Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Herman's pressure lubricated Syncro transmission update
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
itzdshtz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Herman's pressure lubricated Syncro transmission update Reply with quote

Hi all, it has been a while that I have posted but I thought that I'll let you know about changes that I have made to my transmission.
It has been about 9 years since I upgraded my Syncro transmission by adding a pressure lubrication system to it and I have been wondering how much wear there would be on the most critical parts, like ring and pinion and bearings.
The transmission went through some hard pulling when my clutch plate rusted to the flywheel from sitting inside the barn all winter, I had to drive it around the block with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor while in low gear and getting on and off the throttle till it finally broke free, it was like pulling several vehicles out of the mud.
I have about 30.000 on it now and I would like to upgrade to a S/A main bearing housing that wasn't available at the time and that I still feel is a weak spot, at the same time I thought I could upgrade my engine from a 2.0 TD 5 cylinder to a 2.5 M-TDI 5 cylinder to improve torque and mileage.

After disassembling the transmission I found that there was no wear at all on the bearings and ring and pinion (4.86 ratio) but there was some wear inside the main bearing housing, you could see that the bearing had been moving a bit and left some shiny spots inside the housing, the pinion bearing bore was still perfectly round.

The synthetic oil looked like new and there was only minor fuzz on the magnet of the drain plug.

I had ordered a main bearing housing from GoWesty and made a retaining plate for the bearing and added a spray tube to the fourth gear set.

Another improvement was a "spine" that I made to support the housing, I ended up lowering the engine and transmission about one inch to give it enough clearance between the tank.

Also I installed a high performance clutch because the new engine will put out about 120 HP.

Here are some pictures:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/URL][img]
No wear at all on the bearing.

You can see some wear in the bore.(top left)

[/img]
[img
[/img]
The bearing mounting plate, the spray nozzle and SS splash plate.

[img]

[/img]
[img]
The "spine" that I have made.

[/img]
This is the reverse gear that I narrowed down a bit so that I could fit a slightly thicker bearing mounting plate

This is the 2.5 M-TDI engine.

I'll will update this post when the van runs again.

Cheers Herman

Edit: put text under pictures
2005 Audi allroad 4.2
2005 S4
http://vanagonsyncroproject-herman.blogspot.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/itzdshtz/VanagonSyncroProject02

Last edited by itzdshtz on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back! Your ground-breaking mods are frequently referenced here and elsewhere. Can't wait to see more about your engine upgrade

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, your Vanagon and your mods are inspirational!

What pump did you use for the lubrication?
itzdshtz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, Paul and others have some great ideas as well, if we keep trying to improve it bit by bit, we may end up with a transmission that will last.

Svenakela: I have used a power steering pump from an Audi 5 cylinder on this engine, the 1.9 TDI that is ready to go into the blue Syncro uses a P/S pump from the Golf, it is hiding below the Vanagon pump and has the double pulley on it. I had to make a simple bracket to mount the original Vanagon P/S pump a little higher up.

Double pulley on Golf pump

Pump in and outlet

Edit: added more pictures
2005 Audi allroad 4.2
2005 S4

Last edited by itzdshtz on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:41 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain simple and ingenious.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see updates and nice to see you posting again Smile

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! Great to hear that the effort seems to have paid off.
I've completed a cheap facsimile of your original oiling ideas on my own trans.

I like the look of your trans brace /spine - I'm surprised that you needed to lower everything to get that in there - it seems pretty low slung!
That is a project on my short list.

So, you used a power steering pump to circulate your trans oil. That means that you've had continuous circulation, hot oil, or morning cold? If I'm not mistaken, those pumps can pump a large volume too, no?
I had considered that route, but wasn't sure that I wanted to try to circulate oil all the time, particularly under cold starts.

Perhaps that is unfounded concern.

All very interesting.
Thanks for posting!
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for leading the way, Herman. I hope you don't mind us referring to our mods as "The Full Herman". I hope you continue to keep us updated.

I believe any concerns with thick oil on cold mornings could be addressed by using JayCee's oil filter mount with pressure relief. Filter type would be 60-100 micron System 1 or similar with stainless Betamesh screen .. NOT a standard pleated paper filter.

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully not thread drift...
But, I don't know specifically about the Zf pumps like Herman's, but I've *read* that PS pumps can require several horse power to pump the volumes they pump, particularly at high RPM, not to mention 2 of them...

Not sayin' I'm against the idea! It has lots of things to like over an electric pump.
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:
Hopefully not thread drift...
But, I don't know specifically about the Zf pumps like Herman's, but I've *read* that PS pumps can require several horse power to pump the volumes they pump, particularly at high RPM, not to mention 2 of them...

Not sayin' I'm against the idea! It has lots of things to like over an electric pump.

Except that it will be very little or no pressure in a system with open squirters. The pump is idling even at high RPM.
itzdshtz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, it's funny to see that.

The bypass looks like a real nice unit and should work well I think. How much do they cost?

I just drive the grey Syncro in summer time only so it has not been a issue for me, but in the blue one with the 1.9 TDI I was thinking of putting in a 12 volt solenoid valve with an adjustable Hayden thermostat so that when the engine is cold, the oil just bypasses back to the pump. When it warms up, the thermostat closes the bypass valve and the oil gets pumped through the tranny.

2005 Audi allroad 4.2
2005 S4
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to combine a mechanical pump with a temperature triggered pulley clutch like on an AC compressor.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Herman's pressure lubricated Syncro transmission update Reply with quote

[/img]
[img]
Herman, you do beautiful work! That spine is so nice!

I was wondering if you noticed anything inside the tranny that the brace was needed? I am just very curious to hear about that... I added a brace to my 5 speed AAP tranny just as extra insurance to keep all that tranny as stiff as possible.

Thanks!
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itzdshtz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13: Yes that would be the best way, I looked at that but the A/C clutch assembly is just too big for an easy conversion. You could probably do it if you didn't have A/C.

Thanks Pedro, I didn't notice anything inside but it was what happened to Mike Ghia who found transmission fluid dripping from the fuel tank above it, that made me realize that there is a lot of stress on the housing during a heavy haul, and then there is also the 5 cylinder vibration issue of the S/A Vanagons.

I have a band saw so it was easy to make out of 1/2" steel plate, I think that it all helps a bit to make it last longer.
2005 Audi allroad 4.2
2005 S4
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itzdshtz wrote:
Thanks Pedro, I didn't notice anything inside but it was what happened to Mike Ghia who found transmission fluid dripping from the fuel tank above it, that made me realize that there is a lot of stress on the housing during a heavy haul, and then there is also the 5 cylinder vibration issue of the S/A Vanagons.

I have a band saw so it was easy to make out of 1/2" steel plate, I think that it all helps a bit to make it last longer.

I have been thinking about doing the same thing on Limey ever since I had the issue.

All of the 5 cylinder SA vans have a brace there from VW but the Syncro fuel tank gets in the way of fitting it. I still have an original brace somewhere...

There are two versions of the bell-housing and also 2 versions of the brace to suit.

I've no idea how I'm going to be able to make up something as nice as that though...

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itzdshtz wrote:
Zeitgeist 13: Yes that would be the best way, I looked at that but the A/C clutch assembly is just too big for an easy conversion. You could probably do it if you didn't have A/C.

The clutch is a really good idea.
Have you considered an electrical pump? There are small pumps that works pretty good (even aftermarket pumps for Harleys). Of course it's a little bit more expensive than using an old servo pump but you are free to mount the pump where it fits and it can easily be managed with a thermostat.

Here's a nice write up on the subject.
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm
itzdshtz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting link.

I looked into an electric pump also but I think they are ideal for racing, I wonder how long they will last running all the time. The P/S pump never gave me any problems at all and puts out around 30PSI. It is a bit more work but it bullet proof.
I wore out 2 electric pumps for my intercooler and decided to simplify things a bit and went to an air cooled I/C in the D pillar with a small fan under it and an air scoop on the intake.
2005 Audi allroad 4.2
2005 S4
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Herman's pressure lubricated Syncro transmission update Reply with quote

With all the discussion these days about improving or replacing the Syncro transaxle, it is heartening to see how well Herman's transaxle fared with his various mods and pressure oiling system, especially with a 5-cylinder direct injection diesel powering the vehicle.

I am giving his last few posts a bump here as they are germane to this whole discussion and in a post I will put up soon, I am posting up a few of his amazingly well-rendered pics (from Photobucket) here on the Samba so that they are not lost in the internet ether/purgatory.

Again, many thanks to you, Herman.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Herman's pressure lubricated Syncro transmission update Reply with quote

Herman's The Man, so I'm looking forward to seeing those reposted photos and any future updates.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itzdshtz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Herman's pressure lubricated Syncro transmission update Reply with quote

Well thanks guys, if we keep at it, we can improve this thing and make it last.
I'll look through my pictures too because there are quite a few that I never put out there.

Cheers Herman
2005 Audi allroad 4.2
2005 S4
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: