Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 40 hp stale air performance upgrades?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
warrior1641
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: 1961 40 hp stale air performance upgrades? Reply with quote

I recently got a 61 ragtop bug project with the original 40 hp i would like to keep it but I've owned stock 40's before and they are just to slow what can be done to help it out without breaking the bank. Let me know your thoughts
sturgeongeneral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add a Big Bore kit and upgrade the carb. Low end torque is very gratifying and nice power increase.
My fiberglass car collection!

In honor of bowtie56jw:Another victim of the nasty "C" Praying for ya Jeff!

My exwife said if I towed home one more bug she would leave me. You know, every once in a while I miss her
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 63 case in my 65. Agree 100% on the big bore kit (gets you up to almost 1400cc), but research what all is involved - usually some clearancing on the case at #3. As far as carb upgrade, mine looks stock except for the alternator kit and using an aftermarket air filter because I needed to use a spacer to have the carb clear the alternator.

I have a rebuilt 28PICT1 on it and had to rejet it (mains is much larger that I would have expected). The car runs amazingly well. If I knew I was going to do this before I had the trannty rebuilt, I would have gone with later gearing since this is so much stronger than a stock 1200.

Make sure you use a proper distributor. When I did it, I couldnt find a proper vac advance distributor, (I since have got one) so I got an 019 from Glenn or here.

Honestly, this car runs as well as most stock 1600s I have driven.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I have a 63 case in my 65. Agree 100% on the big bore kit (gets you up to almost 1400cc), but research what all is involved - usually some clearancing on the case at #3. As far as carb upgrade, mine looks stock except for the alternator kit and using an aftermarket air filter because I needed to use a spacer to have the carb clear the alternator.

I have a rebuilt 28PICT1 on it and had to rejet it (mains is much larger that I would have expected). The car runs amazingly well. If I knew I was going to do this before I had the trannty rebuilt, I would have gone with later gearing since this is so much stronger than a stock 1200.

Make sure you use a proper distributor. When I did it, I couldnt find a proper vac advance distributor, (I since have got one) so I got an 019 from Glenn or here.

Honestly, this car runs as well as most stock 1600s I have driven.

Yep all good advice. Here's the topic relating any clearanceing issues you're likely to encounter. Essential reading: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129792
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: