Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

I decided to skip Nashville and drive the 500 mile blue ridge parkway/Shanendoah skyline road all the way to Pennsylvania so I can receive the new VSS and join the bus depot camp out on Saturday. I realized the bus runs bad, throws all four cylinder misfire codes etc but doesn't go into full limpmode unless I come to a complete stop and let it idle... The great thing about this road is 45 mph speed limits and no stops !! The bad part is constantly going up and down mountains is slow going on diminished power.

I would take the freeway but with the misfires and what not that the lack of VSS is causing I can't get above 55 ( I think ). I couldn't fix my speedometer cable with jb weld so I'm going to buy a new one from bus depot this weekend. I should have the new VSS installed tomorrow from RMW.

In other news I came the closest I've come to crashing at sunset last night when a damn black bear jumped out in front of me in Shenandoah national park. Full on four wheel skid got about 6" from its back foot as it decided to just try to outrun me in my lane!

Panamerican Highway - 2014-2017
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

Said bear once it got into the other lane and ran back to its cub
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shenandoah early morning driving.. Roads are empty at 7am so you can stop and take pics Smile

Let the slow cruisin begin!

3 Amigos Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

I love the road trips.. I look over the expedition portal often and quite honestly Bus road trips are my favorite.. keep rolling and photos too
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

I modified my clutch cable "arm" to mount the rmw VSS (built for a Vanagon) and I had to put a large nut as a spacer between the included nuts. Is this messing with my magnetic vss? I have it within 3/16 and I'm not getting a reading still!

I'll mess with it more tomorrow but man am I just wishing they would build a direct fit so I don't have to modify !

Anyway, skills same experience?

Also, going to the BusDepot campout Tonight and tomorrow! Whose going?

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

I have made my own brackets.

is your wiring of the VSS correct?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

I put it even closer and it works on a hand on tire spin test. I'm going for a drive here shortly. Here's a few pics of the RMW bracket mounted to the modified arm.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

I would remove #28 the spacer plates if you can. The reluctor wheel will spread the load of the cv bolts. Or get longer bolts.
thnx to jeersylooker

GD
Tcash
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

If you don't get a good enough signal from the tabs on that ring, try using the bolt heads. Or flip that sensor 90 degrees so that its pointing at the larger flat portion of the ring and not the thin edge.

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I would remove #28 the spacer plates if you can. The reluctor wheel will spread the load of the cv bolts. Or get longer bolts.
thnx to jeersylooker

GD
Tcash
Moon plates per Tom Powell. Unsure of the origin of that name for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

Tim,
These plates that Tom calls moon plates may have come from what are known as half moon clips. These were used in WWI vintage .45 revolvers. The pistol was made to shoot .45 rim ammunition but you could use .45 acp ammo if you incorporated half moon clips. Very similar looking to these CV strengthening plates. My brother wound up with our Dad's gun.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

Canuck what speed sensor are you running? If I have any future issues I am going to switch it so it's reading off the bolts as you suggest, or modify it so it's reading the wide side. I suppose the only issue with running the CV without the half moons is that the RMW ring is a semi circle. One of the bolts doesn't secure it. Not sure if this would actually be an issue or if the bolt would max out without the half moon spacer.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

I like the RMW set up.

I am running a HELL of a lot more power thru that set up than you are, and have zero issues.

in my testing, the RMW is spot on with a clean square wave. the bolt holes are kind of a jumbled mess on the scope.

RMW pick up ring+proper washers=0 issues

the issue whit the bolt head deal is too much interference. I am probably the only asshole on the planet to hook my scope up to see this...

computers need CLEAN signals...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

DiVo wrote:
Canuck what speed sensor are you running? If I have any future issues I am going to switch it so it's reading off the bolts as you suggest, or modify it so it's reading the wide side. I suppose the only issue with running the CV without the half moons is that the RMW ring is a semi circle. One of the bolts doesn't secure it. Not sure if this would actually be an issue or if the bolt would max out without the half moon spacer.

It's just how I have seen others do it. That's not my setup (from the gallery). I am using the stock VSS in the Subaru transmission Wink but currently stuck in wiring hell Brick wall Will get it done eventually
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

The speed sender from a Pontiac Fiero (GM p/n 90148828) will screw onto the back of the speedometer, and the speedo cable will screw into the back of the sender.

I have one on my '78. I originally used it to provide a signal to the VW cruise control I installed years ago, and now it provides a signal to the TDI ECU.

Just throwing another option out there for readers of the thread.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
The speed sender from a Pontiac Fiero (GM p/n 90148828) will screw onto the back of the speedometer, and the speedo cable will screw into the back of the sender.

I have one on my '78. I originally used it to provide a signal to the VW cruise control I installed years ago, and now it provides a signal to the TDI ECU.

Wow who figured that one out? I was running the RJES speedometer sensor and it stopped working correctly, at least I believe. Then it seems to have broken my speedometer input shaft (male piece that plugs into the speedometer). So I'm about to install a new cable and stick with the RMW set up, hopefully I'll be problem free from here on out!

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

DiVo wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Wow who figured that one out? I was running the RJES speedometer sensor and it stopped working correctly, at least I believe. Then it seems to have broken my speedometer input shaft (male piece that plugs into the speedometer). So I'm about to install a new cable and stick with the RMW set up, hopefully I'll be problem free from here on out!

Some guy in Europe, I guess!

Years ago I had a VW Corrado and bought some European parts from a guy in Germany, and then sold him some US VW Golf parts. I think somewhere along the way I mentioned I was installing a cruise control system from a different wrecked Corrado I had into the Bus but needed a speed signal at some point.

So he somehow knew about this part and sold me one. Every once in a while I would try to figure out what the heck it was from but kept coming up short because I thought he had told me it was a Bosch part.

Eventually, just this spring, I found a place in Europe selling this part (turns out it fits the speedometers of some little European sports car and is used similarly in those applications though I don't recall what it was).

The guy was unwilling to ship it to me, but provided the GM part number.

So I bought two-one to have as a spare, and one to install in the '73. Once I can find a switch to control it, I intend on installing the cruise system that I first had in the '78.

The plus side is it isn't in a place subject to rocks, mud, etc. The down side is it is probably further away than most converters would place the ECU, and a wire must be run from the front. I used a multi-wire harness so this wasn't an issue for me.

But it has been in place since roughly 2003 with no problems, being used for two different purposes.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

Well the past few thousand miles have been fun, we made it up to Burlington Vermont and over to Acadia National park for a sunrise and some surfing.

Well also went to buses by the depot and Flanders aircooled shows which were amazing. Our first VW meet ups!

We stopped by Skills' house in Conneticut to see what the fuck his problem is Smile. What an awesome guy / family, it's really great to put faces to Internet names. We shot the shit for 8 hours and I definitely learned a lot from his conversion examples he even helped me out by doing a quick weld on my bumper.

We then began heading west and a familiar noise from the rear bearings kept back. I've tightened this bearing three times on the road trip, but it keeps making a grinding noise in shorter and shorter intervals. So I finally rented the tools from autozone and tore it apart (I had new bearings with me the whole trip)

I don't know what the issue was as neither race was spinning and the bearings looked to be original and in good shape. I put the new bearings in and I have 1000 miles on them with no sounds / issues. I also noticed my new cv boot with only 1000 miles on it had torn already, this after replacing the same one 5000 miles before that! This one seperated from the metal section.. Argh.

My rust has been coming back with a vengeance after spending 1.5 months on a barge and 2 months in seaside storage ( not to mention all the times we camped on the beach ) so I bought some touch up spray paint from Napa

But I needed to knock down all the bubbles I saw first and metal treat them. My dog legs gave me an unexpected surprise. I'll do a bondo patch for now until I can correctly repair it in Alaska. I sort of took over Autozone for the day here in Niagra Falls, NY.

Now I head towards upper Michigan and over to northern Lake Superior where I'll put the paint on at a campground ( 2 day process for the 2 part paint ).

Any tips on what to see / do up there?

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

it was awesome to meet the 2 of you. why didn't you mention the bearing issue? we could have blown that out while we were bullshitting...

how is that weld holding up? it was sketchy at best due to that last repair. glad you're still going. if at any time you find yourself in sticksville, CT you guys are always welcome to drop anchor here!

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

To be honest I didn't know how much of an issue it was, when I was at your place it wasn't making noise. I think what happened was instead of going one castlenut notch forward when originally messing with it two years ago I went one back and kept the bearing to loose. I never tightened it and after a ton of dirt roads in Chile it was making a grinding noise which went away with tightening it to about 250 ft/lbs. However; this came back once in Jacksonville, then again in Asheville, and when it came back in Bethlehem I realized tightening it over and over was likely just a bandaid and there must be tolerances which aren't quite in spec somewhere in there. The other side hasn't made any noise because I originally had been able to get that side to 250 ft/lbs.

The real issue was I had a buddy with a professional 6 ft Torque bar, when we went one notch forward it was something like 400 FT Lbs, when we were one notch back it was like 190 ftlbs, so we stayed at 190. I hadn't read anyone's write ups that you are supposed to go one forward Smile.

captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bus and Us - A journey from Alaska to Argentina in a 75 Reply with quote

Wish I knew you were at the Niagara Fall Auto Zone. It's like 45min from my house. I would have come down, lent a hand, and enjoyed some fine "US" Taco Bell for lunch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: