Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

another damn 1st timer!
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drudru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: another damn 1st timer! Reply with quote

hello, I just picked up my 1st project car and my 1st vw. I come from a motorcycle background and have fair grasp of wrenching. I have wanted a baja since i saw a flaked out purple one at virginia beach back in the early 80's. I picked up a 73 standard with a great body, brand new front end, kybs and few other bits. The wiring is, of course, hacked to shit. The rear pans have been patched (also a bad job). I hope that my 2 sons and I can work on her together and that my ducati doesnt collect too much dust.
here is my question. I wanted to get a repro wiring loom and start fresh. the serial number on the crank case says it is a 1500cc. There was also a reciept for eagle cams in the glove box as of right now the car does not run. Do i beed to buy a harness for the my year or for the year of the motor? In the mean i will keep on reading and get some pics put up.
andrew
sloboatnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things that determine wire harnesses are whether you have a generator or alternator, and stuff like the ignition switch and wipers switch as these do vary. Must of us use a generic harness and make it work, or just buy a bunch of wire and make our own harness. Theres not to much to it since we dont have sensors and computers. Without knowing what all your car has, and what your ability level is, I couldn't make a recommendation on what to buy.

As for the motor, if it has an eagle cam, it's been rebuilt. The number on your crankcase no longer tells you much. Eagle is a performance aftermarket cam. You may have other goodies in there too. Only way to know is to pull a head and measure. Theres lots of good engine info in the performance forum when you get ready for it.

Welcome to the samba.

3BT Baja build page
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417564&highlight=3bt+baja
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the serial number on the block says it's a 1500, it is NOT the original case. But then...how many cars of any model or brand have their original block 42 years later? "Matching Numbers" makes a 40 year old Chevy a lot more valuable. So you will need to buy parts as you go along based on which individual pieces make up the engine that you have. At least as many engines have had their heads and even more the cylinders and pistons, than blocks changed in cars.

So don't assume it's still a 1500. Odds are that it's at least a 1600, as that change costs no more $$ at time of a rebuild than rebuilding it as a 1500. The 1600 cylinders slip right in where the 1500 cylinders came out with no machine work or other changes at all. Free horsepower!

It MAY be larger displacement, but you won't know that until you take it all apart and measure the cylinders and the crank.

For the wire harness, get a replacement one for your model year Bug or an aftermarket one intended for a 73 VW. I recommend against using a generic GM harness as someone else was talking on this forum about doing today, unless every component that interfaces with the wire harness is replaced with GM components.

The year of the engine case makes no difference in regard to the wiring. The generator/alternator, voltage regulator (if separate), the carb (if electric choke or anti-diesel solenoid are present), the ignition, oil pressure sending unit to the idiot light, the turn indicators, the tailights, brake lights, headlights, dome light, etc., ALL make a difference to the wire harness.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drudru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome advice! thank you. lets hope that more goodies are in the block. So far we have an alternator w/ electronic choke. So im going to go for the 73 standrd loom.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: