Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Beetle missing chassis number
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: 1960 Beetle missing chassis number Reply with quote

I just got an awesome 1960 Beetle in great shape, but when I looked at the car before I bought it, and I noticed the chassis number on the tunnel was missing. On the earlier cars I believe it was stamped onto a plate, rather than on the tunnel itself. I wasn't going to let a missing number stop me from buying this beautiful car. http://www.oldbug.com/galass60.htm Let me know what you think, it doesn't bother me much but I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before.
Thanks,
Paul
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle missing chassis number Reply with quote

pdowty68 wrote:
I just got an awesome 1960 Beetle in great shape, but when I looked at the car before I bought it, and I noticed the chassis number on the tunnel was missing. On the earlier cars I believe it was stamped onto a plate, rather than on the tunnel itself. I wasn't going to let a missing number stop me from buying this beautiful car. http://www.oldbug.com/galass60.htm Let me know what you think, it doesn't bother me much but I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before.
Thanks,
Paul

On my 1961 it is stamped on the tunnel, not on a plate there. There should be a serial number plate behind the spare tire. don't let this on to the DMV when you register it. some DMV's consider the chassis as what is registered, NOT the body and a missing chassis serial number may raise a Big red flag. I am not sure where the number should be on the 1960 chassis however. I think it was stamped on the tunnel, but I might be wrong. If the pan was swapped out, maybe some one removed the serial number???? maybe cause they did not want to re-register the chassis???? something is fishy me thinks, could be an innocent work around from a chassis swap thing, could be a stolen chassis????? then again maybe the 1960 is supposed to be that way, but I kind of doubt it.

good luck Laughing Cool Confused Shocked Very Happy Smile Wink Rolling Eyes Idea Wink Razz Shocked Laughing

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be stamped...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....like this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(pic borrowed from gallery)
have fun getting to know the 60 only parts Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
....like this

Can't be near as bad as a 67 Smile Never had one but I hear some parts are hard to find. I thought 61 was the year with the bad transmission mount, because it was the first year of the non-split case trans.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
....like this

I "heard" that all VWs are one-year-only cars. Just sayin'.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdowty68 wrote:
60ragtop wrote:
....like this

Can't be near as bad as a 67 Smile Never had one but I hear some parts are hard to find. I thought 61 was the year with the bad transmission mount, because it was the first year of the non-split case trans.

my 1961 has 330,000 miles, and no unusual problems with the tranny mount, sure it has been replaced a few times, cause the rubber got bad turned all spongy and soft, made worse by oil contamination from tranny leaks, but that is not unusual.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it was repainted, it could have been covered up, or it coulda got really rusty. I had to wire brush and clean the hell outta mine just to get it to show up....good luck man

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret2094 wrote:
if it was repainted, it could have been covered up, or it coulda got really rusty. I had to wire brush and clean the hell outta mine just to get it to show up....good luck man

Bret

It seems smooth like it was covered over. I want it to be there! Ill sleep better at night. Also, it has a choke cable installed under the carpet, rathe than through the tunnel as usual. If there is no choke cable tube in the tunnel, then its probably a later chassis, but it does have the rotary heater knob. I really hope it is the original numbers matching chassis, because she's a beautiful car and has the original engine and the correct split case transaxle. Its been very cold and snowy lately, and I got the car and towed it home from Rochester to Long Island, so it was a long weekend. But I'm very happy with the car, but because of this awful weather, I haven't had much time to "play with her" yet Smile
Take a look at the photos of the car at the attached link.
Thanks again,
Paul
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

Yeah they are all one year only cars but try the parts for a 60 Wink
Tranny, front mount, keys, dipstick + 60-61 steering wheel, horn ring and horn system
just sayin'
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
iowegian wrote:

Tranny, front mount, keys, dipstick + 60-61 steering wheel, horn ring and horn system
just sayin'

60 and 61 parts cant be as hard to find as 67 parts. When I bought the car I noticed that the horn ring was broken. I'm glad the ring is broken and its not a 64-65 wheel. Now I just need to find a 60-61 horn ring.
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
iowegian wrote:

just sayin'

60 and 61 parts cant be as hard to find as 67 parts. When I bought the car I noticed that the horn ring was broken. I'm glad the ring is broken and its not a 64-65 wheel. Now I just need to find a 60-61 horn ring.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were almost 25% more 67's made than 1960's, and they are 7 years newer; 7 years less less rotted, less altered, and less likely to have been scrapped or crushed. And no one is reproducing most of the 1960 only parts. Also, 60 was the last year for a lot of stuff; screw type electrical connections, split case trans, 36hp engine, manual choke, screw connection fuse blocks, humpback tank, steel brake fluid res., older style clip elements, and more.

Glad the horn ring is broken? That's an odd sentiment. Good luck finding a replacement.
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdowty68 wrote:

Also, it has a choke cable installed under the carpet, rathe than through the tunnel as usual. If there is no choke cable tube in the tunnel, then its probably a later chassis, but it does have the rotary heater knob.

when the old cable seizes up, it is a bitch to get out of the tunnel .... dont count it out yet, the P/O mat have just given up removing the old one. You have a pretty complete car there , for the most part. Definitely a great starting point. An easy way to count the older chassis (-1959 ) out as a swap before breaking out the wire wheel is the presence of bump stops in the rear suspension. earlier cars did not have them. with the presence of the bump stops and the heater knob , it narrows you down to the 1960-1964 range, but the best thing will be to do a quick once over on the tunnel once you get the seats out of the way.

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
There were almost 25% more 67's made than 1960's, and they are 7 years newer; 7 years less less rotted, less altered, and less likely to have been scrapped or crushed. And no one is reproducing most of the 1960 only parts. Also, 60 was the last year for a lot of stuff; screw type electrical connections, split case trans, 36hp engine, manual choke, screw connection fuse blocks, humpback tank, steel brake fluid res., older style clip elements, and more.

Glad the horn ring is broken? That's an odd sentiment. Good luck finding a replacement.

Absolutely agree. Having restored a 1960 bug over the past few years I have an appreciation of how difficult certain parts are to find. The 60/61 steering wheel and horn parts can definitely be a challenge to locate. The Samba classifieds are a great source.
Best of luck with your car.
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panicman wrote:

I worded that wrong... I meant Im glad its the correct 60-61 wheel. When I was looking at the photos of the car, I thought it had a 64-65 wheel due to the lack of ring.
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
panicman wrote:

Absolutely agree. Having restored a 1960 bug over the past few years I have an appreciation of how difficult certain parts are to find. The 60/61 steering wheel and horn parts can definitely be a challenge to locate. The Samba classifieds are a great source.
Best of luck with your car.

Thanks Smile
pdowty68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the 60-61 sticky will be helpful here Smile
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easier to see with the tank out, but you should be able to see if the choke cable tube is there by taking the front wheels off and having a look up in there.

The big issue without knowing if it has a serial number is really who legally owns the car and what is it?

The number should be stamped into the tunnel. Sometimes they did get filled with paint over the years but they HAD to be visible and readable when the car rolled off the line.

Post a couple picture if you can of the area where the number is supposed to be. That might help figure out what happened to the number.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I wouldnt touch it until I figured out the pan number situation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: