Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update on some progress on my project.
The engine job is going well (I cannot believe all the custom work my builder is doing on this engine !!!), and I have decided on and purchased the wheels for my project. They are from CIP1 and they are called Super Speed (SS) Wheels:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They look like the old school Halibrands from back in the day that are making a pretty strong comeback amongst a lot of hot rodders lately and they have what appears to be the right clearance and offset to fit on my application... (hopefully.... Surprised )
Got a really reasonable price on them and got them in the color I am doing my bumpers and trim in !
All and all, a productive couples of days on my project !! Very Happy

Next, I am looking for what I can use to cover my firewall.
I am torn between going with the original type tarboard or going with something like stainless ( but not that louvered crap )
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated !!

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheels arrived yesterday. They are VERY COOL!
I purchased them specifically for a Ghia application because my front disc brake setup is from an early 70s Ghia - considering that, I felt the rotors and calipers should clear without spacers and the positive offset a Ghia wheel has should help me with tire clearance issues as well.
Mounted them up to see how they fit and I'm pretty pleased with the results so far:

I think that with rolling the fender lips and the right sized front tires, I shouldn't have to go with a narrowed front beam.
I'm not super-opposed to going with a narrowed beam, it's just that because I am going to race this car occasionally, I think the car would handle better with a stock width beam.

Please also note that I am powdercoating my bumpers, door, hood and trunk handles and trim the same color as the wheels.

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The case is back from the machine shop, all of the parts have arrived, so the engine is going together as we speak ! Very Happy

Soon the decision is going to come as to whether I should throw it in and drive it around for a while or do the external bodywork first.
I know it would be smarter to do the bodywork first, but I really want to drive it after waiting this long..... Blue Bug Blue Bug Blue Bug Blue Bug

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

What's the status of this project?
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
What's the status of this project?

Well, it's kind of on hold right now.
I am building a huge addition on my home and haven't had much spare time to work on it.
The engine is assembled to a short block and the tins are here and I media blasted them, but I'm not sure if I am going to powder coat them or paint them with hammered finish paint.
I want the engine tin color to match the bumpers and trim, but my powder coater claims the aluminum trim may bubble or warp under heat, so I may have to just paint the trim, bumpers, door handles, headlight rings and engine tins. I just haven't had the time to prep the material or test coat anything.
I plan on tackling some of the body work over the winter, but I still haven't decided whether I'm going to install the engine before or after the bodywork is completed..
I'd like to drive the car and make it more easily movable and transportable to get the bodywork done, and I also am considering soda blasting the exterior, so I have to decide which way the car would be better suited - engine wise.
I'm really still trying to get my game plan together at this point.
Gotta make a few decisions and get back to it, but the addition has taken priority for now.

Michael E ~ Raceace24

Last edited by Raceace24 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Unless you are going for show quality and restoration, I would put the engine in and drive the thing. As long as your chassis isn't rotting to pieces (which it looks like its not) I'd enjoy the heck out of it. You can always fix fenders and stuff later. Just what I see and what I also did. Got the car running, and slowly fixed the worst areas of the pan and body.

No sense in it looking great and not running.
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
Unless you are going for show quality and restoration, I would put the engine in and drive the thing. As long as your chassis isn't rotting to pieces (which it looks like its not) I'd enjoy the heck out of it. You can always fix fenders and stuff later. Just what I see and what I also did. Got the car running, and slowly fixed the worst areas of the pan and body.

No sense in it looking great and not running.

I'm not going for a "show quality" restoration, but I do want a really solid, nice-quality weekend driver.
I must admit I am getting the itch to drive it, but it looks like at this point, that isn't going to happen until spring... Confused

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

A little update on my project.
I decided to purchase a set of temporary roller wheels and tires for my project because I want to drive the car around after I install the engine and before I paint the car.
I'm not going to put the new wheels and tires on until after the car is painted. The tires that came with the car that are on the Mexi-wheels have great tread, but are dry-rotted to hell. I wouldn't consider putting one mile on those tires.

Two of the tires are brand new and the other two are at 3/4 tread, so they'll do for now. I painted them black because I like that color on the wheels better than I do the original silver.
Also, started my initial cleanup of the front trunk area:

I knew the paint in there was in relatively good shape, but either the PO or the factory had put a lot of hard, yellow glue in there to hold the cardboard insert, so some rubber gloves, a pint of Goo-Gone and a ton of elbow grease later, I'm pretty satisfied with the results! I'm probably going to take another shot a getting it a little bit cleaner in the future, but it's not looking too shabby already !
I also plan on using some light polish and car wax to finish it off.
I also am going to probably get some lacquer thinner to remove the overspray from the fresh air vent box at sometime in the near future.
I'll try to get a couple of pics with the wheels an the car in the next day or two..

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Quick update and pic:
The long block is almost finished !

Pushrods and ratio rockers going on tomorrow.
Getting excited again ! Smile

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Pictures of my engine during assembly:

I was originally going to use these really cool stainless valve covers I got from Chirco that were *supposed* to clear my ratio rockers, but they don't clear one valve adjusting screw, so now I have to look around for different ones... Sad

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Are they the bolt on style finned covers? I'm running them on my Baja with 1.4:1 ratio rockers and a much bigger cam than yours with no issue. That sounds weird that yours are only hitting on one of the screws? Why do the other 7 have clearance Clarence?
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Are they the bolt on style finned covers? I'm running them on my Baja with 1.4:1 ratio rockers and a much bigger cam than yours with no issue. That sounds weird that yours are only hitting on one of the screws? Why do the other 7 have clearance Clarence?

They are clip-ons. I'm using CB Performance Super Stocker 1:25 rockers. On those, the adjusting screw is on the valve side instead of the push rod side like most of the performance rockers My engine builder now tells me that ALL of the rocker adjusting screws are hitting both valve covers
They are barely hitting the valve covers. I suppose that I could get a peening hammer and pound out a little clearance for the rocker screws, but I guess I'll probably just end up getting some bolt-ons...
I like the look of the polished stainless covers and have always felt the clip-on covers seal better and longer than the bolt-on valve covers.

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

A few pics of the now finished floor pans and suspension:

And a couple progress pics of my partially cleaned up cargo area:

Still have a lot of work to do in the cargo area (it's really a slow, painstaking process), but it'll be worth it when it's finished.

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Raceace24 wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:

They are clip-ons. I'm using CB Performance Super Stocker 1:25 rockers. On those, the adjusting screw is on the valve side instead of the push rod side like most of the performance rockers My engine builder now tells me that ALL of the rocker adjusting screws are hitting both valve covers
They are barely hitting the valve covers. I suppose that I could get a peening hammer and pound out a little clearance for the rocker screws, but I guess I'll probably just end up getting some bolt-ons...
I like the look of the polished stainless covers and have always felt the clip-on covers seal better and longer than the bolt-on valve covers.

Use stock covers and bails or you will have leaks. I am running a NOS set of valve covers and bails on my Thing with 1.4"1 rockers and an FK8 cam with no interference issues. Did your rockers have to be shimmed out away from the head to get your geometry correct or something?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

The Scat clip on covers will clear your rockers, they're the only ones that would clear my Pauter 1.4's. You have to bend the bails around to get them to seal though. The only bolt on covers I would use are "C" channel style from Revmaster, CB, or Empi.

Also, unless you already have the ICTs, I'd just buy the 40s and put them on. Doing things twice is pointless and breaking in an engine on one set of carbs and then switching makes no sense, everything will be worn in and seated after a couple hundred miles.

brad
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
The Scat clip on covers will clear your rockers, they're the only ones that would clear my Pauter 1.4's. You have to bend the bails around to get them to seal though. The only bolt on covers I would use are "C" channel style from Revmaster, CB, or Empi.

Yup, from my research I've found that you are correct about the Scat covers, so I have a set coming my way.

slalombuggy wrote:
Also, unless you already have the ICTs, I'd just buy the 40s and put them on. Doing things twice is pointless and breaking in an engine on one set of carbs and then switching makes no sense, everything will be worn in and seated after a couple hundred miles.

Well,
I already bought the ICTs before I decided to go higher performance, so I'm probably going to run them for a while until I can save up the $$ to go out and get a really nice set of 40 Kads.
My engine builder told me that I may not mind the performance of the ICTs that he is going to modify a bit for me, so I'm really going to play it by ear after I get the engine in and run it a while..

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Raceace24 wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:

Use stock covers and bails or you will have leaks. I am running a NOS set of valve covers and bails on my Thing with 1.4"1 rockers and an FK8 cam with no interference issues. Did your rockers have to be shimmed out away from the head to get your geometry correct or something?

I dunno if they had to be shimmed *way* out, but apparently enough to cause an interference issue.
I'm going to try the Scat clip ons for now. I understand they are the best sealing valve covers in the aftermarket. Gonna consider using silicone gaskets as well..

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Raceace24 wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:

Yeah, the rockers had to be shimmed out .120" to get the right geometry.
I bought the Scat clip-ons and they barely clear the rockers ... !😬😬😬

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Quick holiday update to upload some CB Performance goodies I purchased to bolt onto my 1776 engine:

The addition on my house should be completed in the next month or so........., so I *should* be getting back to this project soon ! Cool

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Raceace24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: ~ Raceace24's 1970 Beetle project ~ Reply with quote

Quick update on my project - I finally have finished my home addition, so now it's time to turn my focus back to my project!
Well that and I have to put forks seals in my bagger bike too....! Smile
I found a fiberglass EMPI 70s/ 80s era front hood for the project !

It's in great condition with no cracks and only a couple of very minor nicks in the gellcoat finish.
I'm probably going to have this hood painted as well as a steel one I already have to replace the badly bent up original.
I'd like to have the option to change them out from one to another depending upon my mood and how well the work that I plan on doing to the fiberglass hood works out.
I plan on having a steel, three mounting-pointed frame made to make the hood installation more solid and cut down on the flex and possible cracking that some of these hoods tend to suffer from over time.
I wanted one of these from the very start of this project and I am very stoked to have found one of these hoods !!! Cool

Michael E ~ Raceace24
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: