Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MississaugaManx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest reply from Haggerty....I really wish they would stop calling it a dune buggy.

Thank you for contacting Hagerty! We understand your concern and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.
In the U.S., our underwriting company there now allows us to consider original Meyers Manx dune buggies built between 1964 and 1971, as long as they are not used for off-roading and the insured has provided proof such as the owners card and/or picture of the emblem and serial number plate. Unfortunately, we do not have these same guidelines available in Canada.
Additionally, while there is no specific decline rule applicable for dune buggies in Alberta, unfortunately we are unable to offer coverage on them in Ontario per decline rule # 7.35. If you have any further questions regarding the details of the decline rule, you are welcome to contact our Canada program underwriting company, Aviva.
We do apologize for any disappointment or inconvenience.
mrflew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Hi just wondering if anyone in Ontario was able to get insurance other then very expensive facility insurance for for dune buggy this year? I still have had no luck.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MississaugaManx wrote:
Latest reply from Haggerty....I really wish they would stop calling it a dune buggy.

Umm... it LOOKS like a dune buggy. Why would they call it anything else?

bnc
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Having an insurance company that will not insure a "Dune Buggy" is one of the most unreasonable things they can do.
I had my insurance agent tell me they were unsafe, I asked him if he would insure my new Suzuki Hyabusa instead, he said "sure, no problem". Then I continued to ask him why will you insure a 2 wheeled vehicle with 150 hp and call my 4 wheeled vehicle with 60hp unsafe? No answer?
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

You expected logic from an insurance company?
Surely you jest....

(With way more projects than spare time!)
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

I was told from 2 of the 15 companies that turned me down that all insurance companies have to offer you insurance. Its called "Facility Insurance" You will pass out at the price but both said it will open ay 3500.00/yr and up from that.
Bastards will take your money no problem.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:
I was told from 2 of the 15 companies that turned me down that all insurance companies have to offer you insurance. Its called "Facility Insurance" You will pass out at the price but both said it will open ay 3500.00/yr and up from that.
Bastards will take your money no problem.

They have to offer insurance on one primary vehicle not extra vehicles. So, your sedan will be covered. They don't have to cover your toy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Well then, they forgot to mention that little tidbit
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

lostinbaja wrote:
Having an insurance company that will not insure a "Dune Buggy" is one of the most unreasonable things they can do.
I had my insurance agent tell me they were unsafe, I asked him if he would insure my new Suzuki Hyabusa instead, he said "sure, no problem". Then I continued to ask him why will you insure a 2 wheeled vehicle with 150 hp and call my 4 wheeled vehicle with 60hp unsafe? No answer?

Manufacturer constructed, DOT certified motorcycle, vs Homebuilt vehicle of unknown quality is the primary reason.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
lostinbaja wrote:

Manufacturer constructed, DOT certified motorcycle, vs Homebuilt vehicle of unknown quality is the primary reason.

^^^ details, details... Laughing

bnc
jrailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

I went with my normal company that I have my other cars and home with 90 a month for 20k coverage. I don't know why hagerty doesn't cover I had a kit 23 t bucket that was not near as safe as my manxter and they do all the fiberglass ford kits go figure
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

jrailer - a little off topic but, Hagerty just took on Kathleen's Manxter and our (real) Manx. They just wanted to see the Meyers Manx tag on the body. They acted like they had never heard of a Manxter. But they know now. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
jrailer - a little off topic but, Hagerty just took on Kathleen's Manxter and our (real) Manx. They just wanted to see the Meyers Manx tag on the body. They acted like they had never heard of a Manxter. But they know now. Tom

That's how silly this has become. A man could duct tape a Manx together, while another could go overboard on safety with his clone and not qualify???...
I know a safety check is in order but ,...just say'n...?
dunebuggy1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=off_roading_groups&g=SEMAGA
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Part of the problem here is what cars have been called "Dune Buggies" lately. Tube chassis off road cars should be called sand rails. Little ATV's should not be called dune buggies. It seems any off road vehicle is now called a dune buggy. The insurance companies don't know the difference, and it causes problems. Just my $0.02 Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Quote:
you are welcome to contact our Canada program underwriting company, Aviva.

Contact Aviva!

That is who I am insured with.

Not sure how it works in other provinces but in Alberta you register the vehicle to get the plate, you are free to go where ever you want for insurance....

My buggy is registered and insured as a 1960 modified dune buggy.
I had to get an appraisal done, insurance is based off the appraisal.
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
Part of the problem here is what cars have been called "Dune Buggies" lately. Tube chassis off road cars should be called sand rails. Little ATV's should not be called dune buggies. It seems any off road vehicle is now called a dune buggy. The insurance companies don't know the difference, and it causes problems. Just my $0.02 Tom

I 100% agree with this.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as Glasser. Registered the buggy and picked up the plates no problem.

I went through Competition Insurance (www.competition.ca), offices in Edmonton and Calgary. They insured me via Hagerty, best rate I could find by far... with better coverage.

Cheers,
CWAT
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Glasser wrote:
Quote:
you are welcome to contact our Canada program underwriting company, Aviva.

Contact Aviva!

That is who I am insured with.

Not sure how it works in other provinces but in Alberta you register the vehicle to get the plate, you are free to go where ever you want for insurance....

My buggy is registered and insured as a 1960 modified dune buggy.
I had to get an appraisal done, insurance is based off the appraisal.

In Ontario you must prove it is insured before you get the plates
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Dune Buggy Insurance Is No Longer Possible? Reply with quote

Call your fiberglass car a "Kit Car" instead of a Dune Buggy. Like said above all off road vehicles are now called Dune Buggy's.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: