Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

JET-A-VATOR Experiment
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: JET-A-VATOR Experiment Reply with quote

*I had posted this in the 50 MPG thread a couple of days ago, but decided it would be better served as its own thread. I'll be updating it as I go.*

I'm trying to improve the mileage I get on my '72 Super.

After reading through various of the MPG threads, I got curious and bought a Jet-A-Vator from Gene Berg Enterprises last week. It's the 30% unit and I bought also a 135 main jet for the carb, upping from the "default" 127.5 I had, on their recommendation.

The Jet-A-Vator comes w/longer studs since it sits between the base of the carb and the intake manifold. I didn't install it on my German Solex 34/3 because I didn't want to mess w/the Solex's base studs and this is a carb that runs really well. It was rebuilt for me by Volkzbitz, and I use it w/a matching DVDA distributor.

So instead I took a 3-year old Euromax 34/3 (only 1 year of use, been in a cabinet for 2 years), opened and cleaned it, replaced the accelerator pump diaphragm, adjusted the choke, and set the three screws (volume, bypass, idle/accelerator arm) per Bentley instructions. Then I installed it, w/both vacuum hoses connected. Car cranked right up and stayed on as soon as the bowl got enough gas in it.

After taking it on the first 20-mile Jet-A-Vator cruise, i pulled over because the idle after warming up was too fast. I re-adjusted the carb, w/the setting ending as follows: volume screw is 1.75 turns out, bypass is 1.5 turns out, idle is good and steady around 900.

Today, I drove it again and decided to check the timing and re-adjust the carb. I've got it timed at about 0-2 degrees TDC/BTDC. Even though I'm running w/a DVDA, I find that at 5* ATDC it doesn't run as well and starts hard. I advanced it the point before where it pings under load and then set the idle.

After adjusting the time, I re-adjusted the carb. 3 turns out of the volume screw, 1 out of the bypass. Idle is steady at 900.

Btw - the engine is an AE code case, stock 1600dp setup, stock muffler, heat exchangers, working flaps and t-stat, correct oil bath filter. Only non-factory item on it is the CB Maxi-2 oil pump/filter combo.

One note - I've always had a dead spot upon acceleration w/this Euromax, when it was new and again now that I put it back on after a thorough clean ing, replacing the accelerator diaphragm and installing the bigger main jet. When new, I had the dead spot even w/a new Pertronix SVDA distributor. So my guess is it's just the nature of a shitty chinese-made carb w/a bad accelerator pump or intake vacuum port. I'll eventually swap the Solex back in, w/or w/out the Jet-A-Vator.

Tank is full, I'll report back on the mileage over the next couple of weeks.
Most of my driving is city so it won't be great, but I know what I was averaging previously because I've kept a log of every single fill-up since I bought the car 2 years ago.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gadgets like the jet-a-vator were popular when fuel prices surged in the 70s. Another gadget that worked about the same was a bolt placed under the pedal to stop you putting it all the way down. That's really how it works, it restricts flow into the cylinders. If you were a lead foot it will save you some gas, if not it won't.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I think you've set your timing all wrong.

Disconnect your vac hoses from the canister and plug them with a screw. Time to 7.5 BTDC and go from there. Taking 5 to 7 degrees off your timing has added it onto the top end. If you're getting 30 degrees at 3000 revs when timed correctly, you'll now be getting 37 or so which is too much. No wonder you're pinging.

Timing is a good indicator of tune. If your engine likes more timing it's running too rich. Go down a jet size

You'll likely get much better mpg just from this simple procedure.

Personally, I'd ditch the vacuum retard anyway. Run just SVDA and the distributor won't be fighting itself
The opinion of the author as expressed does not always reflect that of the author nor does he extend any apologies or assume any liability or responsibility for its content or lack thereof or for any lack of humour of the reader of any content at all, anywhere, ever. The reader agrees to all risk by reading it and is advised that any ‘issue’ is theirs alone as they chose to read it.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv [UK] wrote:
. Run just SVDA and the distributor won't be fighting itself

The double vacuum distributor doesn't fight itself. When it's time for advance, the signal for retard is gone. When it's time for retard, there's no advance signal.

The best thing for the OP to do is to time it correctly according to the book. Hoses connected, set the idle timing to 5ºATDC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Marv [UK] wrote:
. Run just SVDA and the distributor won't be fighting itself

The double vacuum distributor doesn't fight itself. When it's time for advance, the signal for retard is gone. When it's time for retard, there's no advance signal.

The best thing for the OP to do is to time it correctly according to the book. Hoses connected, set the idle timing to 5ºATDC.

I know, it was a poor figure of speech late at night. Past my bed time
The opinion of the author as expressed does not always reflect that of the author nor does he extend any apologies or assume any liability or responsibility for its content or lack thereof or for any lack of humour of the reader of any content at all, anywhere, ever. The reader agrees to all risk by reading it and is advised that any ‘issue’ is theirs alone as they chose to read it.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I'm not a lead-foot so if the gadget won't add mpg w/my typical driving, then it will go on the shelf when i'm satisfied that it's just a gimmick. I'll give it a couple of tankfuls at least, what the heck.

As for the timing - if I go 5* ATDC I have to also have the carb running really rich to get the idle right, and cold and hot starts are both hard - i.e., the engine cranks a few turns before starting up. As I have it now, it starts right up on the 1st hit of the key, whether it's 0*F outside as it's been many a time this winter, or today's balmy 50-something.

I will check the total advance w/the hoses both connected and disconnected report back.

Also, to clarify, the engine is not pinging under load. I drove it, and then retarded it to the point where I wasn't getting pinging anymore. Doesn't land at 5*ATDC when I do it this way. I started timing it this way after reading a several other threads where that was recommended by much more experienced samba folks than me, some of them mechanics. Doesn't mean it's correct but...seemed like it was worth a shot.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't set timing at idle even if it says so in a book. Disconnect all vacuum hoses from the distributor and set fully advanced timing to 28-30. You may have to rev it beyond what same book thinks your advance curve ends at, but that's fine.
Just raise rpm until it is fully advanced. Adjust, and check mileage.
I would not connect the retard diaphragm afterwards. Just plug that hose.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A DVDA won't advance at all with the vacuum hoses disconnected.
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:

DVDA = dual vacuum dual advance.

1 can with 2 nipples :giggle: for dual vacuum
Vacuum advance and mechanical advance for dual advance

DVDA with no vac =mechanical advance.

Maybe the convicts stole your other advance Wink just kidding as a pom Wink
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran out of time to check/re-time. But - in 79 fill-ups over the last 2 years I've averaged 22.15 MPG, mostly city driving. Seems pretty shitty to me. The highest I've ever managed is 31.52MPG, which I think was on last Memorial Day weekend's round trip to the BugOut in VA.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason behind the "adjust with hoses disconnected blah, blah" is that an old or in our world unknown distributor that may have been badly repaired or modified or just worn - will not have the correct advance curve. The important part of the curve to us is at load and higher rpms. That generates the power, longevity and fuel economy.
The reason we are recommended to adjust at idle is partly because that is the important part for ancient pollution control, and partly because those recommendations refer to new distributors in perfect order inserted in new factory stock engines.
It's been a while since then.
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a dual vac distributor in my 64 w/ bastard 40 horse and 30pict-1

Left off the vacuum line for the retard, only connected the advance. Timed to total of 32 degrees with vacuum line off, then reconnected the advance vacuum line.

Runs great.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D-vac can is a refurbished one, has a sticker on it from the refurb business identifying it as so. So it may be a safe assumption that setting the timing per Bentley at the 5 ATDC at idle is probably long a thing of the past for this dizzy.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:

Mine does every single time I check it with the hoses disconnected.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK. I was confused. This has been pointed out, how about getting back to the original topic?

If you want perfection talk to my ex-wife. Me - I have been wrong before, was wrong in this instance, and will be wrong again in the future. Sorry to disappoint you.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
I'm running a dual vac distributor in my 64 w/ bastard 40 horse and 30pict-1

Left off the vacuum line for the retard, only connected the advance. Timed to total of 32 degrees with vacuum line off, then reconnected the advance vacuum line.

Runs great.
so... did that basturd 40 horse have the basturd valves&basturd crank/rod combo Iv'e heard about hear before? Shocked so.... who was this dumb basturd that did all this stuff and why? was he addvanced or retarded???? and why was the retard vacuming lines up??was it ajax with the blue dots? Wink it might be time to get a good fully mec addvance dist like the cb magnasparkler or petronix flamingthrower. or a good new svda set up corectly by somebody that has the machine7knowhow to do it corectly and then somebodt to tune the rest of the engine so it all works togeather as it should.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sticking w/my '72 German Bosch DVDA, both hoses connected. I'll try and dial the timing in based on the advice you all have posted, then back to running w/the jet-a-vator to see if it's just a gimmick gadget. Although I was under the impression that items coming from Gene Berg Enterprises where as a rule not gimmicks.

Btw, the DVDA i'm running is VW 113-905-205AJ.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Also, to clarify, the engine is not pinging under load. I drove it, and then retarded it to the point where I wasn't getting pinging anymore. Doesn't land at 5*ATDC when I do it this way. I started timing it this way after reading a several other threads where that was recommended by much more experienced samba folks than me, some of them mechanics. Doesn't mean it's correct but...seemed like it was worth a shot.

Sounds like you know more about timing than all the suggestions above.

If you can advance your timing as far as possible without pinging or overheating you should be fine, and be getting much better fuel mileage at the same time. The more you advance it the better fuel mileage until you over do it. I always time this way too.

The only thing is that you will have to keep a close eye on evereything when doing this. A hot day, some bad gas, a drop in altittude will be more likely to cause pinging, overheating, or worse yet some serious knocking, when timed this way.

Also for fuel mileage you want vacuum advance.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
A hot day, some bad gas, a drop in altittude will be more likely to cause pinging, overheating, or worse yet some serious knocking, when timed this way.

Looks like he lives in Virginia, they have no "altitude", like we have in the western states. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 31

Jump to: