Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Ives, did you get your seal sorted out?

I installed the windows in my '78 finally. I had them open driving home from work today, and the breeze through the Bus was quite nice!

There is no problem with the late Westy cabinet interfering with the window at all. I pulled the curtain back for the photo so you can see how much room there is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Heh, with the window closed, there is a lot of glare and it is still hard to see the edge of the cabinet. But the middle posts are in line with the seat back for a different line of reference. And in the shot of the right side of the Bus, you can kind of see through to the edge of the cabinet.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

I did get my window in! Thanks for the input. I used a little soapy water, a plastic trim/seal tool, and some persuasion with a rubber mallet and the window seated correctly with the seal laying correctly against the frame and body.

I just had to overcome the fear of thumping on a new piece of glass. Very Happy
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Caesar's review of the sliding windows:

Two paws up!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Alright I'm about ready to go back to the original vent window as this is my third attempt at putting in the lucky brand slider in rear driver's side of my bus.

What am I doing wrong so the lower left corner doesn't seat properly. See third photo. Hard to see in these pictures but hopefully someone can advise. Don't mind the soapy windows. Lubed the crap out of everything to get them in. You can also see how the seal goes wonky part way down the bus. I'm thinking this is liveable as it will be covered by sliding rail covers.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red

Last edited by Sloride on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

What did it for me was heating the seal. Yes it was tight but I love those windows.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

So in addition to the liberal application of the soapy solution, you are heating the entire seal and then using the usual cord around the inner seal and while pulling the cord so as to have the seal pop over the metal body lip, the assistant is pushing from the outer side. I did not say that very well but you use the same procedure as you would for any other rear window, right.

I have to say I like doing this in the hot summer sun.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Done everything you have said guys.

Is there a corner I should start with first?

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

I have never installed these windows so I would defer to those who have. But having said that and with plenty of experience installing other flat or curved glass, I would ensure that the seal is sitting absolutely flat and true around the window frame and not bunched up or tight anywhere. The window with the seal must be sitting absolutely square in the body frame.

Oh and another question. Has the body ever been damaged or repaired at or near the install area. If you have any doubts do some measuring. Compare it to the other side or another vehicle.

With the appropriate cord wrapped around the inner seal lip, I would start either at the bottom or top. I prefer the top as I have found that it is somewhat easier to push up on the glass from the outside.

And of course lots of soapy whatever. I prefer the professional cleaner that glass installers use. A lot less to clean up.

To sum up, preparation is the key here. 75-90% of your time should be preparation. FYI.
vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Hey guys old post I know but I need help figuring this out. Just got my windows from Busdepot and I cannot figure out which side of the seal goes to the window frame. I have done lots of windows on vws but this has me stumped. Also Busdepot sent me 4 of the same seal to do the middles and the rears, is this correct? Here are some pics...

69 Sunroof Beetle-AirheadParts Treffen 18
DD-70 Baywindow Camper-AirheadParts Treffen 21
Safarix3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Those window seals are defective I just bought a pair of the same j windows from CIP1 and I be bent one of the windows frames forcing it into the the window pocket then I inspected window frame and rubber seal and they do not match , I spoke with the CPI1 costumer service representative and I explained all to him I even sent pictures and he told me that he don know what to say
He asked me to send him a proof of other people having problems installing these windows so that he can proceed and talk to his provider
vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with them. I bought mine from Busdepot (justkampers) so not 100% sure if those are the same as mine. I was having trouble figuring out the seal orientation at first. The rubber almost seems backwards from original VW type seals, but I figured them out and installed. I read a lot about people doing it by themselves and to be completely honest, I cannot for the life of me, see how that’s possible! I was able to do 2 sets of 4 (so 2 buses all 4 windows) last month. The first was mine and I used 2 helpers. It was still a tough task, because the windows are an extremely tight fit. But they fit and I like them a lot. The look and function is great.

As far as the seal goes, the larger portion of the seal goes to the inside of the bus. The window frames have a small lip edge that barley seems to catch the seal and with a cord (I use weed wacker line) you slide it into the seal. Put the window and seal top end in first into the bus. So it kinda locks in the buses lip. Then with someone inside holding the cord, you push like no tomorrow on the frame as they pull the cord.
I was able to it with 2 people the second time because my buddy is much more experienced and stubborn than my wife and sis. So good luck man. Let me know if I can help anymore.

vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Before

After

aac325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: JustKampers Sliding Side Window - Product Review - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Just fitted the slider window on The o/s rear, this was after being told by a “professional “ the seal was wrong and wouldn’t fit, all you need is a mate to batter the window from the outside, plenty soapy water, rope and a bone tool or tool with a blunt hook on., had it fitted in under an hour, only got 3 more to do.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: