Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Junkyards :(
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Junkyards :( Reply with quote

Prob just the way it is with our litigious society, but the junk yard local to me where I used to go to explore and get parts has gone to a closed yard policy.
I went there yesterday and got the evil eye from a couple guys but thought maybe their having a bad day... Then a guy chases me down in a pickup and asks "did you ask to be out here?" No I said "well then you need to get out!"
Ok I said and I left never to return.
Makes me sad/ angry and I called he owner whom I know and he confirmed said policy.
I used to go there to look for parts and the policy was to get the number from the car and then get permission to remove parts, now you can't do that, I guess it's hello Internet and then they will wonder what happened to their business. Confused
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Junkyards :( Reply with quote

rlevans wrote:
Prob just the way it is with our litigious society, but the junk yard local to me where I used to go to explore and get parts has gone to a closed yard policy.
I went there yesterday and got the evil eye from a couple guys but thought maybe their having a bad day... Then a guy chases me down in a pickup and asks "did you ask to be out here?" No I said "well then you need to get out!"
Ok I said and I left never to return.
Makes me sad/ angry and I called he owner whom I know and he confirmed said policy.
I used to go there to look for parts and the policy was to get the number from the car and then get permission to remove parts, now you can't do that, I guess it's hello Internet and then they will wonder what happened to their business. Confused

If you have a junk yard at all these days that will sell you anything, be thankful. All of our local yards are plain gone.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be glad LKQ did not buy it up. They bought up the local u pickem yards. You can still get your own parts, but they are thieves. Nothing is negotiable, core charges on every part, and if you buy an engine, you pay additional for the water pump, injectors, alternator, compressor, distributor etc.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding a piece of scrap for any project has gotten to be damn near impossible. Recycling has gotten to be far too successful, in my opinion. Too many do-gooders crusading to clean up the countryside. And good luck finding your material piecemeal at a retail supplier.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People dont want to see a junkyard. Seems like all the good ole junkyards are going away. Someone buys acreage in sticks starts a junkyard. Suburbia moves in and suddenly the junkyard owner cant afford the land. Then homeowners bitch about the eyesore in "their" neighborhood.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say its the market maturing over time to get every last nickel and penny out of every last thing that someone, somewhere might want and pay for. It's what capitalism does. Not saying bad or good, but its happened already in most industries just about everywhere. A lot of that stuff gets shipped overseas for repurposing, then gets sold back to us at a much higher price.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're lucky to have two or three good ones still in the area. Others are already the type where you must declare the make, model and part at the counter and they tell you whether they have it or not. No more lookin' around to see what might fit, like seats, visors, etc. One place near Charlottesville I could see a Vanagon tintop on the lot but would they let me walk out to the vehicle to see if it had any part on it I might want? Nope.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I made the visit to the "Auto Recycler" in the Phoenix area, I was charged a $1.00 just to go in and look for the part I was looking to aquire. I can understand the owners want to know who is coming and going and what are they carrying. If you injured yourself who is liable. Were you trespassing etc.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I needed a part from a junk yard I spent 2 1/2 hours and walked probably two miles through a couple yards. Then I drove down to another VW only yard and found the fuel pump I needed for a 1998 Jetta right away. For me, unless I need a part right now, I'll be ordering it from eBay.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lucky and found a few honey holes but the old guys running the yards tend to be giant presumptuous asshats. They take one look at me, smile and laugh when i ask if their yard has any vw stuff.

Most of the time I will come back a couple hours later with a load of parts to negotiate prices and they just plain out try and rob you with " Oh people come in here all the time looking for that part", or " I shouldn't even sell it to ya for lower than $XXXXXX.XX, cuz i can sell it for more online or at a swap meet" Usually I will haggle for a bit, and if I dont get my way I tell em "hey man i'm gonna go put it back and if you wanna sell it online or whatever, good luck to ya, I just saved you the labor" As soon as I walk off, the guy usually caves and follows with "I can do $XXX, I didn't think you knew what you were looking at"
Brick wall
I need to grow facial hair so I dont look 15

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
banditwolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame. I grew up going in junkyards. Basically started changing around here when a u-pull-it (or whatever it was originally called, not pink-n-pull) moved in. A couple older yards locally closed up. The others now usually charge an entry fee as well. I just hope the others stick around for awhile yet. Nice to have a selection when really in need of a part.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know a good old timey one, bring a sixer now and then... And spend the time listening to their stories... Even if they're boring. Weird old yards outside the city seem to still be pretty chill. The scarier looking the better.

I visit a couple that I'm pretty sure im one of only a few that still walks back in there (and with my own toolbox).
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the junkyard, we only have three here. there's only one I go to - a dollar to get in, and they don't care what you cut up, or what you grab - very decent prices on everything I've gotten there. They always treat me well, and like to test my knowledge with all of the weird things I've gotten there. the second choice is a dollar in, but they care what you cut up, and there prices aren't as great, service is poor. I took a rear veiw mirror from some old ford falcon or something and they started asking questions about it, where I got it off off, so on - as if they didn't want me to get it, but I got it for a decent enough price. The third is a dollar, and you have to ask them before you pull anything! I've only been there once - I've heard that there prices are crazy too.

Worst part is lugging around a heavy toolbox, not knowing what you will need to get a part, but always worth it for the price. Junkyards are just fun in general, I always enjoy wondering around in them - although not many vws in them too often.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Junkyards :( Reply with quote

Years ago when taking my boat to the (Colorado) river, we would pass this junkyard outside of Essex, CA on the old Route 66 which was chock full of cars from the '30's that had broken down in the middle of the dez and were left behind. They were still in great shape--I always thought about stopping by and seeing what was there. There were a LOT of cars there. Then, one drive out, the place was empty. Someone made out on that deal. Sad
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
If you know a good old timey one, bring a sixer now and then... And spend the time listening to their stories... Even if they're boring. Weird old yards outside the city seem to still be pretty chill. The scarier looking the better.

I visit a couple that I'm pretty sure im one of only a few that still walks back in there (and with my own toolbox).

Exactly. The internet has made a part worth more for a yard to a pay a grunt to remove it. If you pull what you need- they must have two pricing structures. If you steal what you need, now there's a third price structure- sending a babysitter out with you. Too much hassle- and some around here charge a $1 to enter the yard (like that prevents theft?).

The yards that time forgot are less net-dependent, and once a rapport is established will be more trusting. I do something really silly and unheard of- I tell the truth of what I want to see, and that I expect to pay up because it's rare. A funny thing results, I get help and a good price.

I can only think of one time I've turned my back on a yard because they were jacknards and shut me down. I probably interrupted them telling a canoe paddler in the back room he had a pretty mouth.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

This is SO true! Great advice.

We have a local scrap yard that only sells as scrap. Him as his son are always up for a good talking, share some laughs, experiences.

Many think the guy is unapproachable, been going since I was 15. We have a rapport a little give and take on pricing and his son is now running the thing and same deal with him.

Same token, there are friends I DON'T take there because they just don't operate like that. I like my bridges 'non-burned' Wink ...
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
The last time I made the visit to the "Auto Recycler" in the Phoenix area, I was charged a $1.00 just to go in and look for the part I was looking to aquire. I can understand the owners want to know who is coming and going and what are they carrying. If you injured yourself who is liable. Were you trespassing etc.

I don't have a problem with the $1 entry fee. Where else can you get that sort of entertainment for $1? We used to go down, pay our dollar and just walk around looking for a couple hours with no intent of buying anything.

When we were racing steadily we sometimes went to the yard 3 times a week to pick stuff up.

Then a few years ago the guy who owned 4 or 5 of these yards (Crazy Ray's) sold out to some big corporation. It costs a dollar to get in, but everything got way more expensive, and they really started screwing you when you brought a car in.

They run TV adds stating they pay $400 for ANY car. But when I towed my Grand Cherokee to them they would only give me $350 because part of the exhaust system wasn't on the car. But it was IN the car along with a bunch of other valuable scrap we had thrown in for their advantage. Of course they only told us this after the car was unloaded and we had waited around for over an hour to get paid. That was the last time I set foot on their property.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time there was something called the "Honor System" we would go in with our own tools, pull parts then walk up to the office and pay. That was when we lived in an more "honorable" time. That time is long gone.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the $1 makes you a "customer" and is soo much chump change that it's inconsequential
at the yard I visit the 1$s get divided up to the employees as a "tip" for the day a tip for dealing with people who buy parts at junkyards..
I know you, me and McGee aren't that bad but you all know what social types they(employees) have to deal with daily.. most can't pay with common sense.
gt1953 wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ford bought up a lot of them as did other entities when the you can build ten new cars for every old car title thing came about from gov regulations.and yes the internetalso made it hard to go get your own stuff along with insurance regs.then there is the cars that had good parts but the walking guys distroied the sellable parts trying to get what they wanted thus..we pull parts yards have replaced the you pull parts yards we all loved. face it the hoby guys that can di it are few and far between.it's the body&repair shops that get most of the stuff, thus the oud"good stuff" gets crushed to make way for the stuff the insurance companys will sell then buy backin peices to repair other cars. the only things I remember buysing was rearends,engines&transmissions.and those had to be a specific unit from a very few narrow year range.those are gone.as are the yeard.now it's scrap yards.and I but new now days since Im into vw's there is no reason to buy anything used, your just getting somebodyelses issues and a dead part.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: