Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lead replacement upper cylinder lubricant
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Lead replacement upper cylinder lubricant Reply with quote

I can't remember the circumstances when I started using "valve saver". I guess I'd been convinced it was necessary on older cars designed to run on leaded petrol.

I've since been wondering whether it's a needless expense.

Here's some promotional material describing its benefits eg. "minimizes valve seat recession", "increases fuel economy", etc.

http://www.flashlube.com/en/products/valve-saver-fluid.html

It's not very expensive - c. AU50c/US40c in 30L/9gallons of petrol. Nonetheless, I've run out of the stuff again and wondering whether I really need it.

My beetle engine is a 1600sp that was rebuilt in 1990. I don't know whether it has so-called 'hardened valves".

Any thoughts? Rolling Eyes
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lead replacement upper cylinder lubricant Reply with quote

tomfreo wrote:
I can't remember the circumstances when I started using "valve saver". I guess I'd been convinced it was necessary on older cars designed to run on leaded petrol.

I've since been wondering whether it's a needless expense.

Here's some promotional material describing its benefits eg. "minimizes valve seat recession", "increases fuel economy", etc.

http://www.flashlube.com/en/products/valve-saver-fluid.html

It's not very expensive - c. AU50c/US40c in 30L/9gallons of petrol. Nonetheless, I've run out of the stuff again and wondering whether I really need it.

My beetle engine is a 1600sp that was rebuilt in 1990. I don't know whether it has so-called 'hardened valves".

Any thoughts? Rolling Eyes

the issue with lead was primarily for soft valve seats, more common in cast iron cylinder heads where the seat was machined directly into the head, with no hardened insert. The VW with the aluminum head has always had hardened inserts. So no problem with VW valve seats.

In California we have had lead free gasoline for over 30 years I recall. No problems with the VW's I have owned all that time.

don't worry about it.

the other thing that lead helps with is that it is an octane booster. it slows the burn rate down, preventing detonation, the tetraethyl lead is some what opaque to the flame in the cylinder. now days other additives are used to improve the octane rating of gasoline. The octane rating is a measure of how well the fuel resists detonation. so it is ok to get the lead out .

Laughing Cool Shocked Shocked Very Happy Smile Surprised Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the lead! And be very careful handling any of the lead additives! That stuff is really bad for you.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Lead replacement upper cylinder lubricant Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
In California we have had lead free gasoline for over 30 years I recall. No problems with the VW's I have owned all that time.

I have had all sorts of problems "back in the day" with low-lead and unleaded gas in ACVWs.

Most of the problems came about due to the very low octane of early LL/UL gas. Timing had to be retarded and/or compression ratios lowered, and they ran hotter. Early heads had troubles with valve seats and so valve jobs lasted 50K or so, not 75K like they used to. Dark days.

Then they added MTBE to gas which helped the octane but then ruined some rubber parts and polluted groundwater, so back out it came.

Whatever they add now seems to have solved the problems, and valve and valve seat materials seem to be better as well.
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been running any in mine since I bought it about 10 years ago - which is around the time when they phased out 'super' fuel here which supposedly had lead replacement stuff in it. I do run some marvel oil through mine for the supercharger. I also do use premium fuel - I find I get better economy.

Chatting to others in the Vw club I found most don't use it. Some chuck it in cause its not that expensive and I guess it's just habit.
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Lead replacement upper cylinder lubricant Reply with quote

Had a customer one time that added a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil to his aircraft engine at every oil change. When his engine was way past recommended overhaul, we tore it down, and could still push piston pins out with our fingers, and the engine was clean. I'm a firm believer in MMO. Good stuff.
blue77bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just run good gas ,not that cheap regurgitated yak piss they pass off for 91,you will get cleaner internals ,better mpg and better performance
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 36 hp with over 175k on it, never apart, original heads never worked on. I put lead additive in about every tank full. Dunno if it does any good but WTF it's not like the engine was designed to run on today's crap gas. I could chalk the 175k+ up to 56 yrs of religious oil changes and by the book maintenance but maybe every little bit helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: