Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jersey dune buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old jersey, you have those lights in the same orientation as what they would be in a stock VW speedo head (GEN/red on the left and OIL/green on the right, so if that matters to you, its already covered. Given that they are so close to each other, unless you are an engineer that doesn't believe in service loops it should be a simple thing to swap the wires and be done with it.

Very nice build, you've much to be proud of.
eschmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!! and the seats look like they'll be really comfortable for a decently long ride!
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Old jersey, you have those lights in the same orientation as what they would be in a stock VW speedo head (GEN/red on the left and OIL/green on the right, so if that matters to you, its already covered. Given that they are so close to each other, unless you are an engineer that doesn't believe in service loops it should be a simple thing to swap the wires and be done with it.

Very nice build, you've much to be proud of.
No not a engineer. But I don't want to be reminded of them every time I look at them. A easy fix for sure. My work load is heavy right now and it is hard to find some ME TIME!!! Hope to spend a few hours on it toward the end of the week. Thanks for the compliment. Now when I look at other buggys it makes me appreciate the owners hard work. You have just got to love these Big Eyed Machines
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Join the Manx Club and bring that cool buggy to Manx On The Banx in October, I will buy you a beer one evening. The Manx Club events are laid back, all welcome and a blast to go to.
The Manx Club interest me!! Would love to check out other guys builds and see some of the ideas they have. Going to pass on the cold beer ............being a ordained minister...... but thanks anyway.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old jersey wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:
Join the Manx Club and bring that cool buggy to Manx On The Banx in October, I will buy you a beer one evening. The Manx Club events are laid back, all welcome and a blast to go to.
The Manx Club interest me!! Would love to check out other guys builds and see some of the ideas they have. Going to pass on the cold beer ............being a ordained minister...... but thanks anyway.

Well, it would be Mountain Dew for me anyways.

It is free to join the MC website and it is slowly picking up members and more activity. In a year or two, I look for it to be "the" buggy forum. It cost $ 30.00 per year to join the club, which gets a decent discount on the Manx Store buggy parts, a Quarterly publication that is super high quality and full of cool buggy history, column's written by Bruce and guest writers, coverage of MClub event, tech articles and up coming event schedule. It is a Non-Profit Club and last I had heard, 4400 members.

The club is open to all buggy's, and all things buggy. A very cool group of people enjoying the buggy life. And then there is the Manx On The Banx week long event. I usually drive about 800 miles AT the event cruising with other buggy's all over the islands. Very nice event.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old jersey wrote:
Back at the shop and there is some tuning to be done.

Need some help here guys.

1# I took some of the positive camber out of the rear when I was mocking up the chassis. With engine mounted and no body I went a little to far. I now have 2 degrees negative camber with it road ready.

Question I have is it ok to run 0 camber if ride height is not a issue. I'm not up on how camber effect toe in. I would like it to be at '0'

If so how many degrees should I put back into spring to make up for 2 degrees negative on the wheels?

2#Front springs. 1st I removed top spring plates and removed 2 sections of the springs. Did not seem to help. 2nd thing I done was to remove 2 sections from bottom spring. Still did not seem to help much. But after driving it....it work....a little to much. It is sitting with only about 2" of clearance between tires and fenders. I am afraid tires are going to hit the fenders.

I like the ride but it lowered it!!! I am not after the lower look but the softer ride.

I have a extra set of springs. Should I install a full set back in bottom or top or what?
Back to work. After taking lower front end springs out I found out why it sits much lower!!!!!!!

As I built the front springs I mentioned that I cut 2 sections out. I did not mention that I WELDED short sections back in place where the grub screws are.

Where they where welded they BROKE!!!!! I did not think that I heated them up that much. I would think it over before I would do that again.

Link pin front end has 5 solid and 4 split spring plates on the outside. I am leaving center and outside then cutting the two plates between them. JB Weld cut section and rely on the grub screw to hold them in place.
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finishing up a few things seem to be moving slow.

Built remote oil filter mount. AN fittings, braided oil lines, filter mount with Speedhut oil pressure sending unit now installed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for the soft top and a 6volt horn that can be heard (bought a $15 dollar 12volt that you would have thought that was made by EMPI)

Hoping to finish the build up next week.

Finally!!! Just in time for the Circle Yer Wagens in Sevierville Tn.

Any body else going to be there?
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice spot to mount your filter block. Looks good.
Hacksaw44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just wow !!! This is a nice build.
LesbleuBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Jersey dune buggy Reply with quote

Bit of a thread necro I know, but reading through and checking the build I had to pass on Kudo's.
Fantastic build dude, well done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: