Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine tweak ideas?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manimal80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Engine tweak ideas? Reply with quote

Brand new to the vw world.

Yet, interestingly enough, I start with a caddy!

I'll proudly be the first to admit, I had an obsession leading in to it. A 2 year long one.

Finally , I'm the proud owner of my very own gas powered 1600 cc go kart and can still haul!!

Just curious, does anyone in this thread have tuning tips for the 1.6L Gas engine that will allow me to still get decent gas mileage?

I want some "get out the way" ideas, while still enjoy ism almost 30 miles per gallon.

Thanks
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think probably the first major mod would be swapping the 4-speed for a diesel 5-speed. They have the tallest 5th gear. Something from a diesel Mk 2 should work just fine. I'm sorry about the 1.6 gas engine. My expertise runs to diesels only. My 1981 Caddy has a modified 1.9 turbodiesel.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, a tall 5th gear. Then a 10:1 CR 1.8L motor, 2" or a 2 1/4" exhaust, a bigger cam and a decent tri-y header. My Rabbit was getting 30mpg @ 80mph with a not 10:1 CR motor and those things and would still haul the longest steep grades with no issues(in 4th gear as 5th was too tall).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: