Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Still no gas getting to '64 Beetle engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Still no gas getting to '64 Beetle engine Reply with quote

Revisiting the problem first discussed here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606963&highlight=
I still am not getting gas flow back to the engine. (Eight gallons of gas currently in the tank.)
When we took the tank out to drain it the gas drained out into a gas can as fast as it seemed it could, so I'm ass-uming the flow out of the tank is okay.
The cloth line between the tank and the metal line coming out of the front of the tunnel is new and not kinked. (I can move it around freely with my hand.)
I ran weedeater line through the metal line in the tunnel front to back and back to front six or eight time each direction. When I blew compressed air through this line it seemed to be as unobstructed as it could be.
I am able to get a dribbly flow out of the metal tunnel line where it comes out in back and goes into the cloth line (before the next short stretch of metal line, after which is the line going to the fuel pump. All cloth lines are new and not kinked.). But I'm still not getting enough gas to make it into the fuel pump, and eventually the dribbly flow stops.
Is it possible to be able to run weedeater line through the tunnel line, seemingly freely, several times in each direction and have an apparent clear air flow but still have enough obstruction that gas wouldn't flow sufficiently?
As for Plan B. what's the best way for me to run another fuel line to the back of the car without taking the whole car apart to get it through the tunnel?
This is a very frustrating problem: a beautiful '64 Bug just dying to start and run but not able to!
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Still no gas getting to '64 Beetle engine Reply with quote

I may have missed something, but have you considered that your fuel pump may be inoperative?
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't, but since I'm not even getting fuel to the pump (which came as new in a 6 to 12 volt conversion kit) I don't know why that would be an issue. Shouldn't fuel flow at least as far as the pump on its own? I'm not getting fuel as far as going into the metal line that goes through the firewall to the engine.
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car is fairly level, you should get some. On the other hand, the inlet side of the pump should suck fuel.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Still no gas getting to '64 Beetle engine Reply with quote

George Stimson wrote:
I ran weedeater line through the metal line in the tunnel front to back and back to front six or eight time each direction.

Hi George, I just read your other thread . . . were you ever able to get the weedeater line to go ALL the way through so that you could see it emerge from the other end?
You should be able to push it ALL the way through and out the other end. If not, it might be possible that you are moving a foreign object back and forth within the line.

BTW . . . I replaced my fuel line through the tunnel with new steel tubing . . . A bit of a chore!
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the weedeater line came all the way through. I was able to pull it out. And I could run it completely through from front to back and from back to front, several times each way.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried disconnecting the line from the carb and turning the engine over to see if fuel pumps out (into a container of course!)?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrefethen wrote:
If your car has been sitting for several years:

Replace all the rubber fuel lines.

Clean your tank. Chain lengh and kerosene.

Replace the copper sock in the fuel tank.

Get a power drill and some old trottle cable, or similiar wire, and run it
front to back.

Read this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606650&highlight=fuel+line

Should be clear now.

Dan

George- the reason I lost it last time is I felt you were receiving great advice from folks- and didn't try over half of it. I still read nowhere in either thread where you tried everything bolded above. You can't clean a rifle barrel with just the rod- it needs wadding. Likewise, trimmer line is not a cleaner- it's a flexible rod. you still need to scrub the bore of your hard line with something like a cable on a drill. Also, nowhere have you reported the status of you tank sock/pickup tube. I am convinced you have not serviced this. I hope your gas cap is venting.

Therefore, I'm betting 3 things: the sock is clogged/deteriorated; the hard line is coagulated with lacquer; and thirdly (like your previous thread) the subject will get quietly dropped without a courtesy thank you to all those who repeatedly tried to help you. Please prove me wrong here-

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, you are trying to break through the built up rust scale on the inside of a small steel pipe. A weed-eater line is pretty small, so naturally will only produce a small stream of fuel.
Even then, anything bigger might just induce a pinhole leak or blowout anyway, so I'd suggest moving on to the other alternative for now.

Essentially you run an external steel replacement on the right side of the tunnel to mirror how the brake pipe is done on the left, as in by using anti-wear grommets/bushings through the bulkheads and fastened firmly down all along the way. All you have to do is remove the gas tank, seats and floor coverings.

The -'65 Bentley outlines the factory recommended routing, with pictures and text. This topic has come up here recently, but I don't have a scan of the instructions provided in that post.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest,

The reason the topic got dropped before is because I ran out of money and time to work on the project (not to mention not having any help) and so it got delayed until just recently. I apologize if my departure was abrupt and rude.
I did try the power drill and wire through the metal line in the tunnel, but it didn't go all the way through and I didn't want to force it and damage the line.
As for the other items on your bolded list, fair enough. I'll try them as I have the means to (I live in a very rural area and don't really have any help) and get back to you.
sturgeongeneral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many shims are under your fuel pump?
My fiberglass car collection!

In honor of bowtie56jw:Another victim of the nasty "C" Praying for ya Jeff!

My exwife said if I towed home one more bug she would leave me. You know, every once in a while I miss her
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you park with the front wheels up on ramps and the rear end of the fuel line in a gas can, does the fuel flow freely? Do this for a couple gallons and any crud loose in the long line will pass into the gas can.
turboscotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you can try again is using the compressed air method after you try the above post. I would keep going back and forth with the air, I have a feeling you have some build up in the line that just keeps moving around. If you have a helper get him to hold his finger over the other end with a rag as you blow air in the line, might help get whatever is in there to pop out, just trying to help.
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, we pulled the tank today. Gas was coming out of the cloth line (new) attached to the tank at what seemed to be a steady stream (see pic). It took about 33 minutes to drain eight gallons of gas out of the tank into gas cans. The gas was clean. It was a similar flow when working on the problem earlier that caused me to think that blockage in the tank was not a possible cause. And as I recollect, that's why I didn't focus on the tank as being the problem.
But what do you other guys think? Is the gas flow indicated in the picture (8 gallons/33 minutes) sufficient enough that it should make it through the line in the tunnel and back to the engine (provided that the tunnel line isn't clogged)? Should I pull out the tank filter and check it anyway?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try these things:

1. Leave the gas tank out, and unhook the line "uphill" from the fuel filter and blow through the line. Can you blow through the line, or does it feel like it's not letting air through?

2. Did you change your fuel filter?

3. Put half a cup of gas into a little can or container. Then try have a friend try to crank the car while allowing the fuel pump to suck gas through a very short gas line. Does gas exit the other side of the fuel pump?

Do these things and you'll be able to pinpoint your problem.
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the fuel tank venting at all?

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
George Stimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only fuel filter in the whole line is a new one between the fuel pump and the carburetor. When you say "uphill," do you mean the direction from which the fuel is flowing?
And VeeDub Doug, pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by "venting"?
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the tank able to breathe? Is the breather tube hooked up?

The fuel will not want to leave the tank if the tank isn't breathing properly.

Have you tried filling the carbs float bowl up. Then try to starting the car?

Sometimes it takes that to get the fuel flowing properly.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Potsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you may still have an obstruction in the metal line, but not enough to stop the flow completely. If it flows then stops, the tank may not be venting. There should be a cloth fuel line coming off the filler neck on the tank. This is routed down underneath the car and allows air in to replace the fuel that has left. Otherwise negative air pressure will build in the tank and stops the fuel from flowing. You can test this by just repeating the test where you let the fuel dribble from the cloth line that goes to the pump. But do it this time with the filler cap off. If the dribble doesn't stop with the cap off, then you know it's a venting problem.
Potsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I had the pump out, it would not prime when I tried to start the car. I had to take it off the engine (with the lines hooked up), then manually push the rod on the bottom until fuel came out the line that goes to the carb.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: