Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet another newbie?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFE 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Yet another newbie? Reply with quote

I've been looking for a new project for some time and decided on a sand rail that I am going to convert to a street/off road cruiser. My goal is to have something fun to cruise back roads and maybe a little sand at our place in the Baja.
One thing that was important to me was to start with a plated rail, as it would be very difficult to register a sand rail in CA. I found this rail (on this website) in AZ. The rail has good bones, but needs lots of TLC. It has '69 BJ front end, a post-'71 IRS tranny and a 2180 cc motor with dual webers.
First step was to disassemble it down to the bare frame. Then cut and grind off some tabs, mounts and a section of the frame I want to redo. Then some welding to be done before having it powder coated and start putting it back together, but with a whole bunch of new parts. New seats, pedal assembly, adding front disc brakes, new wiring, putting in a dash and console to accommodate 2 gauges and a tach, etc.
I will undoubtedly be coming here with questions. I have already read many threads here that have been very helpful. I truly respect all the knowledge on here and the eagerness (and patience) to answer questions.
Here are some pics from where I got it to where it was as of last weekend. More pics in my gallery.
Matt

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[/img]

Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fun project. Hopefully the "helpful" people at the DMV won't run you through the wringer. I would get the registration transferred as soon as possible. That way you know you are good to go before you have too much time or money invested. Good luck.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lefty. While it IS POSSIBLE to register a rail buggy in California, it is NOT EZ. Just because Arizona allows such things pretty easily and have let it be registered in AZ, doesn't mean the CaliNazis will allow it.

There are far too many people living in California now who feel that if it isn't the way they would do things, it should be illegal. Unfortunately plenty of those are working in the government. In America these days, and especially in California, those in government read the part about "Government OF the People" and the rest looks like a repeat of that so they don't read the parts that say "BY the People" or "FOR the People". I've never read anything in the US or California Constitutions which empower the Motor Vehicle Department to regulate what a car is built like.

I understand safety regulations. But I don't see where it says, even in the California Vehicle Code, that a car MUST be mass produced to be registered for the road. Nor do I see any reason why it should.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.

Last edited by dustymojave on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MFE 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the registration covered. I'm going to register it in So. Dakota. There is no state-wide DMV there - it's done on a county-by-county basis and some counties are thrilled to collect registration fees and don't require a So Dakota address, or a So. Dakota drivers license and never need to see the car. The registration will have my CA address. Won't fly with CA cops, but will be fine in the Baja. Laughing
MFE 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Richard
You're right that you don't have to have a mass produced car to register it in CA. I built a Shelby Cobra replica and it is registered as a 20XX SPCN (special construction vehicle). And, the CA DMV allows 500 SPCN vehicles to be registered each year based on the year the car resembles. I got one of those 500. And since mine is a virtual duplicate of a 65 Cobra, I only have to meet safety, equipment and smog requirements in effect in 1965. The most important benefit of this is that my car is smog-exempt. A big, honkin' 427 with old school carb, distributor and side pipes.
Matt
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

I grew up around road racing here in SoCal, I watched Carroll Shelby take my dad for a spin around Riverside raceway in the prototype Cobra in '62. I have a great appreciation for such things.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MFE 3 wrote:
I've got the registration covered. I'm going to register it in So. Dakota. There is no state-wide DMV there - it's done on a county-by-county basis and some counties are thrilled to collect registration fees and don't require a So Dakota address, or a So. Dakota drivers license and never need to see the car. The registration will have my CA address. Won't fly with CA cops, but will be fine in the Baja. Laughing

Unfortunately Calif has 30 day rule... If car resides in state for more then 30 days it requires a Calif registration ... The game you are trying to play will not fly if you get stopped... Specially if you have Calif address on registration...

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/newvehicle
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=...r9#feesdue

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
MFE 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale, you're right.
When I'm done, this car is gonna live in the Baja, where I have a home.
There, they only care if the car has plates and insurance.
Matt
MFE 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rail came with Fox 2.0 shocks. When I was disassembling my rail, I was surprised that the shocks are the only suspension. There either are no torsion bars in the tubes or they are so lose that they offer no lift.
Is this a normal setup? Or should I have torsion bars actually supporting the car and the shocks only acting as shock absorbers?
Matt
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

search for info on indexing torsions.
yours are prolly getting lazy
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shocks should never lift the car unless they are "air shocks". Fox DOES make these.

Coilovers support the weight of the car, but it is the coil spring that supports the weight, not the shock absorber.

If you unbolt the shocks and the car does not fall, then the torsion bars are still inside the housing.
SoCalBajas Member
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear shocks do look like air shocks. Due to the Schrader valve and the humongous shaft.
MFE 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certain they are air shocks. When I unbolt them, the rail drops to the floor so they are bearing all the weight. They are super stiff now and much stiffer than I need. Based on my research, it appears I will need to remove some oil and perhaps lower the air (nitrogen) pressure.
I want the shocks softer on the first few inches of travel to handle small whoops and wash board on dirt roads.
Am I on the right track? Any useful links on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you have the rail ready to go, as in full built and weight, you can find a shock guy to tune those to your needs. Sorry I do not have a reccomendation for you but I'm 100% certain you will find someone in SoCal who will know what they are doing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: