Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

99 Passat No Crank, No Start, Automatic
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: 99 Passat No Crank, No Start, Automatic Reply with quote

This is my son's car. I am experienced with water cooled VW's, just not this 1.8T... (more of an ABA, VR6 kind of guy...)

Issue is, out of the blue, turn the key and nothing happens. Lights on dash are on, radio plays, windows work, gas door opens, trunk opens, fuse 14 ok, etc, etc, just no crank of the starter, and no click of the starter solenoid. I pulled the ignition switch and checked the switch for continuity when the key is turned. It all appeared ok. BUT, when switch is plugged in and key is turned, I do not get 12 volts across to the red wire to the red / black stripe wire. I do get 12 volts across the other red wire to the yellow and black wire.

I tried bypassing the safety solenoid, no luck. Even tried a jumper on the ignition switch, no luck (red to red/black when key turned). I am led to believe that CCM is OK since all those features seem to work, although the carpet seems kind of damp (it has been a long winter). Brake switch turns on brake lights, so I assume it works to enable starting of the car?

Any ideas on systematically working from battery to starter? Should I not get 12V across the red wire to red/black wire when the key is turned? Could it be as simple as a suddenly bad ignition switch?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the electrical portion of the ign sw would be a cheap enough diagnostics tool. And the brake sw has nothing to do with starting. Does it crank if the battery is connected for a jump? How old is the battery? A Bently manual will show you what terminals on the switch to look at.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not crank when hooked up for a jump. The battery was new last summer. I supposed "I" should bone up for a Bentley... being that it is not "my" car... Shocked OR it will never get fixed Exclamation

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids are great, aren't they?

Have you tried jumping the starter solenoid at the starter? That'll let you know if the starter is good or not.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not. It sits so low to the ground that I need to get a jack under it to even understand how to access the starter. (Practical, I know.)

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are low. You might as well check all that you can before tossing money at it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: