Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

To link to this post copy and paste
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621995&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A[/url]

72-79 Air Non Return Flaps:
021 119 263 A Left
021 119 264 A Right

Thanks to Karl (rip)
Small=Right side Big=Left side
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks to jerseylooker
#41 & #42

Thanks to Mayor Ratwell
2. Control Flaps (blue):
72-79 Bus Heating System

German Supply 021 119 263 A Left Flap
German Supply 021 119 264 A Right Flap

Last edited by Tcash on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they had a little bit of foam around the edge too when new. For the pins I use a finish nail cut to the right length to slide in and hold the flaps. The cover holds the pins in.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heater Box air flaps
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Heat Exchanger Covers 021 256 321 D/ 021 256 322 B Reply with quote

1975 Kombi wrote:

Left 021 256 321 D -------------------------------Right 021 256 322 B
Gskt Lft 021 256 325 A------------------------Gskt Rght 021 256 326 A

thanks to mayor ratwell
72-79 Bus Heating System

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16558&cat=&page=1
http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16559&cat=&page=1
http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16389
http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16388
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Heat exchanger Fan shroud Air inlet cover plates and gaskets Reply with quote

Google these part numbers.
021 256 321 D/ LEFT COVER PLATE, L, EXHAUST PREVENTS HEAT LEAKS
021 256 322 B/ RIGHT COVER PLATE, R, EXHAUST PREVENTS HEAT LEAKS

Thread on subject.
Non-return Flap Pins

Gaskets:
Thanks to Mayor Ratwell
Making Fan Shroud Gaskets

Covers and gaskets.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/results.php?partnumber2=021%20256%20321%20D
http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/home.php?cat=298&page=7

Good Luck
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Non-Return Air Flap (L) 021119263A (R) 021119264A Pins 02111 Reply with quote

mountain bug wrote:
NOS Non-Return Air Flaps. Dealer purchased in the 80s, on the shelf since.
L Air Flap 021 119 263 A
R Air Flap 021 119 264 A
Flap Pins 021 119 270
VW Parts Book adds: "Shorten to 56mm for left flap".

They had small foam seals glued onto them. Over the 30 or so years on the shelf, they have dissolved and disintegrated so all that's left is the glue. See Photos. The Foam kept them from rattling more than for sealing.

Edited for content.
Tcash
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

I'm installing a pair of these non-return flaps and am going to glue a small foam and wondering what temperature range these pieces should expect?

Thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
I'm installing a pair of these non-return flaps and am going to glue a small foam and wondering what temperature range these pieces should expect?

Thanks!

The fan shroud will be hottest after shutdown, so maybe 250+°F on a not day. I just use copper silicone to seal the heat exchangers to the fan shroud and to seal the little covers, applying a bead to the sealing surface and then letting it skin over well, but not completely cure before assembling the parts. This makes for a custom fit which adapts for the parts being bend out of shape over the years. The flaps themselves don't need to seal very well as they will be open whenever the engine is running.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

Any suggestions on source for suitable foam? What are people using? Thanks in advance!
(sold - but not forgotten)
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

As Tcash said, they're really for anti-rattle. Cork, rubber, etc will work, but foam ain't gonna last.

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
Any suggestions on source for suitable foam? What are people using? Thanks in advance!

I would not use foam again. As Wildthings noted .....use a thin even layer of high temp RTV. It really is only for anti-rattle and abrasion. Its what I have been using for decades.

The problem with foam is,that it needs to be super soft, thin and light. The foam they used from memory...and its been 30 years since I have seen any.....appeared to be that light crispy ,polyethylene foam.

The closest and softest that has reasonable temp rating is EDPM foam. Great for water.....super soft.....good to 200°....but not great for oil.
The original foam was good with water and oil...but bad with heat. Turned to dust pretty quick.

You only need maybe 1/32" flat bead of RTV. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lawryrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

Greetings,
I am working to determined what happened too overheat my type 4 and it appears that these flaps may be a root cause.

IF these air non-return flaps get stuck closed, it results in cooling air being blocked from the heat exchanger and thus overheating exhaust manifold.

Thoughts?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

It's possible, but it would have to seal up real good, how did it get stuck?

But a cooked heat exchanger isn't going to do much of anything towards making the engine hot, it's downstream of all the cooling air.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

They will certain break off and cut down on the air flow through the heaters lessening the heat to the cab.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

the flaps prevent the overhead fan from pushing air backwards. When I assemble an engine, I use a small video camera ($16, link below) and a hair dryer to verify that both flaps are operational. They can bind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PBF6DX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

All of the VW Type 4 style engines that I worked on for myself and a few acquaintances, were missing all of the flaps & covers, as well as the left-hand exhaust heat-exchanger & silencer (i.e. muffler in USA parlance!) support bracket, which reputedly fastens onto the engine cooling-fan shroud.

I managed to acquire a set of flaps & covers, but I have yet to see an exhaust support bracket in the "flesh". If I had a paper pattern, I could make one of these brackets out of stainless-steel. Smile Cool

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

This is 1975-1978. There are different ones for different heat exchanger configurations 021 256 303 B is the 1975-78 part number. It may also work on the earlier heat exchangers, I don't know. You can google the part number. I think Scott may have made some reproductions at one time. Ken Madsen at TheBusco may have a used one.

You wrote in 2007

NASkeet wrote:
phip wrote:
I know about 021 256 303B, for the left side. Is there a support on the right side? Is it the same part or a different one? Does anyone have the part number?

Since German Supply is out of stock, does anyone know of another source for this part(s)? I'll post a classified before too long, but if anyone has some, do PM me!

I have yet to come across any VW Type 4 style engine, with the aforementioned left-hand side bracket (VW part No. 021 256 303B) fitted!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the flaps prevent the overhead fan from pushing air backwards. When I assemble an engine, I use a small video camera ($16, link below) and a hair dryer to verify that both flaps are operational. They can bind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PBF6DX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you rev the engine even the tiniest bit at idle you can feel the air flow through the heaters pick up, so even at idle the pressures are about the same on both sides of the flaps, and by the time you rev the engine to around 1500 rpms the cooling fan is putting out more pressure than the booster fan and the flaps at the booster are forced shut. My personally experience is that if you weld patches over the holes in the top of the heat exchanger where the vertical pipes from the booster hook up, by eliminating the many potential leaks you will have about the same airflow through the heat exchangers at idle as you have with the booster working 100% correctly, and above idle even more air flow.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
This is 1975-1978. There are different ones for different heat exchanger configurations 021 256 303 B is the 1975-78 part number. It may also work on the earlier heat exchangers, I don't know. You can google the part number. I think Scott may have made some reproductions at one time. Ken Madsen at TheBusco may have a used one.

years ago my first vw mechanics (john and peter at overdrive in northridge) told me to wrap a coupla large hose clamps around the muffler and j pipe to more fully support the muffler and tail-pipe assembly. so, today there are three stainless steel clamps doing just that.

ever since my first engine r&r the support bracket has been missing (thanks, joe's buggy haus). both avery's and busco had them (thanks, steve), so my engine will also upon the next r&r.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Air non return,Flap,Flaps,Fan Shroud,Heater,021119263A,264A Reply with quote

In Great Britain, the 1972~78 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 exhaust heat-exchangers & silencers are all the same.

In Great Britain, the 1979 VW 2000 Type 2 exhaust heat-exchangers, which have the same exhaust-port connections as the 1980~83 VW 2000 Transporter T3 (i.e. Vanagon in USA parlance!), looks very similar.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: