Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Very basic question: How do I remove grease/oil from paint?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrkotfw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Very basic question: How do I remove grease/oil from paint? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Over the past few months, I've been fixing my daily driver. It has this horrible bright yellow color (original paint is red) and has a lot of grease/oil stains.

I tried using isopropyl alcohol and rubbing out the grease stains, but it's not 100% effective.

What can I do?
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I;m guessing you mean the grease/oil has soaked in, to the point It is no longer on the paint, it in the paint, and maybe to the primer.

Since I can't think of any compound or chemical that wouldn't damage the paint also, I'm going to say you can't. But I don't know everything. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrkotfw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
I;m guessing you mean the grease/oil has soaked in, to the point It is no longer on the paint, it in the paint, and maybe to the primer.

Since I can't think of any compound or chemical that wouldn't damage the paint also, I'm going to say you can't. But I don't know everything. Sad

I doubt that it's in the paint. They're smudges. I've been working on the engine and occasionally I will touch the doors, touch the fenders with my greasy hands.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrkotfw wrote:
Air-Cooled Head wrote:

I doubt that it's in the paint. They're smudges. I've been working on the engine and occasionally I will touch the doors, touch the fenders with my greasy hands.

Air-cooled-head is correct.....they ARE in the paint. The paint surface unless its really the highest gloss level of polish possible.....is porous under a microscope. The oil and grease get into those pores and the viscosity to pore size differential is too high for the grease to be easily gotten out....because the depth of the pores is deeper in microns....than the width of the pore openings are.

So each cleaning pass just gets a layer off the top of each little column of grease in the pores.

A combination of very hot water and high pressure....with an industrial degreaser added in....and a little bit of Jet-dry spot remover/surface tension additive like you sue in a dishwasher will probably be as good as you can get without using a solvent hot enough that will also dissolve the paint.

For degreaser/soap...try some powdered dishwasher detergent...because most have a rinse additive in them already...mix it up strong in very hot water and run it through a cheap pressure washer...bearing in mind that most $100 pressure washers from sears/wal mart and Harbor freight are not set up for long usage with hot water. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrkotfw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
mrkotfw wrote:
Air-Cooled Head wrote:

Air-cooled-head is correct.....they ARE in the paint. The paint surface unless its really the highest gloss level of polish possible.....is porous under a microscope. The oil and grease get into those pores and the viscosity to pore size differential is too high for the grease to be easily gotten out....because the depth of the pores is deeper in microns....than the width of the pore openings are.

So each cleaning pass just gets a layer off the top of each little column of grease in the pores.

A combination of very hot water and high pressure....with an industrial degreaser added in....and a little bit of Jet-dry spot remover/surface tension additive like you sue in a dishwasher will probably be as good as you can get without using a solvent hot enough that will also dissolve the paint.

For degreaser/soap...try some powdered dishwasher detergent...because most have a rinse additive in them already...mix it up strong in very hot water and run it through a cheap pressure washer...bearing in mind that most $100 pressure washers from sears/wal mart and Harbor freight are not set up for long usage with hot water. Ray

Wow, I'm glad I asked. Thank you for the excellent explanation.

My father has a pressure washer. I believe it's Honda. I'll see if hot water is possible.

Thank you.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrkotfw wrote:

My father has a pressure washer. I believe it's Honda. I'll see if hot water is possible.

On the bottom of the home hot water heater there is a spigot and a hose connection.
Stuart Maingot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD 40. Allow it to penetrate for a few minutes b4 using the pressure washer.
mrkotfw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
mrkotfw wrote:
Air-Cooled Head wrote:

Just a few questions that I didn't think of when you posted, but:

1. What kind of industrial degreaser do you recommend?
2. What is the mix that you recommend? How much hot water to degreaser to Jet Dry spot remover?

Stuart Maingot wrote:
WD 40. Allow it to penetrate for a few minutes b4 using the pressure washer.

Good idea, thanks
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had decent luck with wax and grease remover (from autopaint store - the FLAP & walmart stuff is notably inferior to the autopaint store stuff).

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been using simple green on the inside of my engine decklid, over time with a few cleanings its removing more staining each time and on parts I've even got the shine back on the OG paint. I'm pretty pleased with it as it seems nice and gentle on the paint and using it as well.
mrkotfw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update:

Using Simple Green Pro HD Heavy-Duty Cleaner Liquid Solution, a sponge, and WD-40 worked very well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: