed boots and I felt bad they were so toxic.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: